News: DMN: Zack Martin has done pretty well for himself as the guy Cowboys drafted instead of Johnny...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any one out that wants to admit they wanted Johnny at the time? :muttley:
Still do....:eek:....:lmao:

Jerry looking pretty smart here....yeah, Jerry...want to blame him on things, well then give him credit too...on this one....
I do not believe the deal with him taking Johnny at the time. Not to the way we were lead to believe those events.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish every article, broadcast and discussion (including my post) could talk about Zack Martin without bringing up whats-his-face. Dallas drafted Martin. That's what happened and it has proven to be a home run selection. We didn't select whats-his-face. The franchine never had any professional relationship with whats-his-face. What actually happened was the drafting of a now two-year, helluva two-time Pro Bowl offensive guard. Instead of solely acknowledging and taking pride in the acquisition of a cornerstone player who has helped create a dominant offensive line, we keep mentioning the name of someone we have zero history with. Doing so sullies the very brief but outstanding on-going career of a player who may end up becoming a legendary Dallas Cowboy.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

Jerry looking pretty smart here....yeah, Jerry...want to blame him on things, well then give him credit too...on this one....
I do not believe the deal with him taking Johnny at the time. Not to the way we were lead to believe those events.

I'll admit it. I'm ashamed to admit I wasn't under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Just stupidity.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I'll admit it.. I never wanted JM. I seen how well Tryron and Fredrick turned out and understood how the FO was trying to mirror the 90's. I believed what a great OL could do for Murray and how it would prolong Romos career. Not to mention help any future QB. I personally thought Johnny was too small to ever be an Elite QB. As much as folks like to crap on the FO, they never give them credit when credit is due. They had a vision of the future and they succeeded with thier plan. We have the best OL in football and this will set us up in the future.
I should also admit though.. I didn't see the fall of JM of this nature coming... As well, I didn't realize Zack Martin, AKA "The President" would be this good.
FYI.. And the next great FO pickup is going to shine this year. La'el Collins. GoCowboys!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I did not want him because I thought it was highly likely that he would bust. If we had drafted him, I would have hoped that that belief was wrong, but I'm certainly glad it wasn't tested.

This is one reason I do not get too upset over draft picks we've missed on. There are plenty others we could have taken instead of the ones we hit on. I would prefer perfection in the first round every year, but show me the team that does it.

rynochop

Reaction score
I'll admit it. I'm ashamed to admit I wasn't under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Just stupidity.

Ha..way to admit, not stupidity, just hoping he could be the next great one. There were a ton of folks on here saying Jerry would be an idiot to not draft him.

I didn't want him, but Even the biggest detractors didn't think he'd be this big of a train wreck

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I admit, I wanted the Cowboys to draft Manziel. But once we passed, I was okay with it too because his dropping further in the draft meant he may not be worthy of a top pick. Of course, I didn't know he had the problems he did. Had I know that, I definitely wouldn't have been for drafting him.

But I don't feel ashamed at all for wanting Manziel. I don't claim to be omniscient with respect to knowing 100 percent who is going to be a star and who is going to be a bust.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Jerry has been telling everyone for two years he wanted Manziel.

Craig

Reaction score
Aaron donald has done well for himself as the guy the rams drafted instead of johnny manziel.

Craig

Reaction score
Ha..way to admit, not stupidity, just hoping he could be the next great one. There were a ton of folks on here saying Jerry would be an idiot to not draft him.

I didn't want him, but Even the biggest detractors didn't think he'd be this big of a train wreck

Over a year before his draft when he was running around the backfield in college i was saying he wouldnt mak it in the NFL. I did not know that he was gonna be such a mess of the field he wouldnt get a chance to fail on it.

rynochop

Reaction score
Over a year before his draft when he was running around the backfield in college i was saying he wouldnt mak it in the NFL. I did not know that he was gonna be such a mess of the field he wouldnt get a chance to fail on it.

Yeah, his game just didn't transfer to the NFL, especially with his size.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I wish every article, broadcast and discussion (including my post) could talk about Zack Martin without bringing up whats-his-face. Dallas drafted Martin. That's what happened and it has proven to be a home run selection. We didn't select whats-his-face. The franchine never had any professional relationship with whats-his-face. What actually happened was the drafting of a now two-year, helluva two-time Pro Bowl offensive guard. Instead of solely acknowledging and taking pride in the acquisition of a cornerstone player who has helped create a dominant offensive line, we keep mentioning the name of someone we have zero history with. Doing so sullies the very brief but outstanding on-going career of a player who may end up becoming a legendary Dallas Cowboy.

Its the Greg Ellis/Randy Moss effect. Its what happens...

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Didn't want any part of Manziel and didn't want any part of Gregory

Disagree. Gregory where he was taken was worth the risk, IMO.

The problem is the consistent risk they take with a valuable 2nd round pick.

Haven't hit since Sean Lee... Wake up FO.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Disagree. Gregory where he was taken was worth the risk, IMO.

The problem is the consistent risk they take with a valuable 2nd round pick.

Haven't hit since Sean Lee... Wake up FO.

I agree with you but I'm to the point where I'm done seeing us take risks early in the draft.

We skip out on Free Agency every year and then we use draft picks on guys that are not available to the team whether it be drug related or injury prone. It's hurting our team.