Do we really need a great 3rd Corner??

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
so i just read all the posts since my last visit, anyone bad mouthing henry is a fool, henry is a good CB that has a big time missed tackle. If we cut every guy that missed tackles we wouldn't have a defense.

bysbox1

Reaction score
Woods;1904394 said:
But worst case, let's just keep Fergy.

If we can draft one, great. But we've got Fergy already and he should be able to get the job done for atleast 1 more year, esp. if he gets some rotation help for a series or two.

I think Fergy is serviceable too for another couple of years. NT is a position like Offensive Linemen. Normally players play at a higher level the older they get. Plus you have Ratliff and Tank.

Ithink we need to shore up other positions on defense (like our secondary).

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
We might actually need two more corners.

This is a critical offseason. This organization can not blow this draft.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt;1904443 said:
Does the total include downs in which special teams packages are played? If so, it'd probably bump it up closer to 50% on "real" downs.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Last year, we were in the nickel or dime on about 35 percent of our defensive snaps (and no, that doesn't include special teams snaps, if that's what you were asking).

bysbox1

Reaction score
stealth;1904465 said:
so i just read all the posts since my last visit, anyone bad mouthing henry is a fool, henry is a good CB that has a big time missed tackle. If we cut every guy that missed tackles we wouldn't have a defense.

I think he's good too. He's had a lot of injurys though. Newman was not 100 percent this year.

With today's pass happy offenses, you need a lot of solid corners. That is not a shot on Henry, it's just the way of today's NFL.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I think you have to build that defense to beat the best teams out there. Thats the Pats & Colts. Both are gonna run 3+wr sets as their base offense and you need to match up or you'll see guys like Welker going nuts next year.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1904477 said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Last year, we were in the nickel or dime on about 35 percent of our defensive snaps (and no, that doesn't include special teams snaps, if that's what you were asking).
Yes, that's what I was saying.

You mean, last year as in the 07 season, correct?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
stealth;1904458 said:
not all the time, glenn played the slot a ton, I woudl think he did it more than newman.

Honestly, I don't know what you were watching. The only time Newman wasn't in the slot when we had three cornerbacks on the field was the few times when we matched him up against a particular receiver for a game (and even then, he usually went into the slot anyway).

Remember the Santana Moss touchdowns? Glenn was on Moss, and Newman was in the slot.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woods;1904394 said:
But worst case, let's just keep Fergy.

If we can draft one, great. But we've got Fergy already and he should be able to get the job done for atleast 1 more year, esp. if he gets some rotation help for a series or two.

Fergy's a goner Woods.

He will not be on this roster next season unless he takes a big pay cut.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we can guarantee a corner being selected the first day of the draft... heck I wouldn't be shocked if we went back to the well on day 2 also.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1904279 said:
We could certainly use an upgrade over Reeves, but this loss went way, way, way beyond just a talent deficiency. The Giants' coaches would have swapped secondaries with us in a second.

:starspin I feel the same way, we do need an upgrade over Reeves back there. We had numerous penalties and blown plays yesterday, so we can't focus on just one area in this game, it was a team effort, or lack thereof, depending upon how you look at it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Its a certainty that the birds will improve (or at least try to) their WRs. Giants might as well. The trend in the NFL is for more 3 WR patterns with more TEs that are serious downfield threats. ANY way you look at it the #3 CB is going to be INCREASINGLY more important. You need 3 starting CBs now and if you can find 4 you are better off.
WE HAVE 2.

cowboyz

Reaction score
i think you need a fs/cb hybrid that's so popular.

one that can play safety, yet cover guys like dawkins.

right now roy can't cover TEs, but hamlin can't either. if you have that guy you can stay in the base 3-4 and use the safety to cover the 3rd wr, or just offer zone coverage.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
YES to the original post question/title!

I also agree we need a true coverage safety as well. This hybrid type position will become a standard in the NFL if offenses with 3 and 4 receiving options remain the norm.

We aren't the only team that gets dinked and dunked out there.

LarryCanadian