Do you think it (Firing Wade) happens today?

superpunk

Reaction score
It's one thing to say Spagnuolo - but you can't discount GM Reese. He's drafted so much talent there that they just "Plug and play". They lost one of the best pass rushers in the NFL before the season even started. Their LB corps are beaten badly. They lost several members of their secondary and Michael Strahan to retirement...

and it's like nothing happened.

Mad props to Reese and Coughlin. I can't hate them. They're just better at their jobs than our guys are.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Big Dakota;2395408 said:
I can agree on all accounts. Off topic but look at it this way. I've bashed Tuna as much as most, but maybe Jerry should have gotten out of the guys way and let him make the decisions like NOT bringing in TO, and such, and maybe we'd still have a HOF coach running the team? Jerry, IMO, undermines just about everything going on with this team. He's a good man and loves the Cowboys as much as anyone alive, but he ends up doing as much damage as he does good. JMHO. Miami looks like an 8 win team with Tuna and would probably be a 2 win team had Jerry taken it over.
It was Parcells' decision to go with TO. Jerrah told him point blank he didn't have to do it.

Every guy (around the league)that Parcells asked told him TO would be a smart move.

I hate when people insinuate TO was brought here against Tuna's will. Nothing could be further from the truth. Parcells just handled the situation wrong when TO eventually did get here.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Jerry will ride it out. Who was it that had a picture of the Titanic will BP on it in their sig? Replace Wades pic with BP's pic and it would be perfect.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;2395665 said:
It's one thing to say Spagnuolo - but you can't discount GM Reese. He's drafted so much talent there that they just "Plug and play". They lost one of the best pass rushers in the NFL before the season even started. Their LB corps are beaten badly. They lost several members of their secondary and Michael Strahan to retirement...

Mad props to Reese and Coughlin. I can't hate them. They're just better at their jobs than our guys are.

So true.....

wileedog

Reaction score
theebs;2395450 said:
I cant see it happening. Pat summerall said it best. If he makes a move during the season and then the team falls apart on garrett, the team may be lost to garrett also.

Then you have to change everything in january.

If something drastic doesn't change - and I don't mean just getting Romo back, he doesn't committ 12 dumbarse penalties a game - then you have to change everything in January anyway. Garret has done nothing this season to indicate we should still be following Plan A with him taking over next year.

At this point I would make the move - can Wade, give Garret a test by fire. If he can snap the team out of whatever fog they are in and do a better job getting them prepared to play, maybe they can make a run.

If not, clean house in January and get Bill Cowher in here pronto.

Seriously, its like the Brad Johnson/Bollinger decision on a larger scale. Wade has exhibited fail in every way possible since December of last year. What is Garret going to do that is going to screw up anything worse at this point?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
superpunk;2395665 said:

I remember when many were blasting the Giants organization for having SO MANY DE's.... worked out pretty good.

Primetime42;2395737 said:
It was Parcells' decision to go with TO. Jerrah told him point blank he didn't have to do it.

Every guy (around the league)that Parcells asked told him TO would be a smart move.

I hate when people insinuate TO was brought here against Tuna's will. Nothing could be further from the truth. Parcells just handled the situation wrong when TO eventually did get here.

I dont think Bill was totally against the TO idea. Parcells played with him on the sidelines during games. They just are two diva's in their own right.

MrMom

Reaction score
superpunk;2395360 said:
He's the head coach. That's where the buck stops.

(also you may have missed it but his defense just gave up nearly 200 yards on the ground.)

But didn't you hear?

Most of those rushing yards were given up when the game was well in hand for NY. So, those 200 isn't an indictment on this D, clearly.

:rolleyes:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
No. Nyet. Chale. 否. Αριθ. Nein.

Jerra needs time to go through his Wade scrapbook and re-live the good times before he fires the Michellin Man.
I think the firing will come the day after the Commanders game.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Although the Rooney Rule is largely a farce, firing Phillips midstream is the only way you could hand the team to Garret without "doing the needful".

I'm just not in favor of it myself.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Sheer idiocy...this is a topic for the offseason.

There will be no change and should be no change during the season.

