Do the players want to be here?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know that there's a lot to make of the lack of activity from the front office this offseason. I know it's been a brutal offseason, and it feels like a toxic cloud has fallen over the Cowboys since the Packers game. We can't even seem to keep our own guys happy anymore. Whatever happened to we like our own guys? Well, what if, and this may be even more damning against the FO, what if our key players DON'T want to be here?

I understand that trying to extend Dak, CeeDee, and Micah would probably be a challenge (even though, let's be honest, Roseman and the Chiefs FO would probably find a way). However, you would think they could at least get CeeDee (the Jefferson deal was pretty much perfect for Lamb's deal) and Micah done. Yet, all this offseason (besides drama and toxicity) has produced is Zeke returning, a long snapper, a decent draft on paper, and Erick Kendricks. What gives? Do the players want to be here?

Well, it takes two sides to make a deal. The players have probably noticed the lack of investment from the FO. Yes, they want to take care of their bank accounts, but they probably would also like to win a SB. If they do not think the FO is willing to provide them with the tools that they need to win, then why would they want to stay if they have aspirations? Do you think Parsons would want to stay here, when he can probably go to a team like Kansas City and become an instant contender? Think Lamb wouldn't jump at the chance to join a team that needs his skillset and will actually provide him an opportunity to win a SB?

I get frustrated at the FO because of the seeming lack of effort to fix the clear and obvious weaknesses of the team. I was about 3 the last time the Cowboys won a SB. The players are the ones that actually put their bodies on the line. They put dedication into their craft to want to win the SB and to get into the HOF. If they can't get that here, why stay? While listening in to Jerry's conference, he stated that sometimes things get expensive in reference to Dak. What if Dak told him he doesn't want to be here anymore?

It'd be one thing if the FO doesn't want to get a deal in place. It'd be one thing if they had a plan of succession for the players and coaches in place. It'd be a damning indictment against this FO if the players, aware of the FO's lack of effort, were saying they don't want to be here anymore. I heard Stephen saying how they have received an increase in season ticket requests in response to a question that was more about fans being upset. Think the players don't see through this? Think that didn't speak to the players and say, "Wow, all they care about is filling seats. They don't care how we perform"? Think they want to stay in a situation where they don't feel like they can make the most of their career and potential?

I think, reading the tea leaves (to use a Steveism), we will see a lot of our key players leave. Perhaps the only way, besides the seats being filled, that the FO will realise that things have gone terribly wrong with their methods is for our star players to leave in droves. I think this will happen the more players see that this team is a dead end to their potential.

AstroPilota

Reaction score
Actually the Chiefs couldn't find a way, that's why they let Tyreek Hill go. They had 3 big salary hits to deal with as well (Mahomes, Chris Jones and Hill). Lucky for them, Travis Kelce doesn't squeeze them harder than he does, IMO he's right there with Mahomes as far as importance to the team.

But to answer the topic's question - I doubt most of the veterans want to be at camp, Cabo sounds a lot better. This team has great talent all-around, but few winners. There's a difference.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Actually the Chiefs couldn't find a way, that's why they let Tyreek Hill go. They had 3 big salary hits to deal with as well (Mahomes, Chris Jones and Hill). Lucky for them, Travis Kelce doesn't squeeze them harder than he does, IMO he's right there with Mahomes as far as importance to the team.

But to answer the topic's question - I doubt most of the veterans want to be at camp, Cabo sounds a lot better. This team has great talent all-around, but few winners. There's a difference.

I am sure they don't want to be at camp, but I mean, I wonder if they want to be on this franchise knowing that they won't win a SB here? I know it keeps the bills paid, but they probably have higher ambitions than that

AstroPilota

Reaction score
Oh, I think they def want to be a Cowboy, at least on their first contract. The Cowboys are (or were) the media darlings and even "average" Cowboys players get talked up more than they should. Part of the whole entitlement thing, being a Cowboy has perks.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I know that there's a lot to make of the lack of activity from the front office this offseason. I know it's been a brutal offseason, and it feels like a toxic cloud has fallen over the Cowboys since the Packers game. We can't even seem to keep our own guys happy anymore. Whatever happened to we like our own guys? Well, what if, and this may be even more damning against the FO, what if our key players DON'T want to be here?

