Do you think there's any chance Thompson doesn't make the team?

VACowboy

Reaction score
Jones, Barber and possibly Battle. Is it possible? Think anyone would claim Battle before he clears waivers?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
There is a very good possibility. He's only contribution is on kickoffs and Austin is better than he is.

adamknite

Reaction score
Yeah there's a good chance. Heck there's the possibillity that Hurd or Austin could not make this team. Just depends on how the Rookies do. Thompson though I think has the most work ahead of him to stay on the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say it's better than 50-50 that Thompson doesn't return.

Seems to me that he was more of a Parcells project than a Cowboys project anyway.

And the team is apparently looking at alternatives, given that they recently worked out Trung Canidate.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I really like Thompson, but there have been some mentions in an article or two that the team is doubtful of him this year.

Who knows why... I wonder if he hasn't been working hard in the offseason or if there are some character concerns we don't know about.

hendog

Reaction score
I don't think he makes the team. With Austin's ability to return kicks I think we will look to upgrade that 3rd RB spot to a better all around back to use in case of an injury to JJ or MB3.

I would like to see Battle win the 3rd back spot and then keep Alonzo Coleman from Hampton as the special teams "ace" provided that he could fill that role. I would like to have someone with his skill set be able to be a return man as well as the gunner. Goodbye Killa Keith.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1483325 said:
I really like Thompson, but there have been some mentions in an article or two that the team is doubtful of him this year.

Who knows why... I wonder if he hasn't been working hard in the offseason or if there are some character concerns we don't know about.

We just have too many other players that can do more than he can. I like him as a player but he can be easily upgraded.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
hendog;1483327 said:
I don't think he makes the team. With Austin's ability to return kicks I think we will look to upgrade that 3rd RB spot to a better all around back to use in case of an injury to JJ or MB3.

I would like to see Battle win the 3rd back spot and then keep Alonzo Coleman from Hampton as the special teams "ace" provided that he could fill that role. I would like to have someone with his skill set be able to be a return man as well as the gunner. Goodbye Killa Keith.

And Stanback will be given a shot at returning kicks also.

sago1

Reaction score
TT has great straight ahead speed but hasn't shown ability to make any moves nor improve his blitz blocking & he's entering 3rd year. If either Barber or Jones gets hurt, do we really want to rely on TT in the backfield. I would have liked to see us draft a RB early in the 2nd day but we didn't so we have to look at undrafted rookies or vet FAs. I've seen several clips of Battle but mostly they were short runs. Does he have breakaway speed or is he more of a Barber player?

hendog

Reaction score
sago1;1483341 said:
TT has great straight ahead speed but hasn't shown ability to make any moves nor improve his blitz blocking & he's entering 3rd year. If either Barber or Jones gets hurt, do we really want to rely on TT in the backfield. I would have liked to see us draft a RB early in the 2nd day but we didn't so we have to look at undrafted rookies or vet FAs. I've seen several clips of Battle but mostly they were short runs. Does he have breakaway speed or is he more of a Barber player?

I've not seen him play much but he did run a 4.43 -4.45 (I think) at his pro day. He may not play as fast as his timed speed but he seems to have a pretty good skill set.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
sago1;1483341 said:

Yes TT makes the team but this could be his last year.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Will be an interesting battle at the RB and FB spots this summer.

Phillips and Garrett are more of a power running style so it will be interesting.

Coleman and Battle are both strong big guys and Battle could play both positions.

Anderson is a true FB so I believe he becomes the starter with the backup FB spot going to Polite/Hoyte/Battle. Hoyte could easily move back to ILB so it wouldn't surprise me to see both Hoyte and Battle make it.

Looks to me as if Polite will be odd man out.

Coleman will battle Thompson for the last RB spot. Thompson may have an edge as a returner but Austin did a good job last year and if Stanback can return punts and kickoffs then I suspect that Coleman makes more of an impact because his speed is close to Thompson and Coleman has better wiggle and cutback ability. It will be a fight for the spot.

I do expect them to keep 5 at the RB/FB spot.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Or maybe he was overrated.

He's yet to step up and show he can be a dependable runner or receiver, nor has he learned how to elude would-be tacklers.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
stasheroo;1483309 said:
I would say it's better than 50-50 that Thompson doesn't return.

