Do you want Petitti starting at RT this season?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Why wouldn't we?

Oh I'm quite sure that some on here don't because they have this petty jealousy thing about his Dad being a member here, but for the life of me why wouldn't we want this?

If he ends up as the starter and does the job we could be set for 10 years or more. That isn't going to happen with any of our other options.

Him being our best option at RT and doing a good job is a win/win situation for the Cowboys.

A vote No doesn't make 1 lick of sense. Period.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Only if he is the best option.

If he isn't, to hell with him starting.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Nope... I want "the best guy" starting there. If that's Petitti, so be it, but I'm not gonna say that Petitti has to be our starter or I'm gonna be pissed.

That said, if Petitti is starting after camp, that means, he's obviously improving.... and he may end up being the answer there for years to come, which would be nice.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
Do you want Petitti starting at RT this season?
I wish there was a 'Yes & No' poll option. My vote was no. I want to see a proven starter start the season at right tackle. Someone who can be inserted into the lineup and immediately make the offensive line better because of his experience.

Petitti received a lot of on-the-job experience last season. That benefitted him. With Fabini as the starter, Petitti can learn more behind him and even replace him further down the line--after the offensive line is more stable and battle-tested. It could even happen later on this season.

I just think that the offensive line (and, consequently, the offense) will be better out the gate with a proven veteran at right tackle.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
What kind of question is this? I realize there is little football news out there right now, but come on, give us a break. Come up with something a little bit more interesting.

Pettiti is one of my favorite Cowboys. He played at my alma mater Pitt. He's an underdog 6th rd pick who started all 16 games last year. He works hard and gives it his all. Yeah, I hope he's the starter.

Has there ever been a Cowboy rookie OL to start and play in all 16 games? That's a more interesting question, IMO. How about how does Pettiti compare to other rookie OL last year? Or how did Pettiti's play compare to other rookie OL in past drafts? Pettiti sure did play better than Mike Williams. I haven't heard much from Oakland's Gallery.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
the question was do i want pettiti starting the answer from everyone should be hell ya, if he starts then we are probably set at rt for a long time.

over ANALilyzing the question is the only reason for a no vote.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with BP and he wants Petitti to start. Easy poll to answer.

Big D

Reaction score
Yes. Continuity is key in the learning process. He was doing an adequate job until Flo went down on the other side.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Actually, most all of you are overanalyzing the question.

I was just asking, based on what you have seen from Petitti in the past and how much you think he may have improved since, do you hope he is the starter.

Personally, I don't think he posseses the ability to ever be a great starter. JMO.
So if he starts, whether or not he is the best option currently on the team, I think it would be an indication of how poor our O-Line still is.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
ninja said:
What kind of question is this? I realize there is little football news out there right now, but come on, give us a break. Come up with something a little bit more interesting.

Pettiti is one of my favorite Cowboys. He played at my alma mater Pitt. He's an underdog 6th rd pick who started all 16 games last year. He works hard and gives it his all. Yeah, I hope he's the starter.

Has there ever been a Cowboy rookie OL to start and play in all 16 games? That's a more interesting question, IMO. How about how does Pettiti compare to other rookie OL last year? Or how did Pettiti's play compare to other rookie OL in past drafts? Pettiti sure did play better than Mike Williams. I haven't heard much from Oakland's Gallery.
Interesting enough for ytou to write 3 paragraphs in response to it.

kapolani

Reaction score
The kid has shown some moxy...

He has shown the 'fire in the gut' my instructors used to always talk about.

If he can get the job done, why the hell not?

From all indications he's been working hard in the offseason. This is when you have to put most of the effort in if you're going to be ready for an upcoming season.

From what I saw last season he was awful at times, but at times he also played pretty damn well for a kid who was thrown into the fire.

I'd say yeah...

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Nope... I want "the best guy" starting there. If that's Petitti, so be it, but I'm not gonna say that Petitti has to be our starter or I'm gonna be pissed.

That said, if Petitti is starting after camp, that means, he's obviously improving.... and he may end up being the answer there for years to come, which would be nice.

enough said... give me the best man at RT as well.:cool:

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Sure....why not?

If he can get the job done, I'd MUCH rather have a young guy at RT than a recycled guy like Fabini.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
This is more about whether or not you think Petitti is capable of being the guy or not based on your opinion of what you have seen of him.

You guys go out of your way to try and look smart and belittle the thread starter far too often.

Of course I didnt say, "Do you hope Petitti will be a Hall of Fame RT and the best O-Lineman Dallas has ever had?"

Gimme a break.

It's an opinion based on observation question.

lspain1

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
This is more about whether or not you think Petitti is capable of being the guy or not based on your opinion of what you have seen of him.

You guys go out of your way to try and look smart and belittle the thread starter far too often.

Of course I didnt say, "Do you hope Petitti will be a Hall of Fame RT and the best O-Lineman Dallas has ever had?"

Gimme a break.

It's an opinion based on observation question.

Quickdraw, no one on this board (with the possible exception of Rob's dad) has the first idea if Petitti is going to succeed or not. Everone does know that he was thrown into a bad situation that became much worse after Flo went down. But, even before Flo went down, there were problems and Rob wasn't quite ready for what happened to him.

Petitti exhibited the kind of mental toughness and an ability to play hurt that provide some hope if his skills improve. Virtually everyone on this board wants him to succeed even if theyt don't think he can be 'the guy.' We'll see, but your poll question is 'asking for' the kind of comments you have received.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Though it seems the vote is pretty clear that most believe that Petitti will be the guy.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
Actually, most all of you are overanalyzing the question.

I was just asking, based on what you have seen from Petitti in the past and how much you think he may have improved since, do you hope he is the starter.

Personally, I don't think he posseses the ability to ever be a great starter. JMO.
So if he starts, whether or not he is the best option currently on the team, I think it would be an indication of how poor our O-Line still is.

And that is what I based my answer on. I voted NO, based on last year only. And based on the signing of Fabini. But eventually I would like to see Rob take over at some point. Be it this later in the season, or next year. We need a young guy to anchor that position for the next 10 years. And Rob is our only option at this time. He needs to show his improved play, so I would like to see him get some playing time to show that. So we don't have to use a draft pick next year.

But for now, I'll go with a proven vet to start the season.

Same goes for FS, Davis or Coleman to start the season and Watkins to take over later in the season.