Do you have a favorite book?

Winonesoon

Reaction score
OIP.gVmyPjjYamgm9czI8Gcb6QHaE8
Or a series you follow? Name some Favs!

cowboyec

Reaction score
Elvis Presley:a life in music-ernst jorgensen...the absolute best book ever written about Elvis.
chronicles every recording session from sun to rca....'53-'77.
tells his life story thru his music.
absolute must read regardless of your level of Elvis-fandom.

last train to memphis and careless love...by peter guralnick...2 volume Elvis biography.
the writing is awesome and the volume of research is stunning.
last train covers birth to his days in the army and being stationed in germany.
careless love covers 1960-1977.

tom landry:an autobiography...must read.
well thought out...well written...some great stories.

the man inside Landry...bob st john...i believe this was the first book written on coach.
st john was a brilliant writer.
incredible insight.
this book came out near the end of the 70s.

winning the big one...steve perkins...chronicles that first super bowl win.
great writing and some incredible stories.
some great behind the scenes stuff regarding duane thomas as well.

the landry legacy...grace under pressure by bob st john...came out in 1989.
lives up to the subject it covered.
exceptional.
anything by the genius bob st john is a must read.

cowboyec

Reaction score
never die easy...the walter payton autobiograpgy by don yeager and walter payton.
its easily one of the best books i've ever read.
written while he fought for his life...its incredibly deeply personal and emotional.
truly an experience.
it will take you on a journey that will stay with you long after you've set it down.
just an incredible piece.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OIP.gVmyPjjYamgm9czI8Gcb6QHaE8
Or a series you follow? Name some Favs!
It’s hard to pick one. I’m a fan of history and biographies, with an occasional good novel thrown in. Here are some recent favorites of mine:
  • Blood and Thunder” by Hampton Sides. Story of Kit Carson and the establishment of New Mexico. Written like a good novel. Both exciting and sad, especially the parts about how the Navajo tribe was treated.
  • In the Kingdom of Ice”- also by Hampton Sides. A riveting story about the American attempt to sail a ship to discover the North Pole in 1879. The ship (not surprisingly) gets stuck in the ice and the crew has an unbelievable challenge to survive. A good reminder of how in our own times, we don’t know what we don’t know about science.
  • “A Team of Rivals”- by Doris Kearns Goodwin- the story of Abraham Lincoln’s time as President and how he selected people for his cabinet that were willing to challenge him rather than surrounding himself with sycophants and yes men. A great story of real leadership.
  • Educated”- by Tara Westover. An amazing true story of a young girl who was home schooled and kept away from regular society by her extremely religious parents in an abusive home. She goes on to escape her surroundings to become a Rhodes Scholar.
  • Stamped from the Beginning”- by Ibram X Kendi- an eye opening history of slavery in America and what that was really like in America from the time an African landed here in the early1600s. Eye opening to say the least.
  • “Death Comes for the Archbishop”- an old novel by Willa Cather. Story of a French priest who is sent to New Mexico (he’s not thrilled) from France to start a church in the late 1800s. He ends up loving it there. A fairly short but interesting read.
These have been my favorites the last couple of years.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elvis Presley:a life in music-ernst jorgensen...the absolute best book ever written about Elvis.
chronicles every recording session from sun to rca....'53-'77.
tells his life story thru his music.
absolute must read regardless of your level of Elvis-fandom.

last train to memphis and careless love...by peter guralnick...2 volume Elvis biography.
the writing is awesome and the volume of research is stunning.
last train covers birth to his days in the army and being stationed in germany.
careless love covers 1960-1977.

tom landry:an autobiography...must read.
well thought out...well written...some great stories.

the man inside Landry...bob st john...i believe this was the first book written on coach.
st john was a brilliant writer.
incredible insight.
this book came out near the end of the 70s.

winning the big one...steve perkins...chronicles that first super bowl win.
great writing and some incredible stories.
some great behind the scenes stuff regarding duane thomas as well.

the landry legacy...grace under pressure by bob st john...came out in 1989.
lives up to the subject it covered.
exceptional.
anything by the genius bob st john is a must read.
I still have an autographed copy of the Landry autobiography. I stood in line for over an hour at a book store in Ft Worth in 1989 or 90 when that book first came out. Got to meet the great Tom Landry. He was such a kind and gracious man. I still remember how big he was. Very impressive person.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
It’s hard to pick one. I’m a fan of history and biographies, with an occasional good novel thrown in. Here are some recent favorites of mine:
  • Blood and Thunder” by Hampton Sides. Story of Kit Carson and the establishment of New Mexico. Written like a good novel. Both exciting and sad, especially the parts about how the Navajo tribe was treated.
  • In the Kingdom of Ice”- also by Hampton Sides. A riveting story about the American attempt to sail a ship to discover the North Pole in 1879. The ship (not surprisingly) gets stuck in the ice and the crew has an unbelievable challenge to survive. A good reminder of how in our own times, we don’t know what we don’t know about science.
  • “A Team of Rivals”- by Doris Kearns Goodwin- the story of Abraham Lincoln’s time as President and how he selected people for his cabinet that were willing to challenge him rather than surrounding himself with sycophants and yes men. A great story of real leadership.
  • Educated”- by Tara Westover. An amazing true story of a young girl who was home schooled and kept away from regular society by her extremely religious parents in an abusive home. She goes on to escape her surroundings to become a Rhodes Scholar.
  • Stamped from the Beginning”- by Ibram X Kendi- an eye opening history of slavery in America and what that was really like in America from the time an African landed here in the early1600s. Eye opening to say the least.
  • “Death Comes for the Archbishop”- an old novel by Willa Cather. Story of a French priest who is sent to New Mexico (he’s not thrilled) from France to start a church in the late 1800s. He ends up loving it there. A fairly short but interesting read.
Very nice I'm reading more and more. I didn't as a teen and young adult. I missed out but, I'm catching up.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I'm a Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror guy.

