Does anyone wish we drafted Leftwich??

neosapien23

Reaction score
Just curious how you guys feel after watching that game. Would you be willing to give up Terence Newman to have Byron Leftwich. His mechanics are a little off, but he doesn't make bad throws. He looks like he will have a break out year and Matt Jones looked great out there. BP needs to stop neglecting the offense in the draft. Not taking anything away from Newman, but like the saying goes, "you don't pass on a franchise QB unless you got one."

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Newman should be a Pro Bowler, he's near the top of his position, Leftwich is neither, so no

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Nah' not really. I feel we have sumthing special in Newman. you can also add that we have Romo as possibly a very good option @ our franchise QB, so Leftwich is not sumthing we should shoot ourselves about.

btw, personally I dislike the guy. i dunno, reminds me of culpepper, maybe its da size? haha

neosapien23

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

Shouldn't Leftwich be given a three year rule to prove himself. He was 7-2 last year as a starter before he got hurt. I think he is a good QB that is really underrated by the media. He is a team leader and plays with alot of grit and toughness.

It seems that everytime he is about to have a good season, he gets hurt. Hopfully he stays healthy so we can see just how good he is.

Last year he started 11 games. Threw for 15 TDs and only 5 ints. His QB rating was a 89.3. That sounds like a frachise QB to me. I best most members would be doing cartweels in their living room if Bledsoe could put up those numbers.

Hiero

Reaction score
personally I was a huge fan of leftwich back then and was really upset we didnt take him. I have to say I still do wish we had taken him, although Newman was still a great pick.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I wanted Leftwich at the time. Luckily, we landed a franchise player in Newman.

Leftwich hasn't progressed into quite the player I expected, so I'm hesitant to say I'd take him over Newman today. But he seems to be on the right track, at the least. He's a leader, got a gun, and has fun while playing. I would be interested to know where we'd be sitting in right now if we had him.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Dale said:
I wanted Leftwich at the time. Luckily, we landed a franchise player in Newman.

Leftwich hasn't progressed into quite the player I expected, so I'm hesitant to say I'd take him over Newman today. But he seems to be on the right track, at the least. He's a leader, got a gun, and has fun while playing. I would be interested to know where we'd be sitting in right now if we had him.

Look at his stats from last year. I bet you would be quite surprised. I edited an earlier post to show them.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Look at his stats from last year. I bet you would be quite surprised. I edited an earlier post to show them.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't realize he had such a great TD-to-INT ratio. I guess missing so many games skews your opinion of a quarterback. On the one hand, he doesn't amass the "big" numbers associated with starting 16 games. On the other hand, playing in those games he missed could have had a positive or negative impact statistically.

Definitely a good player, though.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Dale said:
Yeah, you're right. I didn't realize he had such a great TD-to-INT ratio. I guess missing so many games skews your opinion of a quarterback. On the one hand, he doesn't amass the "big" numbers associated with starting 16 games. On the other hand, playing in those games he missed could have had a positive or negative impact statistically.

Definitely a good player, though.

I know people will say Newman is a pro bowl CB, but he has never gotten more than 4 int. Last year he had 3 and could have had more if he hadn't dropped a few. Leftwich was having a great season last year. If he would have stayed healthy and simulating the last games based on his performance at that time:

21.8 TDs and 7.27 int. That would have been a pretty solid season. Nothing flashy but extremely effecient.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Shouldn't Leftwich be given a three year rule to prove himself. He was 7-2 last year as a starter before he got hurt. I think he is a good QB that is really underrated by the media. He is a team leader and plays with alot of grit and toughness.

It seems that everytime he is about to have a good season, he gets hurt. Hopfully he stays healthy so we can see just how good he is.

Last year he started 11 games. Threw for 15 TDs and only 5 ints. His QB rating was a 89.3. That sounds like a frachise QB to me. I best most members would be doing cartweels in their living room is Bledsoe could put up those numbers.

One reason alot of people would say we don't need him is cause of Romo, course Romo has absolutely no regular season experience. I wouldn't me upset with either, course I'm not that big of Newman fan. Both are and will be good players in this league.

Flip a coin.

jbsg02

Reaction score
we'll answer after we get a chance too see Romo. (hopefully sooner than later)

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
No way.

Leftwich is overrated.

I'm not hating.

He played very well today, especially when it counted.
But he has been pretty overrated IMO since he joined the NFL.

The JAGS live by their defense.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
No way.

Leftwich is overrated.

I'm not hating.

He played very well today, especially when it counted.
But he has been pretty overrated IMO since he joined the NFL.

The JAGS live by their defense.

And didn't we find out the hard way

Chuck 54

Reaction score
duh...it has nothing to do with Newman...he's a good one, but you don't win because you have a good CB...you have to have a QB, and we would be set had we taken Leftwich, so yes, I do, and I have for a long time.

That said, we'd have gotten him killed by now with our line in the years since he was drafted.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
I distinctly remember the majority on the old board pulling for Newman or T Suggs in that draft.

I was pretty much alone in my desire to draft Leftwich.

Just as I was pretty much alone to draft Santonio Holmes or move up to aquire Leinhart or Cutler, and probably alone next year when I want Ted Ginn Jr.

I vant to be alone.
greta-garbo.jpg

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
they play the Steelers next Monday night I think...that defense will eat Leftwich and that Jags offense alive...there wont be any streaks of 10 completions in a row or 20+ drop backs in a row without being bothered...he's gonna get hit

he has been rather average since he's been in the league, and I saw nothing yesterday to make me think he is anything other than average now...if he were here playing behind our OL he'd be called a mammoth bust

David

cowboyed

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Just curious how you guys feel after watching that game. Would you be willing to give up Terence Newman to have Byron Leftwich. His mechanics are a little off, but he doesn't make bad throws. He looks like he will have a break out year and Matt Jones looked great out there. BP needs to stop neglecting the offense in the draft. Not taking anything away from Newman, but like the saying goes, "you don't pass on a franchise QB unless you got one."

Living here in Jacksonville I will make you aware there is a bit of a quarterback controversy. As Bledsoe, Leftwich does well if you provide him above average protection. The backup quarterback Garrard who has been playing here half a decade is more athletic than Leftwich. Many if not most Jaguar fans would like to see Garrard start.

I was fortunate enough to get free club seats to this game. It was like a gift of a lifetime to me and would have been that much sweeter had the Boys won. This game was very exasperating to watch. In the first quarter we looked like world beaters and the Jaguars looked like chumps. Then we imploded and then the Jaguars started blowing us up even more.

Thorughout most of the game they were getting first downs at will. The Jaguars receivers had their way with our secondary more often than not. With ample protection Leftwich angled his passes to the receivers all day long.