Do you like the hiring of Dan Quinn?

Winonesoon

Reaction score
yes, but, it needs to be all defense. Draft, FA and cut down. Its a huge task. God help him! Its not a one year task..

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you are keeping the 4-3 scheme, and that would be my preference, I'm not sure who would be a better hire from who is available. I like it. As with every scheme, you either get the players to play it or you don't.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
People do know that Richard was coaching the same system as Quinn right? Dallas defense is not forgien to this scheme. We need to draft heavy on defense but I think most would agree that is where we needed to go defense in the draft no matter who was hired. People seem to be losing it yet can't figure out that Richard was coaching the same damn defense that Quinn is brining in.

ESisback

Reaction score
yes, but, it needs to be all defense. Draft, FA and cut down. Its a huge task. God help him! Its not a one year task..

But the D can at least be BETTER in 2021! Add that to a better offense, and we COULD win another 3-5 games. Let it unfold!

Motorola

Reaction score
I just wish this organization would decide what kind of defense they are trying to be. Quinn is the 9th DC we have hired in 20 seasons. We have run the 4-3 then switched to the 3-4, then back to the 4-3, then for one year the hybrid 4-2-5, now back to the 4-3.

I don’t know if Dan Quinn can fix this horrible defense or not. But this team desperately needs an infusion of defensive talent and for the love of all things football stick with a philosophy and scheme for a while.
If a team keeps changing the people in the principal roles - HC and DC- philosophies and schemes are in constant flux.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
People do know that Richard was coaching the same system as Quinn right? Dallas defense is not forgien to this scheme. We need to draft heavy on defense but I think most would agree that is where we needed to go defense in the draft no matter who was hired. People seem to be losing it yet can't figure out that Richard was coaching the same damn defense that Quinn is brining in.

The difference is that when Richard was here, the front end was playing a very different scheme, then is what Quinn will teach. Quinn will use a single gap DL scheme with bigger Lineman to try and make this work. That's exactly opposite what Marinelli used. Marinelli and Richard were not on the same page and that killed them and us. That should not be the case with Quinn. Now, will Quinn be successful? That I don't know but the product on the field should be very different, scheme wise.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The difference is that when Richard was here, the front end was playing a very different scheme, then is what Quinn will teach. Quinn will use a single gap DL scheme with bigger Lineman to try and make this work. That's exactly opposite what Marinelli used. Marinelli and Richard were not on the same page and that killed them and us. That should not be the case with Quinn. Now, will Quinn be successful? That I don't know but the product on the field should be very different, scheme wise.

I don't disagree and as I continue to say no matter what scheme you use you better have players to execute it. Fact is there is not a defensive scheme in the NFL or any level of football that can't be beat. It comes down to players, executing and making the plays. It is the coaches job to develop players and get them playing to their ability. People are getting caught up more into scheme than players. If you could point out 1 defensive scheme that can't be beat I am all ears.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't disagree and as I continue to say no matter what scheme you use you better have players to execute it. Fact is there is not a defensive scheme in the NFL or any level of football that can't be beat. It comes down to players, executing and making the plays. It is the coaches job to develop players and get them playing to their ability. People are getting caught up more into scheme than players. If you could point out 1 defensive scheme that can't be beat I am all ears.

I would agree. Every thing comes down to execution and personnel.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn starts with an advantage few DC DC's have ever had besides the fact he will get a hands on off season with his players.

He is taking over with the Cowboys coming off their worst defensive season in history. If not for the QB contract, that's all anyone would talk about so that forces the Joneses hand to address that part of the team these two follow the ball fools don't like to address.

What he doesn't have is Avril, Bennett, Wagner, Wright, Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor or their equivalence on his D, except this DL could hold up for him but this back 7 couldn't carry SEA's jocks.

Quinn and Richard didn't build that D so it remains to be seen how much leeway he will have with adding players. And his D in ATL, except for a very good LB, was average to poor.

I feel about Quinn as I do about McC. Better than what they had.

ESisback

Reaction score
Quinn starts with an advantage few DC DC's have ever had besides the fact he will get a hands on off season with his players.

He is taking over with the Cowboys coming off their worst defensive season in history. If not for the QB contract, that's all anyone would talk about so that forces the Joneses hand to address that part of the team these two follow the ball fools don't like to address.

What he doesn't have is Avril, Bennett, Wagner, Wright, Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor or their equivalence on his D, except this DL could hold up for him but this back 7 couldn't carry SEA's jocks.

Quinn and Richard didn't build that D so it remains to be seen how much leeway he will have with adding players. And his D in ATL, except for a very good LB, was average to poor.

I feel about Quinn as I do about McC. Better than what they had.

Yeah, they’re not gonna be world beaters on D in 2021, but IMHO, they’ll be better, IF they acquire some good players AND remain relatively healthy. A better offense will help.

I wonder if they’ll “double down” like they’ve done several times in previous years. Between FA and the draft: 2 DT, 2S, 2LB, 2DE, 2CB...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, they’re not gonna be world beaters on D in 2021, but IMHO, they’ll be better, IF they acquire some good players AND remain relatively healthy. A better offense will help.

I wonder if they’ll “double down” like they’ve done several times in previous years. Between FA and the draft: 2 DT, 2S, 2LB, 2DE, 2CB...
Hard to predict what they'll do because if they picked a player, they have the tendency to value him a little too highly.

What we attribute a 6-10 season to and the Joneses attribute that to are likely to be different. They fired the DC after one season, that's a pretty good hint.

ESisback

Reaction score
Hard to predict what they'll do because if they picked a player, they have the tendency to value him a little too highly.

What we attribute a 6-10 season to and the Joneses attribute that to are likely to be different. They fired the DC after one season, that's a pretty good hint.

Yep! Of course EVERY team that acquires a player who doesn’t get them a ring or make the Pro Bowl could be said to overvalue their acquisitions. Kinda common, but we notice it more than non-fans.