My favorites are:
Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson - Epic fantasy at its best. The scope and complexity of this series far and away beyond anything else out there.
The First Law trilogy - Joe Abercrombie - One of the most Grimdark series. Awesome!
The Black Company - Glen Cook - Grimdark before there was such a thing. Inspiration of Erikson's
The Dark Tower - Stephen King - Everyone loves King, right! I could add a lot of his books to my list.
The Faithful and the Fallen - John Gwynne - Lots of old school tropes in this series but done very well.

Some others I like:
Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson
Path to Ascendancy - Ian C. Esselmont
The Stand - Stephen King
Demon Cycle - Peter Brett
Novels of the Malazan Empire - Ian C. Esselmont
Riftwar - Raymond Feist
Farseer - Robin Hobb
Coldfire Trilogy - C.S. Friedman
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Silo Series - Hugh Howey
Kingkiller Chronicles - Pat Rothfuss
Frontlines - Marko Kloos
The Fold - Peter Clines
Commonwealth Saga - Peter F. Hamilton
The Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne - Brian Stavely
Acts of Caine - Matthew Stover
Immortal Treachery - Allan Batchelder
Nevernight Chronicle - Jay Kristoff
Necroscope - Brian Lumley
Legend of Zero - Sara King
Greatcoats - Sebastien de Castell
Library at Mount Char - Scott Hawkins
Tales of the Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding
Most of Dan Simmons' books
Iron Druid - Kevin Hearne
Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
The Martian - Andy Weir

I've actually stopped reading lately. Well, really since Covid hit. I need to get back to it. I have hundreds of unread books on my phone..

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to be a voracious reader. I would read any and everything. My mom used to joke I would read the yellow pages if I didn't have a book around. Encyclopedias weren't safe around me. :)

Unfortunately, technology has reduced my reading of books. My attention span is a lot less than it was years ago. Now the only time I read a book is when I'm on a flight and it's almost always a biography of some sort.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Currently reading Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series about Genghis Kahn from birth to death and on into his children and grandchildren Kublai Kahn. I have to say it's one of the better historical fictions I've ever read. The Mongols are the most dominant warriors that ever walked the face of the earth and it's amazing how close they were to ruling the world. If the Mongols had learned to sail we'd all be screwed right now. They made the Comanches look like choir boys.

As far as favorite goes I don't know that I have one. I do know that Watership Down/Richard Adams, Heart Of Darkness/Joseph Conrad, and A Fools Progress/Edward Abbey and The Border Trilogy/Cormac McCarthy would all be in the running though.

Creeper

Reaction score
I tend to read mostly non-fiction these days, but "Red Storm Rising" is my favorite book. I enjoyed "Jurassic Park" and "Raise the Titanic" quite a bit too.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score

Love Hampton Sides. I've read all of his books and followed him through Outside Magazine as well.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score

I've actually stopped reading lately. Well, really since Covid hit. I need to get back to it. I have hundreds of unread books on my phone..[/QUOTE]

Looks like you like his fantasy stuff more, but if you haven't read Terror by Dan Simmons do yourself a favor and read it. They turned it into a series that was on AMC a few years back but it sucked compared to the book.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score

I've actually stopped reading lately. Well, really since Covid hit. I need to get back to it. I have hundreds of unread books on my phone.

Looks like you like his fantasy stuff more, but if you haven't read Terror by Dan Simmons do yourself a favor and read it. They turned it into a series that was on AMC a few years back but it sucked compared to the book.
Yep, it's one of my favorites of his. It is one hell of a good book.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
The Harry Hole detective series by Jo Nesbo is excellent, as is the Shardlake series by C.J Sansom.

If autobiographies are your thing, Born standing up by Steve Martin is a fantastic read.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I'm a Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror guy.

My favorites are:
Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson - Epic fantasy at its best. The scope and complexity of this series far and away beyond anything else out there.
The First Law trilogy - Joe Abercrombie - One of the most Grimdark series. Awesome!
The Black Company - Glen Cook - Grimdark before there was such a thing. Inspiration of Erikson's
The Dark Tower - Stephen King - Everyone loves King, right! I could add a lot of his books to my list.
The Faithful and the Fallen - John Gwynne - Lots of old school tropes in this series but done very well.

Some others I like:
Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson
Path to Ascendancy - Ian C. Esselmont
The Stand - Stephen King
Demon Cycle - Peter Brett
Novels of the Malazan Empire - Ian C. Esselmont
Riftwar - Raymond Feist
Farseer - Robin Hobb
Coldfire Trilogy - C.S. Friedman
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Silo Series - Hugh Howey
Kingkiller Chronicles - Pat Rothfuss
Frontlines - Marko Kloos
The Fold - Peter Clines
Commonwealth Saga - Peter F. Hamilton
The Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne - Brian Stavely
Acts of Caine - Matthew Stover
Immortal Treachery - Allan Batchelder
Nevernight Chronicle - Jay Kristoff
Necroscope - Brian Lumley
Legend of Zero - Sara King
Greatcoats - Sebastien de Castell
Library at Mount Char - Scott Hawkins
Tales of the Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding
Iron Druid - Kevin Hearne
Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
The Martian - Andy Weir

I've actually stopped reading lately. Well, really since Covid hit. I need to get back to it. I have hundreds of unread books on my phone..

It has been 14 years since I read about day one of the 3 days of kingkiller chronicles. Still waiting on day 3

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
It has been 14 years since I read about day one of the 3 days of kingkiller chronicles. Still waiting on day 3
And Kvothe has yet to live up to any of his names much less kill a king. I don't see how he can finish the story in one more book. Not that he is ever going to finish it.