DMN: Watkins, Horn, MacMahon takes on Deion/T.O. interview

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
DallasEast;2433622 said:
Back to the Future. Let's return to 2004. Let's even dismiss the final two regular season games since Philadelphia had already locked up homefield advantage before Roy Williams injured Owens, which caused him to miss those two games.

The Eagles won both the NFC Divisional and Championship games without Owens. He was not involved in the offense during those two crucial games.

Let's jump ahead to Super Bowl XXXIX. Owens, with a surgically repaired ankle literally weeks before doctors would even consider clearing him medically fit to play, morphed into SUPERMAN and grabbed nine catches for 122 yards.

Let's finally stop at the end of that game and ask, "Who won?"

Well, it's wasn't Philadelphia despite him being involved in the Eagles' offense.

That's where I disagree with Owens' philosophy. With him being highly involved and productive within the offense, Dallas has an invaluable weapon for winning a sixth Super Bowl. But for ANY team to win a Super Bowl, that team cannot depend on just one player's expectations. It takes a team effort.

McNabb threw three interceptions in that Super Bowl. Did Owens' Herculean efforts offset his quarterback's poor performance? Nope.

For any player, winning Super Bowls shouldn't have anything to do with numbers and everything to do with being a cog in an unstoppable machine. Owens doesn't have to be superhuman and post huge numbers for this offense to be deadly. He simply has to be highly productive with whatever his opportunities are--regardless of whether those receiving or trick play attempts per game are numerous, average or far below his own personal expectations.

Still, the interview was abbreviated. Perhaps he elaborated more upon his statement, "You can't obtain that championship if I'm not involved in the offense". All that I know from his comments now is that Owens believes that Dallas doesn't have a chance in hell for winning a Super Bowl this season UNLESS he is utilized exactly as he expects.

As a football fan, I do not share that view. We have a very capable quarterback.

Our running back is a Barbarian amongst his peers.

Our tight end is always mentioned within an elite circle of three (and sometimes only two).

We traded for another very good wide receiver (contrary to unquoted Lions fans and Lions fans sympathizers).

We have a very good number three receiver, who thinks he's a solid number two with a mouth to match...

We have an offensive line which, when it plays as a unit, is as good as any of the best in the league.

And we have a fullback that loves crickets.

Needless to say, we have a great offense that's sputtering right now. Coaching and improved run and pass blocking can fit that problem. That should be the goal of this offense to become elite again. The goal shouldn't be, "Give me the ball X number of times and you will get your Super Bowl".

It's not a necessity for this team to reach the promised land.

Wow. Great post.

You're bolden portion in red via #81 is a problem It could be the very reason why he'll only hinder this teams chances of success. Romo, I'm sure, looks for #81 on every passing play and has forced the ball to him just to keep him "involved" and the whining at bay. It's a catch 22 with this guy. All he really needs to do is remain quiet, do what's asked and he can retire with a ring.