Fire a 13-3 coach for losing with a team playing without their star QB and with 4 inexperienced DBs in the secondary (2 rookies) is the looniest thing I've ever heard.

Name me one coach, any coach, who could win with the team we currently put on the field offensively and defensively???

If you want to blame Garrett for selling the team a bill of goods on Brad Johnson, fine...if you want to blame Wade for being a tool for going along with his OC's decision, fine...if you want to blame JJ since he is the gm, fine, but even then, you don't fire a coach for making a bad personel decision in the offseason regarding your backup QB....you never fire a coach over one season....foolishness.

The main problem on the field right now is all the guys with no experience in the system or the NFL or with the Cowboys who are playing on both sides due to injuries, etc. Why create another lack of continuity by firing the coaching staff and starting all over again?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
It would be extremely foolish to can Wade Phillips at this juncture of the season.

Who in house are you going to promote to Interim-HC?

The problems with this team are alot bigger than the Coaching Staff.

Not sure how long it is going to take Cowboys fans to actually start realizing this.

I think you keep Wade Phillips for the remainder of the Season, no matter how bad it gets.

Make the push for Bill Cowher in the OffSeason and let him straighten the players out.

Heck, if we could get Bill Cowher, we could possibly raid the Steelers' coaching staff and players.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
nyc;2395465 said:
I'm not sure Spagnuolo is the answer either. The team needs a leader as the coach. Wade isn't a leader. I'm not sure Spagnuolo is either. He is rather quite. Wade is a great DC as long as he doesn't have to lead.

I think Marty Schottenheimer would be a better choice as a head coach than Spagnuolo. Yes, Marty has had issues with winning in the playoffs, but he is a leader among his team.

Don't take that wrong, I'm not saying hire Schottenheimer, I'm just saying he would probably be a better HC. Defensive genius does not make a great HC. A true leader makes a great head coach.

I had forgotten ole Marty. He'd be a good coach IMO. He likely wouldn't coach here with Jerry meddling. As long as Jerry has a talented toy to play with he will meddle and play GM. And it seems obvious to me that Jerry told any coach will allow him access to the media yada yada. So who in the world is going to come here that's a leader who will coach having to say "discuss it with Jerry"? Jerry will have to get desperate again to just play GM and stay out of the media.

So I agree with you that we need that kind of coach but I don't see it happening either.

wileedog;2395789 said:
If something drastic doesn't change - and I don't mean just getting Romo back, he doesn't committ 12 dumbarse penalties a game - then you have to change everything in January anyway. Garret has done nothing this season to indicate we should still be following Plan A with him taking over next year.

At this point I would make the move - can Wade, give Garret a test by fire. If he can snap the team out of whatever fog they are in and do a better job getting them prepared to play, maybe they can make a run.

If not, clean house in January and get Bill Cowher in here pronto.

Seriously, its like the Brad Johnson/Bollinger decision on a larger scale. Wade has exhibited fail in every way possible since December of last year. What is Garret going to do that is going to screw up anything worse at this point?

Cowher would be my first choice, too. I don't blame Wade a lot for this as he's only doing what he agreed to do, IMO, when he was hired. And that's take a back seat to Jerry.

wayne motley;2396202 said:
Sheer idiocy...this is a topic for the offseason.

There will be no change and should be no change during the season.

Fire a 13-3 coach for losing with a team playing without their star QB and with 4 inexperienced DBs in the secondary (2 rookies) is the looniest thing I've ever heard.

Name me one coach, any coach, who could win with the team we currently put on the field offensively and defensively???

If you want to blame Garrett for selling the team a bill of goods on Brad Johnson, fine...if you want to blame Wade for being a tool for going along with his OC's decision, fine...if you want to blame JJ since he is the gm, fine, but even then, you don't fire a coach for making a bad personel decision in the offseason regarding your backup QB....you never fire a coach over one season....foolishness.

The main problem on the field right now is all the guys with no experience in the system or the NFL or with the Cowboys who are playing on both sides due to injuries, etc. Why create another lack of continuity by firing the coaching staff and starting all over again?

Well said. Absolutely no way you fire him now. We need to see what we really have with Romo and the rest back.