Do you really need 20 Million DE's?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
All three need to raise their level of play back up to their usual standards, and how they're being paid. None of them played as well last year as they have in the past. And the offense overall struggled as a direct result. If not, it's time to reconsider what's they're being paid and the return on investment.

Who's Fletcher?

Eh. Fleming.

Martin should be fully healthy and fully back up to his All Pro ways. Frederick may or may not be all the way back, but we're not cutting him while he recovers. Both of those guys should be back up to their top play eventually.

The trouble with Tyron is that his "usual" is just not going to be his historical best. I think it's enough to justify his salary.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eh. Fleming.

Martin should be fully healthy and fully back up to his All Pro ways. Frederick may or may not be all the way back, but we're not cutting him while he recovers. Both of those guys should be back up to their top play eventually.

The trouble with Tyron is that his "usual" is just not going to be his historical best. I think it's enough to justify his salary.

Hope you're right, for everyone's sake.
:thumbup:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't know if you saw it, but it's come out that the Cowboys first tried to lowball Lawrence and offered just $17 million a year. That's insulting to the player and that's on them. Their fault. That's why we're here at this point.

Now Lawrence can highball them. Heh. Good times for Lawrence.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
The most valuable part of this defense is the play making linebackers. They are the main difference in the improvement from 17 to 18. Additionally the coverage was better at corner and free safety. The technique was way better. Lawrence is a good player but I’m signing Jaylon, Cooper and even Zeke before I would pay a pass rusher not named Donald, Miller, Watt or maybe Mack. I would rather pay Fletcher Cox that kind of money.

Lawrence is good and I have no begrudgment of him. I would get what could and move on.

uvaballa

Reaction score
The most valuable part of this defense is the play making linebackers. They are the main difference in the improvement from 17 to 18. Additionally the coverage was better at corner and free safety. The technique was way better. Lawrence is a good player but I’m signing Jaylon, Cooper and even Zeke before I would pay a pass rusher not named Donald, Miller, Watt or maybe Mack. I would rather pay Fletcher Cox that kind of money.

Lawrence is good and I have no begrudgment of him. I would get what could and move on.
Those guys didn’t look too good against the Rams. Need more help upfront not less.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't see how. If he doesn't sign the tag, we owe him nothing and he can't sign with anybody else. How does that keep us held hostage? I mean, the one thing I can see him doing is holding out until the 10th week but if he does that, then he doesn't get paid for the entire season and he loses money. In addition, he still has to have surgery and pass a physical so it's not a given that he could be reinstated either. He could miss an entire season and he's still in the same position the next year, I believe. I mean, if he misses a year, that's not going to help his case IMO. I don't believe he will get paid what he wants upon his return, especially if the team that he negotiates with is not willing to give up a first and a third plus the contract demands he wants. I think his best bet, if he wants to get paid what he says he does, is to negotiate a deal on a trade with a team that is willing to give up the picks and the salary. I don't believe that team is out there but if it is, that's a win/win and I would jump all over it.
I'm mistaken. If he signs the tag, then holds out/gets surgery...Is what I should have said.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm mistaken. If he signs the tag, then holds out/gets surgery...Is what I should have said.

He can't hold out, he can get surgery thou but then that answers the question yes? I mean, the tag is not chicken feed. That's a nice pay check so if that's the kind of player he wants to be, then we have all year to work out a trade and move on. It's not ideal but if that's the kind of Dude he is, then I feel like we are dodging a bullet by not signing him to a bigtime 5 year deal. JMO

conner01

Reaction score
Maybe that's why he hasn't had the surgery done either. If the team was clearly trying to lowball me, while I knew I could get paid more elsewhere? Yeah, I'd use whatever leverage I had too.
I’d get the surgery and just not sign tag
In the long run I think not getting it has and will cost him money
I think part of not getting this done is the fact they know he’s not gonna likely be ready to start the season and could miss significant number of games

408Cowboy

Reaction score
It's tough for me to say when the Raiders can get two 1st round draft picks and then Mack can break the bank for defensive player salary for the entire league. That one is still a shocker for me and I'm still not sure who truly got the better end of the deal.
Is it too easy to say Mack got the better end?