Seems to me that he was more of a Parcells project than a Cowboys project anyway.

And the team is apparently looking at alternatives, given that they recently worked out Trung Canidate.

Sometimes players ask clubs if they can work out, usually this is how it works, Trung probably wants to give the NFL another go and is trying to get in shape/find somewhere to stick

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
those are all good posts guys,

first, dont get to hyped up on battle, first, why did he fall after such a great pro day workout;

i have heard reports that he had some kind of finger injury and he didnt want to play till it was fully well, if thats true you cant do that as a rb, youve got to play if your able to run, but certainly run if its just a finger injury, then i have heard battle had some kind of character issues, not sure about that, but something caused him to fall after that super workout on pro day in houston;

he does run a 4.43 at about 6-2, 238, now thats a big back, bigger than tyson thompson

lets just see how well battle plays with little bumps and bruises in training camp

best thing that can happen for us, first dont give up on tyson thompson, our strength coach said he was gonna work on him to get a little more wiggle in him, if thats works, he will be good,

if not, you can always trade him, but you need 3 running backs in nfl, what if one of them got hurt again;

i read alittle on coleman, he runs a 40 anywhere from 4.36 to a 4.41, now thats fast, but some mags had him at 4.55 so which one is true im not sure

i say keep them all during training camp, then trade one of them, keep the other one, for trade later ; coleman seems a faster version of julius jones, just not as strong inside,

battle would be a good player if can play with small injuries, i have heard reports that wade phillips likes backs with wiggle like LT, but a little power like turner, so that seems to fit battle

between coleman, battle and thompson, you should be able to trade them during preseason, since we all know if we can, we are going to draft mcfadden. i would keep barber, he would be a good one two punch with mcfadden next year, and the 3rd back would be good backup,

i see Polite gone this year, and no trade for him either, he just doesnt make plays when he needs too, Hoyte should be your starting fullback, while anderson learns and helps out on special teams; if you look back on your history of fullbacks, none have ever come in first year and lit it up, takes a year to learn small steps, and to get stronger;

would appreciate if someone could give me a link with bio information on mcfadden; someone gave me a link with his videos of him, but i coudnt run it for some reason, but im already drooling to get mcfadden next year;

i know i know, brown have to have a poor year this year, but we can always trade up with our extra picks, then we would have our 2nd 1st round draft choice if need be to trade down recoop picks or trade up again and get another impact player, thats what i think this team is missing, impact player

a write wrote it down last week, what player scares teams, he said on defense it was only ware; on offense believe it or not, it was glenn when healthy, thats all the impact players he said we had,

so kinda like jerry said, we need some wow players, hopefully now, roy williams can move up in the box and be the wow player he was, and spencer can be just as good as ware, that will help newman to my mind is a all pro cb

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I've never been impressed with TT as a running back.

He kinda reminds me of a JV team, where they make the fastest kid the running back.

Sure TT has great straight ahead speed, but he doesn't seem to have much else; moves, vision, blocking ability, etc.

He's been a one trick pony here, as a kick returner, but as others have stated in this thread, if JJ or MBIII get hurt, I'd rather have to rely on a running back than just a fast guy.

BLT

Reaction score
speedkilz88;1483462 said:
Battle appears to be this years Demtris Summers.

yea i guess.. i already think Battle has a better chance at being on the team than Deon Anderson... I was pretty surprised Battle wasnt drafted... i think he might be our 3rd string RB and back up FB..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BLT;1483494 said:
yea i guess.. i already think Battle has a better chance at being on the team than Deon Anderson... I was pretty surprised Battle wasnt drafted... i think he might be our 3rd string RB and back up FB..

I agree. Battle would line up in the single back formation at UH and did very well. I see could see him as both a TB and FB. In the end it will come down to who shows the most in training camp and pre-season but I like Battle's chances.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score

Well, we know what Parcells said about him.

Parcells never seemed to trust Thompson's ability to recognize and execute his pass blocking assignments.

I also seem to remember Parcells saying something about Thompson having a learning disability or requiring some special instructional training methods to catch on to his responsibilities (like physically walking through his assignments instead of trying to learn them by looking at diagrams).

That fat playbook is full of diagrams.