DMN: So You Want Bollinger To Start?

sweetness0986

Reaction score
I'm on the bandwagon where I'd rather take a chance at winning with Bollinger than no chance at all with BJ. We aren't going to beat the Giants with 13 points. No way. If we put Bollinger in and he throws 4 interceptions? Well, at least we tried. It wouldn't have been any worse of an outcome than losing with Brad and at least we wouldn't be saying what if.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
zack;2378538 said:
If Bollinger had a real team in Minn, then we can compare. Let's see what he can do with some weapons on offense...

:hammer: Precisely

yimyammer

Reaction score
Might as well throw Bartell into the conversation, too bad he didnt stay on the practice squad

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbailey423;2378598 said:
then WHY ARE EITHER OF THESE TWO CLOWNS IN DALLAS? We don't want to hear about how bad Bollinger is or how weak Brads arm is now...those things should have been figured out in the offseason....when there at least strong armed former starting QBs....like Leftwich available. Pitt was not afraid to bring Leftwich in. We have weapons...tons of them....but they are useless without the ball.

Hefty Lefty sucks... plain & simple.

Garrett had Culpepper in Miami, so I'm guessing he knows all about him.

What other prized back-up QB's can you come up with there scooter?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Let's say our chances are 20% with Bollinger then....

With Johnson, I think our chances are pretty close to zero.

It's a no-brainer.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Brad Johnson is 3-7 in his past 10 starts. Here are his stats --

20-of-33, 185 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT (31-7 loss to Patriots)

21-of-31, 136 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT (9-3 loss to 49ers)

18-of-30, 257 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (23-17 loss to Packers)

26-of-44, 262 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT (24-20 loss to Dolphins)

27-of-41, 274 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT (31-26 win over Cardinals)

11-of-26, 73 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT (23-13 loss to Bears)*

14-of-22, 159 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT (30-20 win over Lions)

10-of-17, 96 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT (26-13 loss to Jets)

17-of-34, 234 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT (34-14 loss to Rams)

19-of-33, 122 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT (13-9 win over Buccaneers)

183-of-311 (58.8 pct.), 1,798 yards, 7 TD, 14 INT

*-Bollinger went 7-of-9 for 70 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, in relief of Johnson

WarC

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2378619 said:
*-Bollinger went 7-of-9 for 70 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, in relief of Johnson

He also went down in that game with an injury and was out for the remainder of the season, being replaced with Tarvaris Jackson who at the time was the Vike's 3rd stringer.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Johnson's passer rating in his past 10 starts = 63.0

Bollinger's passer rating in his 10 starts = 69.7

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sweetness0986;2378605 said:
I'm on the bandwagon where I'd rather take a chance at winning with Bollinger than no chance at all with BJ. We aren't going to beat the Giants with 13 points. No way. If we put Bollinger in and he throws 4 interceptions? Well, at least we tried. It wouldn't have been any worse of an outcome than losing with Brad and at least we wouldn't be saying what if.

We try either way be it Johnson or Bollinger if Bollinger goes out and hands the game outright to the Giants then no we did not give ourselves a chance to win. Whoever is out there can't help the Giants with bonehead throws the staff does know that Johnson will throw it away in a bind. I agree if Johnson plays we have to put up more than 13 points and if Bollinger plays then he needs to keep in mind that throwing it away is not always a negative thing. If Dallas wins it is not going to be due to Johnson or Bollinger it will be because the team went out and played a good game and made few mistakes. While I don't think either can carry this offense I do think Johnson is less likely to make back breaking mistakes.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2378630 said:
Johnson's passer rating in his past 10 starts = 63.0

Bollinger's passer rating in his 10 starts = 69.7

Yikes. I’ll take Crayton at this time. What’s his college stats? OR Stanbecks?

cowboyed

Reaction score
stasheroo;2378548 said:
If he had comparable talent around him and struggled, I could buy those numbers a bit more.

He didn't.

So I don't.

What I do know is the lame job that Brad Johnson having surrounding talent as good as any QB in this league.

It's one game anyway.

I'll take Bollinger and a slim chance over Johnson and no chance.

And that's exactly what it would be.

Ay, caramba. Dead on.

Zman5

Reaction score
11-of-26, 73 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT (23-13 loss to Bears)*

I have a feeling this is what Johnson's going to do this weekend. :bang2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Zman5;2378643 said:
I have a feeling this is what Johnson's going to do this weekend. :bang2:

I don't think that will happen. If he is playing that bad and turning the ball over I think he would be pulled from the game.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2378633 said:
We try either way be it Johnson or Bollinger if Bollinger goes out and hands the game outright to the Giants then no we did not give ourselves a chance to win. Whoever is out there can't help the Giants with bonehead throws the staff does know that Johnson will throw it away in a bind. I agree if Johnson plays we have to put up more than 13 points and if Bollinger plays then he needs to keep in mind that throwing it away is not always a negative thing. If Dallas wins it is not going to be due to Johnson or Bollinger it will be because the team went out and played a good game and made few mistakes. While I don't think either can carry this offense I do think Johnson is less likely to make back breaking mistakes.

Thank you. A voice of reason over emotions.

Bollinger doesn't have any sync with this offense. He hasn't practice throwing routes to T.O., Witten, Crayton or Williams.

It's not just a matter of throwing the ball and letting T.O. or Williams catch it. They (the receivers) have to be in the right place. They have to anticipate when the ball is thrown based on the route they run. And Bollinger has to get the ball to them. Then he also has to read defenses, especially a defense as accomplished as the Giants' defense.

I doubt he can manage all this with four practices.

The "benefits" of Johnson starting is that he's seen it all. he has nearly 20 years of experience. Yes, he doesn't have the greatest arm. But I expect his timing with the receivers will be better because he's been playing for three weeks.

And, as stated, he knows how to get rid of the football.

He'll keep us in the game so, hopefully, we can win it at the end.

Yes, a tall order. But I'd rather have Johnson than Bollinger starting against the Giants.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2378655 said:
Thank you. A voice of reason over emotions.

Bollinger doesn't have any sync with this offense. He hasn't practice throwing routes to T.O., Witten, Crayton or Williams.

It's not just a matter of throwing the ball and letting T.O. or Williams catch it. They (the receivers) have to be in the right place. They have to anticipate when the ball is thrown based on the route they run. And Bollinger has to get the ball to them. Then he also has to read defenses, especially a defense as accomplished as the Giants' defense.

I doubt he can manage all this with four practices.

The "benefits" of Johnson starting is that he's seen it all. he has nearly 20 years of experience. Yes, he doesn't have the greatest arm. But I expect his timing with the receivers will be better because he's been playing for three weeks.

And, as stated, he knows how to get rid of the football.

He'll keep us in the game so, hopefully, we can win it at the end.

Yes, a tall order. But I'd rather have Johnson than Bollinger starting against the Giants.

You can always pull Johnson if he is making costly mistakes but I think if we are staying close with the Giants then they will leave him in.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
As pathetic as Johnson is at this age, Bollinger is a fringe NFL player at BEST. Trust me when I say we do not want this guy on the field. Suck up one more conservative effort from Johnson and we get Romo back.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Hostile;2378667 said:
It's like having to choose between diarrhea and constipation.

I'd choose constipation, but that's because I hardly have it. ;)

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2378649 said:
I don't think that will happen. If he is playing that bad and turning the ball over I think he would be pulled from the game.
it doesnt even matter if Johnson plays that bad which i expect him too at least at that pace then by the time Johnson is pulled it will have been too late to have any chance at a comeback anyway!