conner01

Reaction score
Holding out after signing the tag means he doesn’t get paid
He could sign and have surgery but once he’s healthy he has to play to get paid

Reactions: G2

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think part of not getting this done is the fact they know he’s not gonna likely be ready to start the season and could miss significant number of games

This was part of the problem last year as well. This injury is a hold over from last season and he didn't get it done when the team wanted him to do it then either. This is weird to me that it's still an issue. I wonder if there is more there then we know?

conner01

Reaction score
This was part of the problem last year as well. This injury is a hold over from last season and he didn't get it done when the team wanted him to do it then either. This is weird to me that it's still an issue. I wonder if there is more there then we know?
I assume since they’ve made him pretty big offers they don’t see it as a future issue but who knows
Seems to me the whole issue is 85 mil in guaranteed money

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think the opposite. I think he will eventually get the surgery so he's day for the season, but he's using all leverage he can at this point.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
The most I'd do would be 6 years/125 million with 70 million guaranteed. Majority of the guaranteed money would be in the first three years.
Even this is pushing it.
Now, if we can get a great haul for him via trade? That works too.
I don't mind signing Asnah if healthy and going that route, too. In fact, I kinda prefer that way.
Either way we really need a dominant DT - 3T or 1T.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find cowboys fans comical. How this board was before Tank busted out on the scene. Everybody was looking for the wardaddy but now yall dont want them to commit. Ok he walks then who does what? Some bargin bin player? Please. I can see the complaints now about us having no pass rush

How is tank a "war daddy"? He's had 2 double digit sack seasons in 5. He's been injured just about every season. He's in the NFL's substance abuse program. Yet, he wants more money than Von Miller and Khalil Mack. If he was actually that good, maybe you sign him for what he wants. But he is not durable nor is he consistent enough to pay 140 million over 6 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
How is tank a "war daddy"? He's had 2 double digit sack seasons in 5. He's been injured just about every season. He's in the NFL's substance abuse program. Yet, he wants more money than Von Miller and Khalil Mack. If he was actually that good, maybe you sign him for what he wants. But he is not durable nor is he consistent enough to pay 140 million over 6 years.
Yup.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Look, I'm a big Tank guy. Y'all also know I'm a HUGE "hate the FO" guy. So keep that in mind when I bring this to your attention.

I looked at the top 10 defenses in the NFL last season. Out of those 10 teams, only two of them paid their RDE and LDE a combined salary of more than 18 Million dollars. That's for both sides people. Minnesota, and Houston. Pittsburgh would make 3 but I wanted to stay top ten ranked defensive teams.

So tell me what I'm missing here? As much as I know we need quality first tier guys at several positions, do we want 23 million wrapped up in one where the highest paid player at that position doesn't get his team into the top ten in defense??? Are we good enough every where else to justify this?

Again, I like Tank, I knew from the beginning he was the War Daddy Jerry dreamed of. But paying him over 20 million a year doesn't ensure nothing. All it really does is create a scapegoat when things go south!!!

Its pretty simple actually. Cowboys know with little pass rush they have little hope of going far. And since their only two legitimate DE's may not be on the team next year, they are covering their basses.

Tank and Gregory are two big reasons why we didnt see the Seattle safety here in Dallas. There were other, more pressing needs. They HAD to sure up the DE position. And NOW they arent forced to reach for a DE in the draft like they did with the horrid soft Taco.

Wood

Reaction score
If the Cowboys are not willing to pay this much for a DE, then they should have never used the franchise tag on Tank.

Did you see the Pats use the franchise tag on FLowers? No, they thanked him for his services and he signed for $18.5 yr with Detriot.

The Cowboys should do the same with Tank. Either commit to paying him $20+ million or recend the tag and let him be a free agent.

And I am not disagreeing with you my friend, I actually think you make a good argument to not pay that much to one single player on your DL, just like the pats decided not to do.

That's exactly the problem. When Dallas franchised Tank they essentially agreed he is elite and they can't live without him.