Do you root for Dak to fail?

Do you root for Dak Prescott to Fail

• Total voters

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I was hoping for at least 1. If one person admitted it, I would have been satisfied

Sure, because then you could post on the front page that "people in our own fanbase are openly hoping for Dak to fail" and you could point to your poll as evidence.

Oh, the self righteous handwringing. The weeping and gnashing of teeth that would surely ensue.

Meanwhile, 85% of the fanbase hopes Garrett fails miserably and gets fired by lunch, and all is well.

Gotta love it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So what if it is?

There are people on this forum who are actively rooting for Garrett to fail and be fired, and no one even dares question their fanhood.
I've seen posts hoping we lose out so that Jerry will have no choice but to fire Garrett, because they are convinced that having Garrett gone would be best for the Cowboys long term. People of this mindset are not only "not looked down on" they are often applauded and showered with understanding.

So my question is this:

Why is it "ok" to root for some portions of the Cowboys to fail and be acknowledged as a conscientious fan, while if you root for another portion of the organization to fail people are not nearly as welcoming of said view point?

You want my honest opinion? We're 4 years into the Prescott experiment and I'm not seeing it. People talk about how he's the "franchise" and we can let Cooper walk, let Zeke walk, let 'em all walk, just make sure and sign Dak for whatever he wants because "franchise" QB's don't grow on trees and you can't win without one.

And then I go back to the first half of 2018. 7 games in to last year, before the Cooper trade, Dak had only surpassed 200 yards passing 3 times in 7 games. THREE TIMES, in the most pass happy era of NFL history. And 8 TD in those 7 games. And people are saying, pay Dak and let Cooper walk? Seems to me, we've got our priorities mixed up. Dak was having problems cracking 200 yards a game, until Cooper walked through the door. Doesn't that tell you something? Shouldn't it?

Speaking *only* for myself, this guy is not a franchise QB. Doesn't even resemble one. He needs shiny toys and stud O linemen all over the place just to look competent, half the time. And even then, with the mind boggling amount of talent all over the offense at both line and skill positions, we've still lost 2 games this season where 14 points gets us the win.

Think about that. We have 2 losses where the defense gave up 13 or less points. That's the difference between 6-6 and 8-4. 14 points in both of those games and we're still in the mix for a first round bye, potentially. And we're talking about paying this guy $40 million?

At the end of the day, I don't want anyone on the Cowboys to fail. I want Dak to do well. I want Garrett to do well. I want the Cowboys to win the Super Bowl with regularity. But if fans "wants" and "wishes" mattered, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Dak would be balling out and Garrett would be Belichick-esque.

It hasn't happened, and from what I've seen it never will. And for that reason, I want JG gone, and also I want Dak gone. Because I've seen enough of him over the past 4 years to conclude that he ain't the guy to get us there. Paying him $35-40 million a year would be one of the most tragic mistakes in the history of this franchise. And give the past 25 years of Jerry's GM tenure, that's saying something.
I’ll take the opinion of the experts as well as mine about Dak being worth 30+million. Like Jimmy Johnson, Troy Ailman and Bill Belichick for example.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I’ll take the opinion of the experts as well as mine about Dak being worth 30+million. Like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick for example.

And that's fine. You're certainly entitled to that opinion, it's a free country.
You are standing on what you think is best for the Cowboys.

Why the hell are you so seemingly offended by other people who do the same, merely because they don't agree with you? That's the part of my post that you refuse to acknowledge. And it's obvious why.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
And that's fine. You're certainly entitled to that opinion, it's a free country.
You are standing on what you think is best for the Cowboys.

Why the hell are you so seemingly offended by other people who do the same, merely because they don't agree with you? That's the part of my post that you refuse to acknowledge. And it's obvious why.
Because you’re so obviously wrong and have some kind of agenda.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Because you’re so obviously wrong and have some kind of agenda.

Oh yeah? Well my Dad is tougher than yours....

:laugh:

Seriously no point in having this discussion. Neither of us is going to convince the other that he's wrong.

I guess time will tell. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Oh yeah? Well my Dad is tougher than yours....

:laugh:

Seriously no point in having this discussion. Neither of us is going to convince the other that he's wrong.

I guess time will tell. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.
Same to you and Cowboys win out!

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Only if we pay him $40 million to fail.

if we do the smart thing, and start over with a new QB, and Dak fails somewhere else, it will be regarded as a good decision, not set back.
OK...who is the "new QB" and what tells us he will be successful?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
OK...who is the "new QB" and what tells us he will be successful?

A lot can change between now and next year. Draft, FA, etc. I would salivate at the opportunity for us to get our hands on Joe Burrow, frankly. I'd rather us trade a bunch of picks to get him than to pay Dak $40 million. But that's just me.

What I can tell you is, I know who the "current QB" is and I've seen nothing to tell me eventually he'll be successful at the level he's asking to be paid.

Overpaying for the status quo because you're afraid of the unknown, is the easy decision.
Far too many times we've seen the Cowboys do this during the last 25 years.

Heck, many people think Jerry overpaid for Zeke. And that guy was the leading rusher in the entire league 2 out of 3 years.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
A lot can change between now and next year. Draft, FA, etc. I would salivate at the opportunity for us to get our hands on Joe Burrow, frankly. I'd rather us trade a bunch of picks to get him than to pay Dak $40 million. But that's just me.

What I can tell you is, I know who the "current QB" is and I've seen nothing to tell me eventually he'll be successful at the level he's asking to be paid.

Overpaying for the status quo because you're afraid of the unknown, is the easy decision.
Far too many times we've seen the Cowboys do this during the last 25 years.

Heck, many people think Jerry overpaid for Zeke. And that guy was the leading rusher in the entire league 2 out of 3 years.
The Cowboys are kind of stuck with overpaying a good QB or taking at chance at looking for his replacement and being close to non-competitive during that time.

If they decide to look elsewhere, they should reconsider the structure of their entire roster and work toward a roster full of solid players with less star power.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
The Cowboys are kind of stuck with overpaying a good QB or taking at chance at looking for his replacement and being close to non-competitive during that time.

If they decide to look elsewhere, they should reconsider the structure of their entire roster and work toward a roster full of solid players with less star power.

I don't disagree with the closing sentence at all. I would have no issue with there being no sacred cows. I do think there are some guys on this roster worth keeping/paying but I'd have no problem starting the entire process over with McClay at the helm. I think we'd be doing real well in 3 years or so with that approach.

As for your first sentence, I'm not saying this to be snarky but we are close to being non-competitive right now. Why pay $40 million a year for that?
our 6-6 record would put us in 3rd place in every other division in the NFL but 2 (6-6 would put us 2nd in both the AFC West and the NFC south. Outside of that, let's just say we're awfully fortunate to be playing in the NFC East.)

The fact that we are talking playoffs right now is more a product of our awful division than good play on teh field.

To me, that's not worth $40 million a year. I'd much rather go with your 2nd option of nuking it and starting over. A'la 1989.