Do DT Signings Indicate Cowboys are Done With Trysten Hill?

MojaveJT

Reaction score
I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt with this new coaching staff. If he can’t do anything during or after this season, then cut or trade his arse.

I had no confidence in the JG era and his staff to coach up anyone.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...A coaching overhaul in Dallas could end up helping Hill. While many praise Marinelli’s abilities to develop young defensive linemen, it’s fair to note that new DL Coach Jimmy Tomsula is also very respected in the league...

...Since taking over the Cowboys, Mike McCarthy has confirmed that the defense will remain playing with four defensive linemen. Is Trysten Hill in their plans? And if so, can Tomsula turn his career around as Kris Richard did with Byron Jones?...

https://insidethestar.com/will-cowboys-dt-trysten-hill-be-a-different-player-in-2020/

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Done. It's so silly. Hill is not going anywhere. He was drafted as an athletic specimen who was a project. Too bad Marinelli gave up on the project, but Hill will get another chance with a new coaching staff. An NFL offseason should boost his strength up too.

Do people think guys that big with that much burst grow on trees?

I was disappointed that we didn't see the burst that I was expecting when he was out there. Hopefully, it was because he was thinking too much. He's a big guy who doesn't play with great technique so he needs that burst to give him an advantage. If he can't get off the ball quickly, offensive linemen are able to lock on, turn him around and move him aside.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If Rod had any self righteousness within himself whatsoever he would get up on the table during the draft and demand they give Dallas a third for him.

Problem is Mayoack will tell him to get lost, Jerry thought he had a clue

Then again, Mayock signed every piece of garbage out of Dallas possible.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys are done with Hill but that will ultimately be determined by how he responds in practice to earn time on the field during games. We need young talent on the DL that can be coached and learn from the older dogs like Poe and McCoy.

king987

Reaction score
I certainly don't think they're done with Hill after one year, but it's pretty darn evident it was a mistake using a 2nd rounder on him. They have no confident in Hill right now, at least to start. And obviously, they just needed bodies at DT, period, no matter who it was.

I do think Hill and other draft picks and signings were plenty reason why it was time to move on from Marinelli.

I remember being a Marinelli fan when he was first brought in, but that dwindled over the years. It started at, "alright, we got a DC with a excellent track record." It transitioned to, "Well...at least he's still knows how to mold his defensive lineman." To finally, in the last year or so, "Yeah...I think the game has passed Marinelli."

tunahelper

Reaction score
The DT signings indicate that Hill didn’t do crap last season and that his days could be numbered. He didn’t even show he had any potential. He wasn’t even good enough to suit up for games. To say he was a disappointment would be an understatement. His rookie season was a complete flop!

Hill was so clueless and off the depth chart he didn't even know what a healthy scratch was in the NFL.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He will get every chance to prove himself because the Front Office wants to be right about all of the praise and hype they put out about drafting him last year.

Pick should have been Juan Thornhill. Hopefully, those in the room that wanted him will have more of a voice and anyone (still remaining) who wanted Hill will be quiet.

Was a bad, bad pick. All of the warning signs were ignored. Hopefully, Front Office has learned from it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was disappointed that we didn't see the burst that I was expecting when he was out there. Hopefully, it was because he was thinking too much. He's a big guy who doesn't play with great technique so he needs that burst to give him an advantage. If he can't get off the ball quickly, offensive linemen are able to lock on, turn him around and move him aside.

I didn't look for it, but some said they saw the burst and the energy, but really nothing else. Poor strength and technique. Pretty much, as advertised as a developmental draft pick, but no development to speck of.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The author answered every one of the questions he posed.

No, the Cowboys aren't "done" with Hill, but they've made it abundantly clear that they're not counting on him either. They've covered themselves with two short term starters to buy time. They did the same thing with Quinn when they knew Taco wouldn't be in the team's long term plans, they traded for Quinn.

But as was written, this staff has no vested interest in making sure Hill succeeds - it's on the player, and it should be. I doubt that he will be cut before this season starts, but no disappointment would shock me with this player so far. He has to prove it, nobody has to assume the best when it comes to him, least of all these new coaches.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course it doesn't mean the Cowboys are through with Trystan Hill. All it means is that they don't plan on him starting at DT this year. Time might prove he will never be ready to start, but for now getting McCoy and Poe does not mean the end of the road for Hill. At a minimum the Cowboys will be hoping Hill will develop into a solid rotational/depth player even if he never proves to be a starter.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Silly.

Hill did struggle. That came to a head in games where he, bizarrely, was asked to play 1T after spending no time there and being too small to play that role (at least without a full off-season to get bigger).

Combine that with the coaching staff's pearl clutching after he fell asleep when Isiah Thomas spoke! How could he disrespect such a legend! Note that Thomas retired in 1994. Hill wasn't born until 1998. While it is bad to fall asleep on while someone is speaking, you can't expect he had any idea who Thomas was.

cern

Reaction score
Time for young mr. Hill to sit or get off the pot.