Does anyone on here actually expect anything out of Aldon Smith?

BigD_95

Reaction score
I keep seeing articles how he has not played since 2015. Ok,, that might be true but he has not been productive since 2012 or 2013. That is 7 or 8 years ago. Most players do not even have a 7 or 8 year career. Thinking this guy is going to help out is insane. This isn't anything more than wishful thinking.

On-top of all this, I keep reading about him turning his life around. I'm lost. His last arrest was less than a year ago. How anyone with his track record, you could consider a turned around life in less than a year is just laughable. Show me 2,3 or 4 years of being a straight then we can talk about his life being turned around. My guess he is still on probation. The state hasn't probably cleared him yet.

With all this said I do not have any issues with Dallas signing him and seeing if there is anything there.

I'm just talking about all the hype I see from people posting stuff on here that he is going to be a productive player. I have more faith in Gregory and I do not have a lot of faith in him also.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Expect "anything"? I expect something.

There's two ways to look at his time off from football. The less wear and tear may work in his favor. Or he could be rusty. But if the objective is for him to be a solid rotational piece.....I don't see how he can't offer up a few pressures a game. Expecting him to get 15 sacks would be nice but no I'm not expecting it.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I don't expect him to do much. I think anything we get from him is just gravy.

He's worth the gamble. I hope the coaches aren't banking on him or Gregory to produce for us. I would feel more comfortable if we drafted a DE early, or if we could sign a guy like Clowney (to a reasonable deal, of course).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't expect him to do much. I think anything we get from him is just gravy.

He's worth the gamble. I hope the coaches aren't banking on him or Gregory to produce for us. I would feel more comfortable if we drafted a DE early, or if we could sign a guy like Clowney (to a reasonable deal, of course).

'Clowney' and 'reasonable deal' do not go together.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I keep seeing articles how he has not played since 2015. Ok,, that might be true but he has not been productive since 2012 or 2013. That is 7 or 8 years ago. Most players do not even have a 7 or 8 year career. Thinking this guy is going to help out is insane. This isn't anything more than wishful thinking.

On-top of all this, I keep reading about him turning his life around. I'm lost. His last arrest was less than a year ago. How anyone with his track record, you could consider a turned around life in less than a year is just laughable. Show me 2,3 or 4 years of being a straight then we can talk about his life being turned around. My guess he is still on probation. The state hasn't probably cleared him yet.

With all this said I do not have any issues with Dallas signing him and seeing if there is anything there.

I'm just talking about all the hype I see from people posting stuff on here that he is going to be a productive player. I have more faith in Gregory and I do not have a lot of faith in him also.
I don't. its a low risk approach, and can be cut during preseason if he doesn't show he has anything....a flier and better than a no name college camp body with 0.01% chance of making the team.

so right now it seems we are taking the desperate approach to DE, with Smith, Gregory, Jackson, Crawford. we don't have an answer and seems like we are hoping one of them to step up, so depending on the feeling in the building, wouldn't surprise me for us to pick a DE in the first or second round....doesn't look like any of these guys are the answer.

the other option, which coaches maybe considering, is a move to 3-4, with Poe in the middle, McCoy at one DE and Lawrence at the other (although he is not a fit for a 3-4 DE) and then Smith and Gregory as potential OLBs, Jaylon and LVE in the middle, since both are better suited to being MLBs and for now a combination at the other OLB with Lee as the potential starter....this allows the best players to be on the field and some what take advantage of our personnel.

RS12

Reaction score
I don't expect anything. I would not be surprised if he made the roster though. Jerry loves bad boys, and he loves reclamation projects. If they got 4 sacks out of him and he made it through the season without incident I would call it a huge win. I will say at 287 pounds, theoretically he could be slid inside on passing downs with the FO claim that he offered position flex.

JayFord

Reaction score
I expect him to be solid

youre talking a once premier pass rusher who wouldve rivaled Khalil Mack had he not had off the field issues

those skills dont just go away but im not expecting 15 sacks im expecting spot duty and maybe 3 sacks while being solid against the run

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I'm clearly intrigued based on how he has looked in work outs that I have read about and curious if the passion to play is there. I think Smith has a lot to play for at this stage in his life but overall expectation I'm not sure what to expect, but look forward to seeing what he has to offer. I would also add I don’t think a new HC coming in and bringing Smith in, would do so if he had no faith in him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

expecting anything more than a look is probably asking too much?
just saying for at least the 10 time, and that is being realistic,, Aldon is worth a free look.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
He hasn't been re-instated yet, has he filed? Arrested how many times?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I expect little to nothing out of Smith if he’s reinstated. He hasn’t played since November 2015 and has only played 16 games in 6 1/2 years. Some here are still stuck on what he did his first two seasons in 2011 and 2012 years. There’s at least one dreamer on this board who’s convinced that’s the player we’re going to get. lol

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
i don't expect anything. i'd say it's 30/70 make team/doesn't make team. which is why this is no-risk and pays him basically nothing.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
i don't expect anything. i'd say it's 30/70 make team/doesn't make team. which is why this is no-risk and pays him basically nothing.

the hilarious part of this are the people who think this stops the Cowboys from doing anything else they want to. that the team's hopes and dreams rest with Aldon Smith. i was also told he's "a literal cancer" from someone who doesn't know what literal/literally mean (and someone also told me literal and literally don't mean the same thing.....can we talk about that instead?)

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I expect All-Pro. Head on straight now and hungry for money. And quite rested.
I expect 12 sacks if he can stay healthy for the year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not if your name is Mickey Spagnola. Otherwise, hell yes I expect a great deal out of Aldon Smith.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who cares what we as fans think. It is what the teams thinks.
And they must think he has a good chance to contribute to sign him. It is a low risk high reward chance.

superonyx

Reaction score

Yes.
I do expect something out of him.
This obviously bother you for some reason. Oh no...a guy you don't know on the internet may think something different than you think. Hurry up and fight with me over it.