Do we even want Roy Williams(S) back?

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
I believe in a 4-3 Defense, yes. But Roy Williams isn't that good in 3-4 Defense at all. I'll try to get a first round draft pick for him if I could.....

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;2495006 said:
I believe in a 4-3 Defense, yes. But Roy Williams isn't that good in 3-4 Defense at all. I'll try to get a first round draft pick for him if I could.....
You couldn't.

And the front scheme shouldn't affect how a safety plays.

Ken

Reaction score
Roy Williams is terrible.

There is no sugar coating it, I was formerly one of his biggest fans.

We are a better team defensively without him, I said it before he was injured, and I say it now.

It is not only Davis, but Henry at Safety and just about anyone else. Davis has a limited role at Safety.

Roy Williams has a big X on his chest and it became blatantly obvious in the last couple of years.

It isn't only him either, it was Ellis as well. He doesn't play nearly as much now either. Those two can't be on the field at the same time and hope to have any semblance of a pass d.

Period.

You are not getting ANYTHING for Roy. I would cut him in the offseason and move forward.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Ken;2495045 said:
Roy Williams is terrible.

There is no sugar coating it, I was formerly one of his biggest fans.

We are a better team defensively without him, I said it before he was injured, and I say it now.

It is not only Davis, but Henry at Safety and just about anyone else. Davis has a limited role at Safety.

Roy Williams has a big X on his chest and it became blatantly obvious in the last couple of years.

It isn't only him either, it was Ellis as well. He doesn't play nearly as much now either. Those two can't be on the field at the same time and hope to have any semblance of a pass d.

Period.

You are not getting ANYTHING for Roy. I would cut him in the offseason and move forward.

Who would have thought the Lions would get a 3rd and a 5th for Shaun Rogers? The guy could not stay on the field due to conditioning, and was playing very poorly.

Or Kris Jenkins who was also dealt for 3rd and 5th round picks. Shaun Rogers was a player with motivation issues, and was underachieving. Jenkins showed flashes in the past, yet had faded out in Carolina.

I'm not saying we could get a 3rd and 5th for Roy, but I think we could still get some value for him if we looked to move him.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Has the scheme changed to more aggressive or are the players playing that way?

Roy was not playing that well IMHO. He has regressed the last 3 seasons. I highly doubt he'd take a pay cut, play special teams, and be willing to be a role player as a run stopper and backup safety.

If we can trade him to a 4-3 defense where he might be more suited I think that is way to go. His on field demeanour and finger pointing and lack of leadership qualities are also a concern. As someone mentioned, other teams seek him out, and I don't see that as obvious right now even with our 4th and 5th options at safety. But again, we are playing much more press and man to man and seem to have a far more aggressive scheme overall. And getting pressure on QB ain't hurting either!

LarryCanadian

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He is scheduled to make over $4 mill next year.

$4 mill for a SS that cant cover my grandmother and hasnt had a highlight hit in like 2 seasons???

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAABAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nav22

Reaction score
Amazing... kid's still young and it wasn't all that long ago that he was talked about as the next Ronnie Lott.

What a tragic, drastic fall-from-grace. So long, Roy.

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
With his contract he is completely untradeable. Not even for a 7th rounder. Nobody one would want him at $4 mil per year.

But for the Cowboys he is essentially a free player, since the $4mil salary would zero out the $4mil bonus acceleration.

Cap space is tight. So the Cowboys will certainly be tempted to try to make him fit the roster.

But he's a safety without range and coverage instincts.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2495119 said:
He is scheduled to make over $4 mill next year.

$4 mill for a SS that cant cover my grandmother and hasnt had a highlight hit in like 2 seasons???

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAABAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just goes to show that majority of the fans dont like him due to him not "delivering the goods" any more.

Roy in this scheme will be scary.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2495176 said:
the pass-rush has gotten tremendously better

I say keep him

Summer my boy how are ya?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
i would LOVE to see Roy in this new scheme.. we're finally attacking.. Keith Davis, Patrick Watkins, Courtney Brown, and even Ken Hamlin have looked worse than Roy this year.. i think Roy's still our best safety.. and early on this year, he seemed to have his pop and aggressiveness back.. i think his re-dedication was the real deal.. bring him back and let's see him finally get to attack the line of scrimmage..

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
I would rather let him go, as we all know his coverage is suspect, he wasnt hitting or tackling well and now hes a year older. Let him find a team that needs him...we do not any more.

alancdc

Reaction score
Pass defense looks better because out D LINE is playing like their hair is on fire. PERIOD.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Buh-bye.

The guy is overrated and very complacent....it's time for him to go elsewhere. The Boys need to draft a speedy FS and move on.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;2495238 said:
i would LOVE to see Roy in this new scheme.. we're finally attacking.. Keith Davis, Patrick Watkins, Courtney Brown, and even Ken Hamlin have looked worse than Roy this year.. i think Roy's still our best safety.. and early on this year, he seemed to have his pop and aggressiveness back.. i think his re-dedication was the real deal.. bring him back and let's see him finally get to attack the line of scrimmage..
Exactly. It amazes me how people still underestimate this guy. The way our front 7 is playin with the addition of Roy this defense will be scary. I give Keith Davis credit for playing good but lets not get carried away with this crap about him being better than Roy. When was the last time you saw Keith Davis one on one in coverage with a TE? Wade is doing a better job of letting the SS play downhill period. If he had been able to do this with Roy he would be back in the Probowl.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't know if cutting Roy would help or Hurt our Salary cap.

I do know Tra Battle is a scrappy player and this is a great year to draft Safeties.

Very deep safety class.

kmd24

Reaction score
Batman;2494978 said:
Davis is not a big name SS, but he is much better in pass coverage.

No, he's not. He's just held to a different standard than Roy. If Roy had given up the big pass to Vernon Davis in the 49ers game, we'd still be talking about it.

We'd be talking about the big gainer to Boss when he split wide, Davis played 8 yards off the ball, and STILL whiffed on the tackle, letting Boss run for 20+ yards.

Giants were open all night long, but Eli didn't have time to get them the ball. If he had, we'd be talking about Davis and Hamlin, guaranteed.

I'm not saying RW is good in coverage, but Davis is hardly "much better," if he's even better at all.