Does Dak really care about the Super Bowl when he negotiates for every penny?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
BS, guys over late in their career take lower because that is all teams are willing to pay. 1st time in FA player go after big money and QB is the highest paid. Dak is no different. If you don't like him fine, but what is asked for is within the market value of QB and others will soon pass him as they too hit FA. This crap is laughable.
You may disagree, but it’s not laughable at all.

Thinking Dak might give Dallas a home team discount because of the circumstances mentioned is extremely plausible. Dak wanted EVERY penny! Of course winning is important to Dak, but getting every penny was more important!
Dak’s actions spoke louder than his words!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
How many quarterbacks have "negotiated for every penny"?

Many of them - Brees, Rodgers, P. Manning, etc. They refused to sign until they were somehow the highest paid quarterback - be it average per year, total contract size, signing bonus or guaranteed money (Dak's case).

Now did that cause their teams to not win SBs? That's probably happened, just saying that did Brees, etc. not care about winning SB? Brees and Rodgers both had one ring, they know that that doesn't put them in the top echelon of NFL quarterbacks among many NFL followers, by itself doesn't get them in the HOF, either. Just ask Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, et al. Heck Plunkett has two rings, and he's not in the HOF!

It's not an either/or thing, no guarantee that if Dak took $35 mil it'd mean a SB win. And someone mentioned that if he did, the Cowboys could have signed Wright. Would signing Wright made the defense top-10? No, too many needs on defense.

Don't know about everybody else, but when I negotiated my latest job pay, I asked for what I felt I was worth, it definitely caused a strain on the company's finances, but that doesn't mean I'm not working hard to make the company very successful. My taking lesser pay was also no guarantee of company success, like Dak I have little or no control over other facets of the company. If Jerry screws up the draft, or screws up free agent signings, then what good did it do Dak to take a few less million per year? Nothing. It's all supposition, the future isn't known.

I wish Dak had taken less, sure. But I can't see inside the man's head, maybe in his mind he feels taking more money will make Jerry watch free agency closer since he has less money. Maybe his agent sold him a line of bull and convinced him the $40 mil is no big deal.

Maybe Dak thinks a lot of things, we cannot know how committed he is to winning SBs....
Look at his actions.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
all true but in the end all players understand they get 1 big shot at FA in what is a short career (in comparison to other professions) they have to strike when they get the chance. As a player gets older if he is able to hit FA once again it is normally much less a percentage than he had in his 1st go round in the FA market.
Dak will get another pay day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You may disagree, but it’s not laughable at all.

Thinking Dak might give Dallas a home team discount because of the circumstances mentioned is extremely plausible. Dak wanted EVERY penny! Of course winning is important to Dak, but getting every penny was more important!
Dak’s actions spoke louder than his words!

And Dallas could have done this contract 2 seasons ago and got off cheaper but they didn't. DLaw got his money making him the highest paid DE in the league when he signed, Tyron Smith highest paid at the time he hit FA I guess you could say they could have given a so called team friendly deal. Fact is players look to be paid be it in Dallas or any of the other 32 teams. If you can't to say they are overpaid, I would agree with you but greedy? I think Dak like any player in the NFL looked after his self interest as all players do. The game does not last forever and they have to strike when the iron is hot.

kskboys

Reaction score
And Dallas could have done this contract 2 seasons ago and got off cheaper but they didn't. DLaw got his money making him the highest paid DE in the league when he signed, Tyron Smith highest paid at the time he hit FA I guess you could say they could have given a so called team friendly deal. Fact is players look to be paid be it in Dallas or any of the other 32 teams. If you can't to say they are overpaid, I would agree with you but greedy? I think Dak like any player in the NFL looked after his self interest as all players do. The game does not last forever and they have to strike when the iron is hot.
Two years ago, Cowboys made a very significant offer, and Dak refused. What would you have them do, hold a gun to his head?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Two years ago, Cowboys made a very significant offer, and Dak refused. What would you have them do, hold a gun to his head?

He ended up with a 4 year deal this time and wanted 4 years then, only thing that changed was Cowboys willing to do 4 years 2 years too late.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And Andy still made enough to retire on just last year.

Andy like others were paid top money in his 1st FA. Players look to get paid, period. Dak is no more greedy than any player in major league sports. You get 1 big shot and you are a fool to pass it up. For a fan it is easy for players this is the 1 big chance to cash in. Dak never whined or complained as one of the lowest paid QB, he did not balk at being tagged. Like it or not Dak is no different than any player in the league so whining about how he does not want to win or he is greedy is a load of BS

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Andy like others were paid top money in his 1st FA. Players look to get paid, period. Dak is no more greedy than any player in major league sports. You get 1 big shot and you are a fool to pass it up. For a fan it is easy for players this is the 1 big chance to cash in. Dak never whined or complained as one of the lowest paid QB, he did not balk at being tagged. Like it or not Dak is no different than any player in the league so whining about how he does not want to win or he is greedy is a load of BS
He did not balk about being tagged! Why would he? He made 28 million for a 1 year contract.

No one is whining just making an obvious observation that Dak took every penny when he easily could have given us, at least a little bit of of a home team discount.

Also, again no one said he does not want to win. Of course he wants to win, but when your contract takes a huge chunk of the salary CAP, it effects your teams ability to sign free agents and Dak knows this!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Says the guy who won't quit whining.