News: DMN: Troy Aikman impressed by additional scrutiny Dak Prescott has faced that Wentz has not

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I don't know that the organization has come out and talked to him privately and said, 'Hey look, just so you know, you're the guy going forward regardless of what happens.' So, there's some pressure on him...I think that, for me anyway, makes what he's been able to do even more impressive.
Troy nails it yet again. Cowboys brass has continued to fail in not making it crystal clear that they're sticking with Dak for the remainder of the season. They're just not acting upon anything and using every passing week as an opportunity to "see if it's now time to replace him". It's a weak approach if you ask me but who am I really... Even amidst that veiled indecisive approach to the dilemma, Dak continues to impress at every turn.

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't think it's such a bad thing for Dak to feel the pressure to perform each week. I get that some people want him to be comfortable in small failings. But Dak will be playing in front of millions of viewers against aggressive defenses week after week. I'm sure he can take the pressure of not knowing if Romo will come back in. He knows he is a rookie and he has said many times that this is Romo's team.

The possibility exist that Dak suddenly starts to struggle and it's needed to give the wheel back to Romo. Just as Romo will feel the pressure of Dak if he gets back in the game. When you have 2 high level QB's you will always have pressure to perform because of the guy on the bench.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think Troy is criticizing the Cowboys organization for not telling Dak that he's "their guy." I think he's merely giving credit to Dak for holding up to the pressures of knowing he might be replaced at some point, in addition to the pressures of the game itself. I can't honestly say as I blame the FO for wanting to take the safest position possible.

There's no doubt that Romo would be under pressure of having to equal Dak's success in the event he eventually steps back into the picture himself. I think there's probably a good chance that he'd deal with the pressure quite well also. We have two excellent QBs who are both good in the way they deal with pressure. There are many teams that would love to be in that situation.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Troy nails it yet again. Cowboys brass has continued to fail in not making it crystal clear that they're sticking with Dak for the remainder of the season. They're just not acting upon anything and using every passing week as an opportunity to "see if it's now time to replace him". It's a weak approach if you ask me but who am I really... Even amidst that veiled indecisive approach to the dilemma, Dak continues to impress at every turn.

Who's to say they haven't discussed this with Dak? IMO, Dak during his pressers doesn't seem to strike me as someone out of the loop.

And I think you took Troy's post completely different than what he was saying.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
I think them not telling him & keeping the pressure on him to perform well & win games is a good idea. Why? Well, if we make the Playoffs & he's still the starter, he'll already be adjusted to pressure & will be ready for whatever he has to deal with when those big games happen. He'll rise to the occasion.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Well for one none really know what conversations the FO has had with Dat or Tony, if any, maybe there is no conversation to be had ... it is quite possible out of respect to Tony that when healthy and ready to go he will be given every opportunity to lead this team to the promised land, at this point in the season this team looks as good as any team in the league, a healthy Tony firing on all cylinders would be a great thing.

Proximo

Reaction score

You're privy to all of the conversations the organization has behind closed doors?

Just because they haven't made their intentions crystal clear to you, doesn't mean they haven't made them crystal clear to Dak and Romo.

You're making a judgement that they've failed at something based on 100% speculation.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
I actually eel it's better to give Tony a shot but it's better that the FO makes Dak believe he has a shot to remain the starter. I'd bet that Jerry never thought he'd be faced with something like this. 6-1 and been in every game? After what happened last season without Romo?

Still.. IMO, let Tony have his shot and tell Dak he will be given his job back as well if Dak ever gets injured and the backup performs well. I also think they are going to have to wait until Dak loses a game.

Reaction score
I don't see why the FO is obligated to publicly commit either way. You think King Belichick would go out of his way to give you that clarity?

JDSmith

Reaction score
Who's to say they haven't discussed this with Dak? IMO, Dak during his pressers doesn't seem to strike me as someone out of the loop.

And I think you took Troy's post completely different than what he was saying.

Some of our posters will look at a quote or statement or situation and see/hear something entirely different than the rest of the world? You don't say...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I don't know that the organization has come out and talked to him privately and said, 'Hey look, just so you know, you're the guy going forward regardless of what happens.' So, there's some pressure on him...I think that, for me anyway, makes what he's been able to do even more impressive.
"No guarantees" goes with the gig of being a backup QB.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Agreed. I wish they'd make it crystal clear that this is either Dak's team now, or it's not and it's still Tony's.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Well for one none really know what conversations the FO has had with Dat or Tony, if any, maybe there is no conversation to be had ... it is quite possible out of respect to Tony that when healthy and ready to go he will be given every opportunity to lead this team to the promised land, at this point in the season this team looks as good as any team in the league, a healthy Tony firing on all cylinders would be a great thing.

I for one am glad our " issue" this year is having 2 capable QB's instead of what we lived through last year. Dak is the future, and Tony deserves mega credit for holding up this franchise in many ways by himself.

When and how he plays this year is secondary to me . Getting him a ring any way we can would be great....

Deep_South

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't committing to Dak being the starting quarterback because Tony is still occupying that position. Jerry has said that and so has Dak. Like I opined before, I don't think it has anything to do with Dak's performance, they're just waiting for Tony to be ready and he'll play. (Garrett said Tony played some 11 on 11s for the first time this week, so one would think his time to start is getting closer...) In other words, if Dak lost to the Eagles last week and loses to the Browns today, it doesn't get Tony out there any faster, I don't think, or Sanchez, for that matter. To me, Dak is more like QB 1A than 2. He's just played to well to think of him as merely the backup.

dallasdave

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't committing to Dak being the starting quarterback because Tony is still occupying that position. Jerry has said that and so has Dak. Like I opined before, I don't think it has anything to do with Dak's performance, they're just waiting for Tony to be ready and he'll play. (Garrett said Tony played some 11 on 11s for the first time this week, so one would think his time to start is getting closer...) In other words, if Dak lost to the Eagles last week and loses to the Browns today, it doesn't get Tony out there any faster, I don't think, or Sanchez, for that matter. To me, Dak is more like QB 1A than 2. He's just played to well to think of him as merely the backup.
Well said, Stay thirsty my friend.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I for one am glad our " issue" this year is having 2 capable QB's instead of what we lived through last year. Dak is the future, and Tony deserves mega credit for holding up this franchise in many ways by himself.

When and how he plays this year is secondary to me . Getting him a ring any way we can would be great....
Dallas winning the Super Bowl this year any way is great for me, no I take that back it would be TOTALLY AWESOME!!