Does Dak really care about the Super Bowl when he negotiates for every penny?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Over paying players effects our ability to sign Free Agents. I want this team to win a Super Bowl. When you over pay Dak, Zek, and Jaylon it makes it much more difficult to sign quality free agents, that can help us win a Super Bowl!!!!!!!

I would not expect you to understand this.
What about the salary cap that’s going to skyrocket up next year because of the new TV contracts?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not true. Many many players play for a nice salary w/o fighting over every last penny.

BS, guys over late in their career take lower because that is all teams are willing to pay. 1st time in FA player go after big money and QB is the highest paid. Dak is no different. If you don't like him fine, but what is asked for is within the market value of QB and others will soon pass him as they too hit FA. This crap is laughable.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
How many quarterbacks have "negotiated for every penny"?

Many of them - Brees, Rodgers, P. Manning, etc. They refused to sign until they were somehow the highest paid quarterback - be it average per year, total contract size, signing bonus or guaranteed money (Dak's case).

Now did that cause their teams to not win SBs? That's probably happened, just saying that did Brees, etc. not care about winning SB? Brees and Rodgers both had one ring, they know that that doesn't put them in the top echelon of NFL quarterbacks among many NFL followers, by itself doesn't get them in the HOF, either. Just ask Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, et al. Heck Plunkett has two rings, and he's not in the HOF!

It's not an either/or thing, no guarantee that if Dak took $35 mil it'd mean a SB win. And someone mentioned that if he did, the Cowboys could have signed Wright. Would signing Wright made the defense top-10? No, too many needs on defense.

Don't know about everybody else, but when I negotiated my latest job pay, I asked for what I felt I was worth, it definitely caused a strain on the company's finances, but that doesn't mean I'm not working hard to make the company very successful. My taking lesser pay was also no guarantee of company success, like Dak I have little or no control over other facets of the company. If Jerry screws up the draft, or screws up free agent signings, then what good did it do Dak to take a few less million per year? Nothing. It's all supposition, the future isn't known.

I wish Dak had taken less, sure. But I can't see inside the man's head, maybe in his mind he feels taking more money will make Jerry watch free agency closer since he has less money. Maybe his agent sold him a line of bull and convinced him the $40 mil is no big deal.

Maybe Dak thinks a lot of things, we cannot know how committed he is to winning SBs....

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Many of them - Brees, Rodgers, P. Manning, etc. They refused to sign until they were somehow the highest paid quarterback - be it average per year, total contract size, signing bonus or guaranteed money (Dak's case).

Now did that cause their teams to not win SBs? That's probably happened, just saying that did Brees, etc. not care about winning SB? Brees and Rodgers both had one ring, they know that that doesn't put them in the top echelon of NFL quarterbacks among many NFL followers, by itself doesn't get them in the HOF, either. Just ask Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, et al. Heck Plunkett has two rings, and he's not in the HOF!

It's not an either/or thing, no guarantee that if Dak took $35 mil it'd mean a SB win. And someone mentioned that if he did, the Cowboys could have signed Wright. Would signing Wright made the defense top-10? No, too many needs on defense.

Don't know about everybody else, but when I negotiated my latest job pay, I asked for what I felt I was worth, it definitely caused a strain on the company's finances, but that doesn't mean I'm not working hard to make the company very successful. My taking lesser pay was also no guarantee of company success, like Dak I have little or no control over other facets of the company. If Jerry screws up the draft, or screws up free agent signings, then what good did it do Dak to take a few less million per year? Nothing. It's all supposition, the future isn't known.

I wish Dak had taken less, sure. But I can't see inside the man's head, maybe in his mind he feels taking more money will make Jerry watch free agency closer since he has less money. Maybe his agent sold him a line of bull and convinced him the $40 mil is no big deal.

