Do DT Signings Indicate Cowboys are Done With Trysten Hill?

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I wouldn't hold my breath. Not saying he won't or will succeed but some of the reports coming out about him trouble me. He doesn't seem motivated or care at this point. I can live with his poor production last year but poor production and poor attitude?
I agree 100%.

He needs to mature real fast, I'm just not ready to give up on him yet. Not sure why I like the kid, he goes against most things I stand for. But I am rooting for him.

I think we will know very early whether he's turned the corner or not.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hold off on the anointing oil.

But the truth is after 25 years of futility most fans have something they don't like about this team. Whether it is the dad and son way of running things or a player acquisition or a players contract. Most have something they don't like about this team. Some are still mad about the firing of Tom Landry. Some are still mad from the whole Jimmy Johnson situation. For me right now it's the drafting of both Conner Williams and Trysten Hill. I'd didn't and don't like either of those guys, because I saw them as backups the moment they were drafted. Second round backups. And that's why there is so much bickering among us fans because most have something that they don't like about this team.

You are not suppose to draft backups in the second round. IMO.
I don't know how you saw that. You have a argument for Hill because if I'm not mistaken he was a backup in college too. But there was no indication Connor would be a backup here and hell he really hasn't been. He's been injured but for the most part he he has a spot on the offensive line in some form or fashion.

Cowboys got cute with Hill. No doubt about it. No way around it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree 100%.

He needs to mature real fast, I'm just not ready to give up on him yet. Not sure why I like the kid, he goes against most things I stand for. But I am rooting for him.

I think we will know very early whether he's turned the corner or not.
I want him to win. Don't get the impression he's a bad guy or anything.....I don't even know if the reports are true but it seems to be consistent with what was reported in college. Hell this defense needs him to improve.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
If Rod had any self righteousness within himself whatsoever he would get up on the table during the draft and demand they give Dallas a third for him.

Problem is Mayoack will tell him to get lost, Jerry thought he had a clue

Then again, Mayock signed every piece of garbage out of Dallas possible.
People seem to put this pick entirely on Rod when both Richard and McClay were both on board and spoke very highly of him when he was drafted.

Not pointing the finger at you, just so many people ignore that fact.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I don't know how you saw that. You have a argument for Hill because if I'm not mistaken he was a backup in college too. But there was no indication Connor would be a backup here and hell he really hasn't been. He's been injured but for the most part he he has a spot on the offensive line in some form or fashion.

Cowboys got cute with Hill. No doubt about it. No way around it.
C.Williams played tackle in college but when he was drafted there were no tackle positions open in Dallas. Which meant they were going to try and force him to play inside. To me, he wasn't strong enough or tough enough to play inside. So I saw him as a guy that would wash out inside and be a backup before his first contract ended. So at some point in this year, I expect Conner McGovern to take that starting LG position from Williams. Making Williams a second round backup, just like Hill.

Prossman

Reaction score
He just finished his rookie year. He wasnt a first rd pick he was a second.. Im on the Parcells plan , by year 3 you will know what you have,

Section446

Reaction score
I don't think so, the new staff hasn't even had a chance to properly evaluate him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
C.Williams played tackle in college but when he was drafted there were no tackle positions open in Dallas. Which meant they were going to try and force him to play inside. To me, he wasn't strong enough or tough enough to play inside. So I saw him as a guy that would wash out inside and be a backup before his first contract ended. So at some point in this year, I expect Conner McGovern to take that starting LG position from Williams. Making Williams a second round backup, just like Hill.
Well at that point he's a backup because of depth issues. I can live with that Hill is a backup because as of right now he's not good enough to start or even suit up on Sunday's. Different cases.

As of now I see Williams as our guard and Mcgovern possibly switching to center. I guess it depends on how they feel about Looney and where they want him to start or backup.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Well at that point he's a backup because of depth issues. I can live with that Hill is a backup because as of right now he's not good enough to start or even suit up on Sunday's. Different cases.

As of now I see Williams as our guard and Mcgovern possibly switching to center. I guess it depends on how they feel about Looney and where they want him to start or backup.
Im not sold on Looney and the thought of having both Conners playing next to one another scares me. So hopefully they address the interior of our Oline in free agency or the draft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Im not sold on Looney and the thought of having both Conners playing next to one another scares me. So hopefully they address the interior of our Oline in free agency or the draft.
It would depend on Williams progression. Its year 3 for him. Time to show and prove. McGovern is young. Chances are......he's going to backup this year and Williams starts at guard and Looney starts at center if I had to put money on it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not optimistic at all. Dallas was the second time he has had issues with coaching.

He has a ton of potential to be a bigger Geno Atkins, but he needs to do alot of soul searching and come in to TC locked in.

I do think there is a possibility he could get cut in TC

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Hill must surely realize by now that this staff is one that is likely to give him an opportunity to see him with a fresh perspective. He should be brimming with newfound hope to make a positive impression with that being the case. If that's not so, he'd be running a very dangerous risk of getting cut.

I'm certain the Dallas FO and their staff are hoping he'll exert greater effort in making the roster in 2020. If not, he'll only have himself to blame. A good opportunity is there for him to make the most of it. He must be receptive to the coaching. If not, he's not what this team or any other one requires.

Last edited:

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
He was social distancing himself from the game day roster last year.....

Maybe he is up to 350 pounds by now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Do DT Signings Indicate Cowboys are Done With Trysten Hill?
https://insidethestar.com/do-dt-signings-indicate-cowboys-are-done-with-trysten-hill/

...A year ago that prediction was based on the idea that Trysten Hill, after a year of grooming, would be able to step into a larger role. That’s what you typically expect from second and even third-round picks in most cases.

But it was a rough rookie season for Hill, not getting much playing time early and also being disciplined by then-coach Jason Garrett for tardiness and sleeping at team meetings. However, his performance did seem to be on an upswing by the end of the year.

Clearly it wasn’t enough for the Cowboys to trust him in 2020, though. They added Gerald McCoy on a three-year deal to play the same spot on the line, the “3-tech” DT role, where Hill is most suited. The fact that it’s a three-year contract is especially damning. It’d be one thing if it was just a single-year deal; a chance for Trysten to keep being groomed and learning from one of the best in the business. But McCoy’s three years will run through the end of Hill’s rookie contract with Dallas...

I don't see how he fits into their plans. Not only is he the wrong fit for the new scheme, but he seemed like a bust last year. Maybe if he can gain some weight and start producing. But its obvious they aren't counting on him for anything more than rotation duty.

jrumann59

Reaction score
With all the "young" guys that were on the DL I do not think many were willing to help a rookie along that could very well knock them off the roster. Now with Poe and McCoy there is a lot more veteran presence for the DT in the DL room. If McCoy takes this kid under his wing it may help.

kskboys

Reaction score
Stop, just stop.

Hill was overdrafted due to his one awesome trait: An incredibly quick first step. I mean, due is shot out of a cannon.

So, the question now is, can the new staff utilize this trait, and at the same time make him more of a well rounded player, good enough to play significant snaps? Hard to say.

One of the huge problems w/ the old staff was that they were terrible at developing players. I mean, they were awful. So, it will be mighty interesting to see what the new staff can do w/ him. For the first time in a looooooooooooooong time, I trust in this staff to handle Hill correctly, whether that means development or cutting.

conner01

Reaction score
What do you mean by “done”?

they’re not going to cut him.
I don’t think they are done but he has gave no reason to believe he’s a viable option
So if he gets his heart right great
If he doesn’t you are covered