CZ POLL Do you want Andy Dalton on the Cowboys in 2021?

Do you want Andy Dalton on the Cowboys in 2021?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
LKXJEvv.png

You mean there was a year that Zone members were good and got gifts from Santa instead of coals?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I voted yes, as he is a competent backup. Though I really wanted to say no.
I want the comp pick.
I think Gilbert can become a competent back up.

However that is a long way away, so hard to really answer.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
So you have zero faith in DeNucci and Gilbert? Neither one of them, selected by Jerry, is any good so let's have Jerry pick a couple more who aren't any good.

Yeah that'll improve the team...
I have the same amount of faith in them as I do with Dalton in helping the team win a Super Bowl, which is zero.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If Garrett Gilbert or The Nooch show more next summer, then bye Dalton.

Totally agree, I answered yes to keeping Dalton, since there were only yes and no answers on the original post, but no doubt things could change.
Though to me DeNucci looked far far from being NFL ready, I'd be very surprised if he ever developed into anything. Which is unlikely, if a quarterback doesn't get chances early most times he's out of the league soon, the NFL won't wait too long, show something or you're gone, a footnote in team history...

kskboys

Reaction score
Andy Dalton will likely want to start for another team next year. I'm hoping we'll settle for whomever looks better between Garrett Gilbert and the Nooch. Of course, some other candidate for a backup QB spot is also possible! We'll see about that in TC. May the best man win.
After a certain time in the NFL, it's not uncommon for a player to no longer be interested in starting. Matt Schaub, David Carr, Bernie Kosar, those are some who were content w/ being backups toward the end of their career. Not everyone has this great drive to win/play.

kskboys

Reaction score
So you have zero faith in DeNucci and Gilbert? Neither one of them, selected by Jerry, is any good so let's have Jerry pick a couple more who aren't any good.

Yeah that'll improve the team...
There is not a QB on this team, aside from possibly Dak, who has the skills to lead this team for any length of time. Our backup QB's are irrelevant and will continue to be until we understand what it takes to build a D. Because having a good D is what takes you through those times when your starter misses games.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
After a certain time in the NFL, it's not uncommon for a player to no longer be interested in starting. Matt Schaub, David Carr, Bernie Kosar, those are some who were content w/ being backups toward the end of their career. Not everyone has this great drive to win/play.

Depends on their career, Kosar has a SB ring - from the Cowboys in 1993. While he wasn't the starter all year, he did play a crucial role in winning some games when Aikman was out due to injury, so he actively contributed to the winning season. Carr was beat to death behind the Texans' woeful offensive line, he probably couldn't take that kind of pounding anymore on a consistent basis.

But you're right, some just I think realize they're just not that good, better to try to get a ring as a backup that endure the abuse that comes from losing in the NFL. Not sure if Dalton is at that point, maybe if he'd won a playoff game or two, but he got close to "success", and maybe he still has the desire to try for that....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There is not a QB on this team, aside from possibly Dak, who has the skills to lead this team for any length of time. Our backup QB's are irrelevant and will continue to be until we understand what it takes to build a D. Because having a good D is what takes you through those times when your starter misses games.

Most backup quarterbacks aren't there to lead the team for any length of time, as they just aren't that good. If they are, some team will take them and make them their starter in most cases.

A backup to me should be good for at most 4-6 games, after that it's unlikely they have the stuff necessary to play a long time. Foles is the perfect example, only had to start 3 regular season games and 3 playoff games. Got him a ring, so he's set regardless of how the rest of his career pans out...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

That's true, although, it remains to be seen if that's the case with Andy Dalton. This explains why I said we'll see if that's the case with Andy. If he pursues a contract with another team to start, we'll have a clue what his intentions are. If he's serious about being a starter, or not, is yet to be seen. Of course, the team he chooses to be tested with will have the last word on that. Reading his mind isn't something that's readily determined, in any event. Some QBs are content to be backups, while others are not.

Last edited:

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Gilbert is an unknown commodity, sorry but one game as sample size doesnt instill confidence if we had to use him for more then one game, its why the coaches went back to Dalton.. GG looked good but over a series of games, i doubt he would have been better then Dalton..just gut feeling we see backups come in and have that one great game all the time but then drop off a cliff ie back down to reality's..

GG should be brought back to compete but may end up the emergency 3rd guy..
Fair enough.

Still, hard to tell when he only gets one chance, and almost help beat the only undefeated team in the NFL. He still deserved and earned another start.

Let him compete against Dalton next year if they are both there, works for me.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fair enough.

Still, hard to tell when he only gets one chance, and almost help beat the only undefeated team in the NFL. He still deserved and earned another start.

Let him compete against Dalton next year if they are both there, works for me.
well in hindsight PB lost what 3 in row or is 4 since then, i mean Cinci with Finley beat them..so its wasn't as impressive as we thought..") i say Dalton does beat PB just having a Vet presence in game where things were going well..maybe we win..

jay94

Reaction score
I have the same amount of faith in them as I do with Dalton in helping the team win a Super Bowl, which is zero.

Isn't that pretty much every back up qb? Can we at least talk getting past the divisional first?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Andy Dalton will likely want to start for another team next year. I'm hoping we'll settle for whomever looks better between Garrett Gilbert and the Nooch. Of course, some other candidate for a backup QB spot is also possible! We'll see about that in TC. May the best man win.
he wants to start? nobody wants him. except maybe a team that's tanking.....

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Isn't that pretty much every back up qb? Can we at least talk getting past the divisional first?
Yes. Go cheap as possible on an unknown instead of throwing money at a proven loser. Season will probably be lost anyway, but at least the unknown may be a diamond in the rough.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This poll is one of several being created to show current fan opinions about Cowboys players returning for the 2021 season.

You can use whatever qualifiers you want in your posts, but the poll does not care about your qualifiers!

After ONE game its clear that Gilbert is better than Dalton. Gilbert at least has some upside and has some mobility.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Yep .

We need a good backup QB, even if we have a rookie QB at 1 .

We cant build a team around a player that wants 40 million per season.

Status
Not open for further replies.