I understand that trying to extend Dak, CeeDee, and Micah would probably be a challenge (even though, let's be honest, Roseman and the Chiefs FO would probably find a way). However, you would think they could at least get CeeDee (the Jefferson deal was pretty much perfect for Lamb's deal) and Micah done. Yet, all this offseason (besides drama and toxicity) has produced is Zeke returning, a long snapper, a decent draft on paper, and Erick Kendricks. What gives? Do the players want to be here?

Well, it takes two sides to make a deal. The players have probably noticed the lack of investment from the FO. Yes, they want to take care of their bank accounts, but they probably would also like to win a SB. If they do not think the FO is willing to provide them with the tools that they need to win, then why would they want to stay if they have aspirations? Do you think Parsons would want to stay here, when he can probably go to a team like Kansas City and become an instant contender? Think Lamb wouldn't jump at the chance to join a team that needs his skillset and will actually provide him an opportunity to win a SB?

I get frustrated at the FO because of the seeming lack of effort to fix the clear and obvious weaknesses of the team. I was about 3 the last time the Cowboys won a SB. The players are the ones that actually put their bodies on the line. They put dedication into their craft to want to win the SB and to get into the HOF. If they can't get that here, why stay? While listening in to Jerry's conference, he stated that sometimes things get expensive in reference to Dak. What if Dak told him he doesn't want to be here anymore?

It'd be one thing if the FO doesn't want to get a deal in place. It'd be one thing if they had a plan of succession for the players and coaches in place. It'd be a damning indictment against this FO if the players, aware of the FO's lack of effort, were saying they don't want to be here anymore. I heard Stephen saying how they have received an increase in season ticket requests in response to a question that was more about fans being upset. Think the players don't see through this? Think that didn't speak to the players and say, "Wow, all they care about is filling seats. They don't care how we perform"? Think they want to stay in a situation where they don't feel like they can make the most of their career and potential?

I think, reading the tea leaves (to use a Steveism), we will see a lot of our key players leave. Perhaps the only way, besides the seats being filled, that the FO will realise that things have gone terribly wrong with their methods is for our star players to leave in droves. I think this will happen the more players see that this team is a dead end to their potential.
They'll all leave and we will still hear the same mumbo jumbo of us being closer to a Superbowl

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh, I think they def want to be a Cowboy, at least on their first contract. The Cowboys are (or were) the media darlings and even "average" Cowboys players get talked up more than they should. Part of the whole entitlement thing, being a Cowboy has perks.

Sure, but, beyond that first contract, they probably want a Super Bowl.

Chasing6

Reaction score

I am a fan and I don't want to be here.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Some don't want to be here, just like some of our fans....but at least the players are getting paid. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Our franchise under Jethro &Son running football operations has been a Dead-End for almost 3 decades.

The Cowboys this era have basically been a Dead-End for HC’s as well. Look at our only HOF player so far this era had to leave to get a SB ring.

Players stay here for its reputation of a player friendly atmosphere as our owners reputation of pampering and over paying his Stars. The rest all move on.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, but, when I ask the OP question, I mean, do they want to play for the Cowboys? In other words, is the be reason none of them have an extension because they don't want to be here?
I believe they want to play for the Cowboys. As a diehard fan, I believe that. Idk what kind of fan you are but you seem to suggest otherwise.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I believe they want to play for the Cowboys. As a diehard fan, I believe that. Idk what kind of fan you are but you seem to suggest otherwise.
Well they have played for the Cowboys. Now they realize it is a poorly ran Circus.