Do DT Signings Indicate Cowboys are Done With Trysten Hill?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It does seem like he’ll be a second round reserve player for a little while longer, but Philly did this once with Brandon Graham and it turn out alright. In 2010 we drafted him 13th overall(?) and he got injured right away. That was the Michael Vick eruption year. Then that offseason was the dream team thing and we got Jason Babin to line up across from Trent Cole, and they proceeded to combine for 28 sacks in 2011.

About that time everyone thought Graham was done in Philly; lo and behold it couldn’t have been further from the truth. So until he’s done, he’s not out yet.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It does seem like he’ll be a second round reserve player for a little while longer, but Philly did this once with Brandon Graham and it turn out alright. In 2010 we drafted him 13th overall(?) and he got injured right away. That was the Michael Vick eruption year. Then that offseason was the dream team thing and we got Jason Babin to line up across from Trent Cole, and they proceeded to combine for 28 sacks in 2011.

About that time everyone thought Graham was done in Philly; lo and behold it couldn’t have been further from the truth. So until he’s done, he’s not out yet.

Graham started 6 and played in 13 his rookie year. He was hurt (only 3 games) the next year.

Hill played 11% of snaps and was a healthy scratch for 9 games. On a team that was desperate for healthy DT's.

Not even close to the same thing.

Bad draft picks happen to every team. Usually, a GM or scout is held accountable after enough bad picks and loses his job. Jerry can make reckless picks because he is accountable to no one.

kumizi

Reaction score
They're not going to outright release him. Obviously, he didn't show jack **** so they're not counting on him.

So I'm confused by the question.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I don't understand why there has to be so much hyperbole because a team attempted to fill out its depth chart with some decent older players. Things good teams do every year, and we should have been doing, each and every year, instead of the bowl-of-turds we usually signed. Ain't nothin' wrong with cheap 30ish players who can contribute.

Of course they aren't done with Hill. That's what I call "donkey brains". They aren't putting all their eggs in his basket though, I mean this is common sense, right? Maybe he can pick up something from McCoy and Poe, especially McCoy.

DanA

Reaction score
We only have 3 confirmed DT's on the roster (excluding Crawford) and DT's rotate so there is plenty of opportunity for Hill to play if the talent warrants it. But he's a very different type to McCoy and Poe.

Big_C_KU

Reaction score
Not giving up but pretty sure Dallas knows he isn’t ready to be the starter. Hopefully DT is a 4-man rotation of McCoy-Poe-Hill-Woods with all even amount of snaps.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best thing Hill has going for him is that Garrett and Marinelli is gone.

SSoup

Reaction score
We signed a super fatty who is almost 30. Fat dudes often don't age the best.

And we signed a 32-year old dude with a lot of miles on him who can hit the wall at any moment. He's arguably already on the downslide -- he peaked at 9.5 sacks in 2013, and since then he's fallen to 8.5, 7, 6, and finally 5 last year. He's solid against the run but his pass-rush numbers indicate a clear downward trend in his skill and value.

It wouldn't be a surprise if either or both of those guys was no longer considered starter material if they have bad 2020 seasons. So it's not like we went and got guys who will block anyone from having a future here.

Additionally, McCoy's snap counts have gone down. In 2012 and 2013, he played 87% and 91% of his team's snaps. That fell down into playing 70-something percent and last year he fell to the point of playing 63%. There's room for a good backup to get a bunch of playing time and, if they're any good, make the most of it.

More to the point, we'd be hilariously stupid to have counted on Hill and saved a starting spot for him after he was invisible for his rookie year, and after we changed coaching staffs and schemes on top of that. If he shows up to play, he's got a backup role there for the taking where he could feasibly get about 40% of our snaps. Maybe that sounds like nothing to people, but Randy Gregory gave us 6 sacks in only 45% of our snaps in 2018. If Hill is good, he can earn a serious chunk of playing time and really prove himself to be a contributor in a smaller role before we start making plans to give him a big role.

Verdict

Reaction score
Done. It's so silly. Hill is not going anywhere. He was drafted as an athletic specimen who was a project. Too bad Marinelli gave up on the project, but Hill will get another chance with a new coaching staff. An NFL offseason should boost his strength up too.

Do people think guys that big with that much burst grow on trees?

I’ve heard a lot about burst. I haven’t seen much burst. I have seen some bust. I’m just sayin’....

