Do you really need 20 Million DE's?

coult44

Reaction score
Look, I'm a big Tank guy. Y'all also know I'm a HUGE "hate the FO" guy. So keep that in mind when I bring this to your attention.

I looked at the top 10 defenses in the NFL last season. Out of those 10 teams, only two of them paid their RDE and LDE a combined salary of more than 18 Million dollars. That's for both sides people. Minnesota, and Houston. Pittsburgh would make 3 but I wanted to stay top ten ranked defensive teams.

So tell me what I'm missing here? As much as I know we need quality first tier guys at several positions, do we want 23 million wrapped up in one where the highest paid player at that position doesn't get his team into the top ten in defense??? Are we good enough every where else to justify this?

Again, I like Tank, I knew from the beginning he was the War Daddy Jerry dreamed of. But paying him over 20 million a year doesn't ensure nothing. All it really does is create a scapegoat when things go south!!!

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
I find cowboys fans comical. How this board was before Tank busted out on the scene. Everybody was looking for the wardaddy but now yall dont want them to commit. Ok he walks then who does what? Some bargin bin player? Please. I can see the complaints now about us having no pass rush

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Look, I'm a big Tank guy. Y'all also know I'm a HUGE "hate the FO" guy. So keep that in mind when I bring this to your attention.

I looked at the top 10 defenses in the NFL last season. Out of those 10 teams, only two of them paid their RDE and LDE a combined salary of more than 18 Million dollars. That's for both sides people. Minnesota, and Houston. Pittsburgh would make 3 but I wanted to stay top ten ranked defensive teams.

So tell me what I'm missing here? As much as I know we need quality first tier guys at several positions, do we want 23 million wrapped up in one where the highest paid player at that position doesn't get his team into the top ten in defense??? Are we good enough every where else to justify this?

Again, I like Tank, I knew from the beginning he was the War Daddy Jerry dreamed of. But paying him over 20 million a year doesn't ensure nothing. All it really does is create a scapegoat when things go south!!!

If the Cowboys are not willing to pay this much for a DE, then they should have never used the franchise tag on Tank.

Did you see the Pats use the franchise tag on FLowers? No, they thanked him for his services and he signed for $18.5 yr with Detriot.

The Cowboys should do the same with Tank. Either commit to paying him $20+ million or recend the tag and let him be a free agent.

And I am not disagreeing with you my friend, I actually think you make a good argument to not pay that much to one single player on your DL, just like the pats decided not to do.

Proof

Reaction score
Not to disagree because I like the premise, but for clarity do any of these top ten teams have elite DE’s on rookie deals? Do they run a different front and pay an astronomical amount for an OLB like Chicago and Mack?

Where is the money allocated and is there any position amongst them that shows a trend?

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Most teams have a hard time when they pay 1-2 players 25% of the cap... its true Tank is a good/great player but it’s also true he disappears for large swaths of the season... he’s also young at 26 probably has 4 more years with top end play left, but he has injury issues.

agk136

Reaction score
I say try to trade him or let him go. This team can not put that much money into a non-QB. We have too many other players we need to try to keep. If any player is not willing to give a little to keep a good team intact and is looking only for the money then I'd prefer they tell him goodbye. Nothing good is going to come out of this situation if they end up paying him 22+ a year.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

I'm rolling solid & saddled up in yer posse on this one ,Col.Colt.44o_O

* although Marty Robbins ol' tune of "Bass.44" is WAAAAaaaYyyyyy cooler than you,as yer' well aware of that ,as I'm sure of that :starspin:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
seems like the only guys fans want to get paid is offensive linemen.

“Nah we can draft another RB. nah we dont need a #1 WR. Nah we dont need to pay a DE top money. Nah we dont need a S”
Sez' who? As that #38 commands the turf of twice the price of his fictitiously labeled "peers",,,SHEESE! o_O

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Pay tank what he wants. After all, he is bigger than the Dallas Cowboys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What about Chicago? Or is this another one of those lame DE vs OLB things?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The odds of that contract ending in favor of the Dallas Cowboys are almost nil. With the shoulder injury we may not even get much in year 1. Odds of getting value only decrease after year 1.

superonyx

Reaction score
The NFL has started to suck due to free agency.
The league needs a salary cap exemption for players drafted by a team so that being successful in the draft has more of a long term benefit. It also would help fans who like the old days when a player could spend his whole career on the same team.

Its not going to happen any time soon. But free agency causes me to lose a certain level of interest in this sport.

Draft franchise players and then watch them walk away because you are good at evaluating talent.

Frederick, Martin, Smith, Dak, Zeke, B Jones, Tank, Jaylon Smith, can't all collectively account for 150M of your cap.

Then a mid tier guy like Flowers gets 19m per year and of course Tank wants more than that.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Not to disagree because I like the premise, but for clarity do any of these top ten teams have elite DE’s on rookie deals? Do they run a different front and pay an astronomical amount for an OLB like Chicago and Mack?
Dont bring that up. OLB are not part of his DE agenda.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Jerry loves DE's lol so he might someday have 2 @ 20 mil each !! One on each side .... when they are healthy.

I wonder how jerry gets any deals done with the way he um ah talks in roundabout ways , never really saying anything .