Do the Cowboys Need a Backup QB?

cleverusername

Reaction score
acheman said:
Regarding Henosn: I've got a feeling he won't.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy, and hope he succeeds. I just don't know how much time we're willing to give him. I think when you get sent to europe, the next step is the door.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I do think we need a backup quarterback. Frankly, we're lacking depth at a number of key positions -- nose tackle, o-line, and even wide receiver IMO.

Parcells has been very complimentary of Romo, though, so who knows...in his mind, we may have a good backup quarterback.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
elcocinero said:
You find that funny? Personally i thought he was a better looking quarterback prospect than Vince, and I am a Texas fan.

Personally, I do find this funny. I think the best thing that can happen to McNeal is that he gets with a good WR coach in the NFL. JMO of course.

To answer the original question, No on McMahon but yes I do think we need a number two QB. I think that either Henson or Romo have to go this year, just depending on which one can win out and I think we need to find and exeperienced QB to bring in. Bledsoe is durable but if anybody is counting, we've gone a good 4 full seasons with no injuries to the QB. That's a pretty good stretch IMO. Would hate to see us play well enough to be in it and then suffer a key injury at QB next year. Can Romo do it? Who can say, he's never seen the field so the question is pretty much irrelivant IMO. Parcells or who ever may believe he can but the truth is that nobody knows for sure. Not Parcells or the OC or the QB coach, nobody. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a reasonable contract worked out with Harrington. I wouldn't break the bank on the guy but if something could be worked out, I would like that move.

Reaction score
elcocinero said:
How about Reggie McNeal? 4.38 40, Good Wonderlic score, plus i thought he was underrated with a terrible Texas A&M team. Maybe a good 3rd or 4th rounder?

I'll say it again..... Reggie McNeal will be an UDF come about 5:00 4/30.

Justis

Reaction score
Bledsoe has only once had a serious injury, since then he's been as dependable as any player in the league. It would be moot trying to find an adequate replacement because he's technically the most important part of this offense. Losing him would be much like when the Rams lost Bulger.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
we absolutely need a vet backup QB, but not McMahon, im still pulling for Collins.

kartr

Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
We may target Whitehurst from Clemson in the draft, but I don't see any Vet QB's I think we would be interested in. BTW, Garcia is a nice backup for the Eagles.

Whitehurst = career backup like David Green. Played in a shotgun for the first 3 years of his career and underachieved. Vince won a National Championship playing in the shot gun. Jacobs played in the shot gun and had a 71-11 td to int ratio. That's pretty much a no-brainer as to the direction we should be going in.

kartr

Reaction score
acheman said:
To each their own. I find it funny/frustrating that anyone even wants another QB on this roster when two of the three we already have have never been given a REAL chance to show anything let alone enough time to develop.

We don't have a playoff qb on our roster and we only have one real qb period. It's either get a qb this year or no hope for the future.

fortdick

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Haven't heard too much about it, But if (and I truly hope it doesn't) Bledsoe goes down, who will step in at the helm?

Why? Are the Iggles shopping McChunky all ready?

kartr

Reaction score
acheman said:
Regarding Henosn: I've got a feeling he won't.

The fact that he's even in NFL Europe after 2 years on the team should tell you that he ain't gonna make it. Romo doesn't need NFL Europe and he's undersized and played at a tiny school. The last NFL Europe qb we had bombed out here and in Chicago. They kept Kyle Orton over Hutch. Nuff said.:lmao2:

kartr

Reaction score
Dale said:
I do think we need a backup quarterback. Frankly, we're lacking depth at a number of key positions -- nose tackle, o-line, and even wide receiver IMO.

Parcells has been very complimentary of Romo, though, so who knows...in his mind, we may have a good backup quarterback.

We also need a pass rushing DT to replace Glover too.

kartr

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Personally, I do find this funny. I think the best thing that can happen to McNeal is that he gets with a good WR coach in the NFL. JMO of course.

To answer the original question, No on McMahon but yes I do think we need a number two QB. I think that either Henson or Romo have to go this year, just depending on which one can win out and I think we need to find and exeperienced QB to bring in. Bledsoe is durable but if anybody is counting, we've gone a good 4 full seasons with no injuries to the QB. That's a pretty good stretch IMO. Would hate to see us play well enough to be in it and then suffer a key injury at QB next year. Can Romo do it? Who can say, he's never seen the field so the question is pretty much irrelivant IMO. Parcells or who ever may believe he can but the truth is that nobody knows for sure. Not Parcells or the OC or the QB coach, nobody. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a reasonable contract worked out with Harrington. I wouldn't break the bank on the guy but if something could be worked out, I would like that move.

Harrington, good grief, we'd be better off drafting McNeal. Harrington has no leadership skills, no arm strength, no mobility, little accuracy. At least McNeal has 3 of the 4 characteristics while Harrington is 0 for 4.

kartr

Reaction score
Justis said:
Bledsoe has only once had a serious injury, since then he's been as dependable as any player in the league. It would be moot trying to find an adequate replacement because he's technically the most important part of this offense. Losing him would be much like when the Rams lost Bulger.

And like Bulger, he turns the ball over too much, yet is much more experienced. That's a terrible combination.

acheman

Reaction score
"We also need a pass rushing DT to replace Glover too."

The fact that you are an idiot and did not get the memo that we are now a 3-4 Defense, with only a NT and two DE's, none of which are considered passrushing positions in the 3-4 tells me all I need to know about you.

kartr

Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
we absolutely need a vet backup QB, but not McMahon, im still pulling for Collins.

Collins, he's stiff. He's like 6-17 in his last few games. Vinny won only 40% of his games, so Collins is like 30% and he's had Moss and Jerry Porter to throw to.

dwmyers

Reaction score
acheman said:
"We also need a pass rushing DT to replace Glover too."

The fact that you are an idiot and did not get the memo that we are now a 3-4 Defense, with only a NT and two DE's, none of which are considered passrushing positions in the 3-4 tells me all I need to know about you.

Uhm, Curly Culp. Let's spell the name, C-U-R-L-Y C-U-L-P. You're the damned wizard, can you tell me how many sacks he had as the nose tackle for the Houston Oilers? Actually, you can ask him yourself, if this anecdote is at all true:

Original url: http://buzzmodo.typepad.com/buzznovation/2005/03/in_the_cab_with.html

In the cab with Curly...

When I finished my meetings in Austin (stealth project…more to come!) My great and wonderful friend Jim called a cab for me. He told me a bit last night about the driver, i.e. Curly Culp. (Links to follow!) Curly was an all-pro lineman for the Kansas City Chiefs in the early 70’s, had been an All-American at Arizona State, and had won the NCAA heavyweight wrestling championship. Curly is about 6’1”, 300 pounds, and rock solid.
Curly was right on time, his cab sparkled it was so clean. When we shook hands, Curly’s massive hand reached out to me with just the right strength, and the smile and cordial greeting from Curly was just right.
On the way to the airport in Austin, Curly and I talked football. Curly knew or had played against the greats and the near greats. Talking with Curly was a pleasure. When I think of all the athletes that I have met, those with massive egos and those who are real people, Curly is the real deal!
Should you be heading to Austin, you can reach Curly at 512.789.7846 or cculp1@austin.rr.com . You won’t be disappointed!