Do we need to draft a corner?

kskboys

Reaction score
Find one player with a fast 40 that’s slow on the field. I do not mean good or not good, fast.
Not slow, just that they might get outrun if they have to run long distances. That's why CB's who lack long speed are often played in the slot where quickness and agility are more important.

Players w/ good 40 times who are said to lack long speed:

Jalen Tabor, FL. 4.45
Kevin White, TCU. 4.43

Those are just a couple I remember off the top of my head, w/ the 40 times being what my old bum remembers.

There are also some 4.5 + guys who are plenty fast.

KingRah

Reaction score
Not slow, just that they might get outrun if they have to run long distances. That's why CB's who lack long speed are often played in the slot where quickness and agility are more important.

Jalen Tabor, FL. 4.45
Kevin White, TCU. 4.43

Those are just a couple I remember off the top of my head, w/ the 40 times being what my old bum remembers.

No there aren’t. 4.5 is average. If they get deep, it’s route running

KingRah

Reaction score

Jalen Tabor, FL. 4.45
Kevin White, TCU. 4.43

At the combo e , they said Julio jones’s Game speed didn’t show 4.39. Suddenly after running 3
4.39, he’s seen as very fast in the league. You saw it in his first season.

KingRah

Reaction score
Our best best is to try an get an ascending safety before he peaks. We need to give him a solid contract because we’ll need to sign d law, jaylon and Vander esh

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Awuzie has seemingly struggled at times but on that specific play he couldn't have played it much better.

That ball literally dropped in inches from his helmet (he was playing Jones that tight) and Julio just made a great grab.

I think fans forget the other guys get paid too.
Anyone who knows the right way to play CB knows he did not play that as good as possible. His fatal flaw is he is not turning his head back to find the ball so he can knock it down or pick it off.

Just running side by side with a WR doesn't equal good coverage. Awuzie is not good and if he can't learn how to look for the ball, he never will be good.

KingRah

Reaction score
Anyone who knows the right way to play CB knows he did not play that as good as possible. His fatal flaw is he is not turning his head back to find the ball so he can knock it down or pick it off.

Just running side by side with a WR doesn't equal good coverage. Awuzie is not good and if he can't learn how to look for the ball, he never will be good.
Exactly. It has nothing to do with speed. It’s number one awareness. Most corners don’t turn around fast enough. Even when I played as a kid, I had the since to turn and look when I know I’m side by side with the receiver.

KingRah

Reaction score

One way to help in the mean time is, don’t let tvecreciver off the line. That’ll eliminate a few catches every game.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Exactly. It has nothing to do with speed. It’s number one awareness. Most corners don’t turn around fast enough. Even when I played as a kid, I had the since to turn and look when I know I’m side by side with the receiver.
It seems odd that so many CB's come through this team who struggle with this.

sbark

Reaction score
Awuzie has seemingly struggled at times but on that specific play he couldn't have played it much better.

That ball literally dropped in inches from his helmet (he was playing Jones that tight) and Julio just made a great grab.

No doubt, he should percentage wise start to deflect or knockdown several , he has been that close

Notice teams are throwing a lot less of the routes he was jumping last year, last year he showed great anticipation on slants etc, came very close to several picks, had several knockdown, teams limiting those throws against him, which keeps him guessing .....it'll come, be patient

cnuball21

Reaction score
No, we need to play Lewis who was arguably our best CB last year.

Chido is young and I think his issues are technique based, but Lewis was a top 50 talent in the draft and he’s eating pine after proving he can play at this level last year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In Julio's case, alot of money.

As for Awuzie, sometimes you just have to let players develop. People were crowning him after preseason and then quickly turned on him. He is somewhere in the middle. With as much as he is on the field, if he was truly that bad our pass D would probably be horrid. He needs more consistency with his technique, and after that he needs to be more aggressive playing the ball. We need turnovers.

I wouldnt rule out a CB if that guy is there for you when you are OTC. You take the best talent period. However, right now Im not looking to make in agressive moves to position myself for a CB. Not that much of a need to me. The aggressive move I would make is if Jacksonville really was considering moving Ramsey, I would call and see if can get him for a sub FRP. Very very very doubtful, but you make that call

kskboys

Reaction score
Average at 40 yards does not necessarily mean average at 60 yards.

Man, they used to do specials about this(prolly still do) around combine time, showing how different players rated at different spots. Some players would run better at 10 yds. You might want to check your information source, as it's incorrect.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Coverage
Jones 20 of 41 230 yd 5.6 ypa 0 td 0 int 66.1
Awuzie 40 of 52 543 yd 10.4 ypa 4 td 0 int 135.3
Brown 25 of 35 302 yd 8.6 ypa 1 td 0 int 107.1

Each of our safeties has 1 INT, and we rank next to last in interceptions by defensive backs.

INT by DB
1 Bears 12
2 Dolphins 10
3 (five teams tied with 9)

30 49ers 2
30 Cowboys 2
32 Bucs 1

complied from PFF data