News: DMN: That's right national writer ranks Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith as NFL's best

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I have him in the top five. Not likely #1 IMO. Maybe this year though.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The whole oline has to be top 5 minus free.

Agree. Can't say they keep trying to replace Free. Other than drafting Chaz Green, they really haven't addressed it. But it's us fans that want him replaced more it seems. It has to happen soon though.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Even if Smith weren't regarded as #1, he'll surely do until someone better comes along (and how likely is that?)

perrykemp

Reaction score
It would be difficult to argue that Tyron Smith doesn't belong in the short list of top 2 LTs in the league.

Having said that, it's hard to rank him above Joe Thomas who is both excellent and steady. Thomas turned in another fantastic season last year allowing just 1 sack despite blocking for a motley crew of QBs. Tyron Smith gave up 8 sacks.

I think it's a certainty that Tyron is the top run blocking LT in the league. I just think Thomas believe a superior pass-blocker tips the scales in favor as it relates to LTs.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I read this as a projection, who is the best tackle in football in 2016 and going forward.

It seems like run blocking kind of gets discounted by most people. Thomas is better than Smith because he's "more consistent" in pass pro, despite the consensus that Smith is far and away the best run blocking tackle in football. Not saying that's wrong. After all, Tyron's #1 job is protecting Tony. Just sayin'.

Daillest88

Reaction score
If Smith isn't the best yet, he will be this year . Collins is going to explode this year

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Left, right. Left, right.
The NFL has long considered left tackle one of football's most important positions (moreso than the right tackle spot) because that player protects the quarterback's blind side. But in putting together his list of the league's best offensive tackles, SI.com's Greg A. Bedard chose to ignore left vs. right.

And No. 1 on Bedard's list is Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith.

Here's what Bedard wrote about Smith, who anchors the left side of what is considered by most to be the NFL's best offensive line.

Smith allowed just 22 pressures last season according to PFF and while there are bouts of inconsistency, they are few and far between at this stage in his career as his technique rises to an elite level. Smith has the prototype frame and athletic ability, and he's now coming into his own. Thomas is more consistent as a pass blocker, but Smith is an absolute butt-kicker in the run game and that's why he should be the best tackle in the game this season. Smith is on his way to a Hall-of-Fame career.

Washington's Trent Williams was ranked third by Bedard. And Philadelphia's Jason Peters was No. 9.

Read more on si.com

Continue reading...

This surprises who?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The only reason Smith wouldnt stand out as the best is that he will have a game or two a year someone gets the best of him like JPP and Oliver last year. However Ive seen plenty games where he has made players ( including JPP) look like complete scrubs.

He litterally made Robert Quinn look like a practice squad player

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
But, but muh 8 sacks?

Oh, I see the regular suspect has already chimed in.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have him in the top five. Not likely #1 IMO. Maybe this year though.

Ahhh too 5 is a little low. Can't think of 4 LT better than him. Lets go with top 2, depending on if you prefer him or Thomas

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Either him or Joe Thomas.

But no tackle in this league has the combination of his freak athleticism and technique.

Probably will go down as our best LT ever.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our OL is championship caliber. It still boggles my mind that we had an 0-7 stretch with it. Smith is probably the best in the game at his position I agree.