Do the Colts have a chance to be the first undefeated team since Miami?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Since it's the bye week and not much Cowboys talk, thought I'd bring up some NFL record breaking talk....

First of all, let me say something about Peyton Manning. I don't think there's a single player I root for out of the Cowboys organization more than this guy. He's one of us! I was watching HBO's NFL show last night and Costas was yapping it up with Manning about NFL history, Aikman, fantasy football, NFL Films moments with Hank Stram, and everything else. This guy lives, sleeps, and breathes football. If we were lucky enough to have amazing athletic talent, Manning is what most of us would probably be. :D Not saying you have to follow the game, but Manning is the exception, not the norm. A lot of players don't know jack about the history of the game and some of its best players.

The Colts are 7-0, they finally have a defense. They're running more than they're passing. I think they're Super Bowl bound this year. They play New England this week and we all know the story on the Pats and Indy. However, New England is really hurting this year and looks vulnerable. It reminds me of the Texas & Oklahoma situation this year, and how Texas looks to be having a magical year too. If Indy beats the Pats, do you think they seriously threaten Miami's record? They still have some good teams on the remaining schedule: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Seattle and San Diego. But it's a league of parity. If you have one of the best offenses in the league, and a defense that is finally one of the best as well, it's easy to run the table in this league.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a chance...but I think that chance is slim.

There are reasons no other team has been able to get an undefeated season since those dolphins.

Oh and you are right about not many of the younger players know much about the NFL or it's players of the past...kind of annoying.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I like Manning although the stunt Manning Inc. pulled in the 2004 draft kinda soured me on the name...

The Colts do have an opportunity to run the table, but I think they will trip up along the way at some point...

Teams in todays NFL are too watered down in this parity-riddled league...

superonyx

Reaction score
I used to be a big fan of Peyton Manning. I just somehow cant seperate what his brother did to San Diego from him. The media always let us think (true or not) that Archie and Peyton were pulling Eli's strings. I will always dislike Eli for that and i'm afraid i stopped respecting Peyton as a person after that. Imagine if it were the Cowboys and a franchise QB told us not to draft him because he would rather sit out a year than play for us.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I think they have a decent chance on one condition: if the Offense finally starts to work.

What is absolutely amazing about the Colts is that they are undefeated with only an average offense. Their defense has been exceptional. Their offense, while good compared to most teams, is playing poorly by Colts standards. If the Offense can get back to playing at even an 90% of where they were last year, then I think they have a very decent chance at going undefeated. If the offense could get back to 100% where they were last year, I'd bet heavy money on them winning out.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
By the way, the same HBO interview mentioned that the Giants and Colts play next year. That should be a fun game to watch. The NFL would be smart to make it a MNF game. Two great teams, two QB brothers with Pro Bowl potential.

Hoov

Reaction score
Pittsburgh, Seattle, San Diego.....any one of those 3 could beat the colts. Im thinking SD will beat them.

Derinyar

Reaction score
The smart money says they end up somewhere around 13-14 wins. Just like no team is going to go without a win its unlikely for any team be flawless.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
Derinyar said:
The smart money says they end up somewhere around 13-14 wins. Just like no team is going to go without a win its unlikely for any team be flawless.
I say 12-4. They'll clinch Home field by week 15, and put in their scrubs to preserve their starters.

Zman5

Reaction score
No. They have a tough schedule ahead. I could even see them losing to the Bengals at Cincy.

jsond

Reaction score
Anything is possible but I really dont see any way they do it. While they are 7-0 and they do have an improved defense they are also 7-0 against teams who are a combined 17-33. Their opposition includes offenses ranked 26th, 29th, 30th and 32nd (San Fran, Cleveland, Houston and Baltimore) and defenses ranked 27th, 30th, 31st and 32nd (Tennessee, Houston, St. Louis and San Fran). Again, I know you can only beat up on the opponents you play (and they have won most of them easily other than Jacksonville) but I don't see them going 6-0 vs NE/PIT/SEA/JAX/CIN/SD. I really think they probably lose vs PIT, and yes New England. Sure New England aint as good and the colts are better but I don't care if the Colts are 12-0 I just don't see any reason they should be favored on the road in Foxboro, regardless of their record. By 1am on late monday night I will probably be proven wrong but I see a Brady 4th qtr comeback to win a close one. Either way that is probably the biggest non-cowboy or non-nfc east game I am looking forward to the most this year to this point. I will guess Colts finish the season 13-3.

silver

Reaction score
no they don't. the season is too long. once they string a long streak teams will be looking for them. it will be other teams super bowl.

vicjagger

Reaction score
Well, one could argue they have the best chance of anyone this year, but it is still a slim one.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I guess they have a chance because right now they are undefeated, but they have 4 or 5 tough games coming up and have pretty much gotten fat on a very easy schedule...they were extremely fortunate to beat Jacksonville at home (bad non call saved them) and still have to play New England, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati ,Jacksonville again, Seattle and San Diego

they'll be 12-4 at best I'd think...they are not as good as their record

David