Do we even want Roy Williams(S) back?

Batman

Reaction score
Ever since Roy Williams has been gone our pass defense has been a lot better. He was always good for getting beat deep at least 1 or 2 times a game. I would say cut him after the season. Our defense has been better without him and does not have to hold back due to the fact he probably could not even cover a 350 pound lineman in a passing down.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Batman;2494894 said:
Ever since Roy Williams has been gone our pass defense has been a lot better. He was always good for getting beat deep at least 1 or 2 times a game. I would say cut him after the season. Our defense has been better without him and does not have to hold back due to the fact he probably could not even cover a 350 pound lineman in a passing down.

I'm torn, I dont know what I'd do with him. I know I would try to get some trade value from him.

I think he would be a decent fit as an OLB in a 4-3. Kind of like Thomas Davis converted from S to LB, or on the opposite side of the spectrum Woody, going from LB to S

Aikbach

Reaction score
Try him out, if he is mediocre then 2009 needs to be his final curtain in Dallas.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Aikbach;2494905 said:
Try him out, if he is mediocre then 2009 needs to be his final curtain in Dallas.

I'm in this boat. I think we should bring him back and see how he fits in. If teams immediately start targetting him again and he starts to struggle, well, you can get rid of him at that point or just bench him.

SC Cowboyfan

Reaction score
Aikbach;2494905 said:

If we get rid of him this offseason, we might be able to get something in return.
If you play him next year and bench him, noone's gonna give up any picks for him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was lost something in coverage when he went down now that we're playing Keith Davis, but whatever.

Clearly, he hasn't been essential to the team playing well, when you're also able to get as much pressure as we've been getting. Depending upon the cap impact, and what players are available, I'd say his job is probably one we're targeting for improvement, or at least replacement, in the offseason.

Batman

Reaction score
I'm more in the trade him after this season and whoever gives us the most just take it. We will not have the big hits from the SS position without him, but we are having solid and smart play at SS and not getting killed deep because of Roy. Our defense now does not have to compensate for Roy, it is much more aggressive. I hate to say it, but if Roy is starting for this team again, say good bye to how aggressive our defense is. All a QBs has to do is find where Roy is and throw it to whoever is there and chances are very high it will work. No coincidense this defense has been the most aggressive and attacking since his being gone. There is really not room for him on this team any more.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
SC Cowboyfan;2494919 said:
If we get rid of him this offseason, we might be able to get something in return.
If you play him next year and bench him, noone's gonna give up any picks for him.

psssst.....here's a secret, don't tell anybody.

No one's gonna give up any picks for him NOW.

gmb85

Reaction score
I say keep him. Just don't use him much in coverage but as a runstopper.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn't have a pass rush for the past decade. I'd like to see Roy out there with the front seven production we have now.

Batman

Reaction score
I just want to say, this is not a hate Roy Williams thread. It is just now that Davis has played at SS, while he will not give the bone jarring hits, he is not as big or strong as Roy, Davis just has a better feel for the game and is superior to Roy in pass coverage. I think because of the much better pass coverage skills of Davis, we can do more in mixing up the D and be more aggressive on D. While Roy is an intimidator, I would rather have someone who quietly gets the job done like Davis. He seems to be a much better fit for SS with our defense than Roy.

Reaction score
Batman;2494926 said:
I'm more in the trade him after this season and whoever gives us the most just take it. We will not have the big hits from the SS position without him, but we are having solid and smart play at SS and not getting killed deep because of Roy. Our defense now does not have to compensate for Roy, it is much more aggressive. I hate to say it, but if Roy is starting for this team again, say good bye to how aggressive our defense is. All a QBs has to do is find where Roy is and throw it to whoever is there and chances are very high it will work. No coincidense this defense has been the most aggressive and attacking since his being gone. There is really not room for him on this team any more.

...And the great Keith Davis is allowing us to be that agressive? I think we give him one more shot next season assuming we get the same pressure we're getting he shouldn't hurt the team at all. Who is back at SS has almost no effect on the pressure we're getting. Give him some play with Wade calling the plays and if he's a liability get rid of him, but I dont think sitting here saying Keith Davis is better than him is right.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Batman;2494960 said:
I just want to say, this is not a hate Roy Williams thread. It is just now that Davis has played at SS, while he will not give the bone jarring hits, he is not as big or strong as Roy, Davis just has a better feel for the game and is superior to Roy in pass coverage. I think because of the much better pass coverage skills of Davis, we can do more in mixing up the D and be more aggressive on D. While Roy is an intimidator, I would rather have someone who quietly gets the job done like Davis. He seems to be a much better fit for SS with our defense than Roy.

Davis is worse in pass coverage than Roy Williams, and not as good in run support. But that doesn't mean that we can't find a better, cheaper SS somewhere in the draft next year. I think it'll come down to who is available.

Batman

Reaction score
ThePlaymaker14;2494964 said:
...And the great Keith Davis is allowing us to be that agressive? I think we give him one more shot next season assuming we get the same pressure we're getting he shouldn't hurt the team at all. Who is back at SS has almost no effect on the pressure we're getting. Give him some play with Wade calling the plays and if he's a liability get rid of him, but I dont think sitting here saying Keith Davis is better than him is right.

Like it or not, I doubt Roy Williams could cover most of the people in this forum if it came down to it. The last several years QBs would go right after Roy because they knew even if they did not get the pass completed, there was a real good chance he would get called for PI. He is terrible in pass coverage and completely lost in pass coverage.

Davis is not a big name SS, but he is much better in pass coverage. You hardly ever hear his name mentioned in games, but that is a good thing. He is quietly doing a good job at SS this year. He will never be a pro-bowler, but he just is a part of giving us a strong defense. The defense is kicking butt right now, and Davis is part of it. Why mess with what is working??

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I want him back under one condition: He returns not as a starter, but as a situational guy that we design a specifically unique position for to utilize whatever abilities he has.

Now, my problem with the scenario is he is no longer the head-hunting threat he once was. He doesn't blow people up. And he's only OK in run defense. I'm not sure the current Roy is worth creating a new position for.

But I'd hope the coaches at least consider the idea and see if there's anything they can come up with. If not, then so long, unfortunately. He's just not a very good player any longer.

elcocinero

Reaction score
Just as an FYI, Roy Williams has 2 years left on his current deal. If we cut him his remaining signing bonus of $4.44 million would count against the cap, but his 2009 base year salary is $4.4 million so it would basically be a wash if we cut him.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
In this new defensive scheme, it isn't like Killa has been exposed as a poor player. I can only believe that Roy is still better than him, so who knows. It seems to have taken a full year and a half for Wade's defense to be installed, maybe there is still a way to rejuvinate Roy.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
no he's soft and slow. Killa is playing better now than Roy was this season.