Verdict

Reaction score
He will get every chance to prove himself because the Front Office wants to be right about all of the praise and hype they put out about drafting him last year.

Pick should have been Juan Thornhill. Hopefully, those in the room that wanted him will have more of a voice and anyone (still remaining) who wanted Hill will be quiet.

Was a bad, bad pick. All of the warning signs were ignored. Hopefully, Front Office has learned from it.

Spot on

Tussinman

Reaction score
He will get every chance to prove himself because the Front Office wants to be right about all of the praise and hype they put out about drafting him last year.

Pick should have been Juan Thornhill. Hopefully, those in the room that wanted him will have more of a voice and anyone (still remaining) who wanted Hill will be quiet.

Was a bad, bad pick. All of the warning signs were ignored. Hopefully, Front Office has learned from it.
Terrible pick.

What makes me mad was Crawford was expected to be a cap casulity. They could of cut him and upgraded both DT spots which is what any intelligent front office would of done (Shelton and Hankins signed 2019 for the combined price of cutting crawford).

This is why you don't play games in free agency, it screws up the draft. They could of upgraded both DT spots and then picked Thornhill in the 2nd who was predicted to be a day 1 starter at a position of need

Instead they to take a "reach" pick because they refused to do anything in the offseason for DT

They literally could of upgraded 3 defensive positions without it costing them anything extra........ :facepalm::facepalm:

Beaker42

Reaction score
Do DT Signings Indicate Cowboys are Done With Trysten Hill?
https://insidethestar.com/do-dt-signings-indicate-cowboys-are-done-with-trysten-hill/

...A year ago that prediction was based on the idea that Trysten Hill, after a year of grooming, would be able to step into a larger role. That’s what you typically expect from second and even third-round picks in most cases.

But it was a rough rookie season for Hill, not getting much playing time early and also being disciplined by then-coach Jason Garrett for tardiness and sleeping at team meetings. However, his performance did seem to be on an upswing by the end of the year.

Clearly it wasn’t enough for the Cowboys to trust him in 2020, though. They added Gerald McCoy on a three-year deal to play the same spot on the line, the “3-tech” DT role, where Hill is most suited. The fact that it’s a three-year contract is especially damning. It’d be one thing if it was just a single-year deal; a chance for Trysten to keep being groomed and learning from one of the best in the business. But McCoy’s three years will run through the end of Hill’s rookie contract with Dallas...
Hill could’ve been had in the 4th AND WE TOOK HIM IN THE 2nd. I hate Rod M with every fiber of my being and Will McClay for signing off on both Charlton and Hill. We better start drafting wiser and better.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Terrible pick.

What makes me mad was Crawford was expected to be a cap casulity. They could of cut him and upgraded both DT spots which is what any intelligent front office would of done (Shelton and Hankins signed 2019 for the combined price of cutting crawford).

This is why you don't play games in free agency, it screws up the draft. They could of upgraded both DT spots and then picked Thornhill in the 2nd who was predicted to be a day 1 starter at a position of need

Instead they to take a "reach" pick because they refused to do anything in the offseason for DT

They literally could of upgraded 3 defensive positions without it costing them anything extra........ :facepalm::facepalm:

Dt still hasnt really been upgraded. Might be a tiny bit better but they're both just fill players

Tussinman

Reaction score
True, but I could have sworn I read D Ware came back and worked out with Tank and other current Cowboys on many occasions. No?
D-ware hasn't been a part of the team for 6 years. He left a few months after Tank was signed and then played 3 season for Denver. 4th year (2018) he was a linebacking consultant for the Bronocos and worked to improve rookie standout Bradley Chubb

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think the scheme is going to switch to a hybrid 2-gap / 1-gap scheme and he’s gonna struggle with two gap elements but he might actually benefit this year coming in as a rotational pass rusher because we don’t have anyone else like him.
He would be one very big stand up OLB and quite the anomaly.. although he does have time, that equates to a roster spot... Jelks seems to fit that role on the edge in what your referring to I believe.
Just as far as body type to play that role, right now.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
D-ware hasn't been a part of the team for 6 years. He left a few months after Tank was signed and then played 3 season for Denver. 4th year (2018) he was a linebacking consultant for the Bronocos and worked to improve rookie standout Bradley Chubb
I know that. But I also read that he worked out with Tank and other current Cowboys players. Hence me saying Tank learned from him.