Maybe Dak thinks a lot of things, we cannot know how committed he is to winning SBs....

all true but in the end all players understand they get 1 big shot at FA in what is a short career (in comparison to other professions) they have to strike when they get the chance. As a player gets older if he is able to hit FA once again it is normally much less a percentage than he had in his 1st go round in the FA market.

kskboys

Reaction score
all true but in the end all players understand they get 1 big shot at FA in what is a short career (in comparison to other professions) they have to strike when they get the chance. As a player gets older if he is able to hit FA once again it is normally much less a percentage than he had in his 1st go round in the FA market.
QB's generally get more than one. They often get more like 3-4. Most are very rich men by the end of their 2nd contract.

kskboys

Reaction score

That is one huge stretch trying to make excuses for Dak's pure greediness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
BS, guys over late in their career take lower because that is all teams are willing to pay. 1st time in FA player go after big money and QB is the highest paid. Dak is no different. If you don't like him fine, but what is asked for is within the market value of QB and others will soon pass him as they too hit FA. This crap is laughable.
Your little insult there at the end makes you out to be even more laughable. You ever thought about leaving out the grade school stuff so we can have a convo?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That is one huge stretch trying to make excuses for Dak's pure greediness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One man's greediness is another man's worth...

The salient point I was making is that we can't know if Dak is truly dedicated to winning or not. That's in his head, which we cannot access. Just because he asked for top dollar isn't proof he is only interested in money.

And before anybody drags up Brady, Dak doesn't have a wife that makes $45 million dollars a year...

kskboys

Reaction score
One man's greediness is another man's worth...

The salient point I was making is that we can't know if Dak is truly dedicated to winning or not. That's in his head, which we cannot access. Just because he asked for top dollar isn't proof he is only interested in money.

And before anybody drags up Brady, Dak doesn't have a wife that makes $45 million dollars a year...
It is, though. Unless he's just really dumb, there's a ton of proof out there that huge contracts kill your contention. Made both Brees and Rodgers into .500 QB's for several years.

Basically, paying Dak/Jaylon/DLaw/EZ pretty much assures us that we won't be a team that advances in the playoffs. Unless of course we draft wisely and fill the roster w/ some DL's and S's. That is the only way out w/ all these huge contracts.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It is, though. Unless he's just really dumb, there's a ton of proof out there that huge contracts kill your contention. Made both Brees and Rodgers into .500 QB's for several years.

Basically, paying Dak/Jaylon/DLaw/EZ pretty much assures us that we won't be a team that advances in the playoffs. Unless of course we draft wisely and fill the roster w/ some DL's and S's. That is the only way out w/ all these huge contracts.

So he's just like Brees and Rodgers. Didn't hear anybody call them "greedy". And as far as Brees is concerned, most everybody around here where I live (Louisiana) had no
criticism of his getting top dollar. Yes Brees had won a SB before that, but that has nothing to do with paying him so much the Saints could not afford supporting players.

kskboys

Reaction score
So he's just like Brees and Rodgers. Didn't hear anybody call them "greedy". And as far as Brees is concerned, most everybody around here where I live (Louisiana) had no
criticism of his getting top dollar. Yes Brees had won a SB before that, but that has nothing to do with paying him so much the Saints could not afford supporting players.
Man, you must not have been listening!!!! It was talked about a ton. And led to 3-4 years of .500 ball.

So, you're ok w/ us being .500 for 3-4 years?

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Greediness? look around all of sports players are paid damn well if you don't like it then it really is your problem. Dak is no different, he got his shot at FA and took it as all do. Get over it or don't I really do not care.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You live in Louisiana?
I do. Have my whole life. And I cannot walk neither north, south, east nor west anywhere without running into a Saints fan lol. New Orleans fans talked about Brees' contract but 'not a ton' and not overly positively or negatively in my opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
Greediness? look around all of sports players are paid damn well if you don't like it then it really is your problem. Dak is no different, he got his shot at FA and took it as all do. Get over it or don't I really do not care.
Are you like 12 or something?

I want Dak to be paid well. How in the world did you get there from here?

kskboys

Reaction score
I do. Have my whole life. And I cannot walk neither north, south, east nor west anywhere without running into a Saints fan lol. New Orleans fans talked about Brees' contract but 'not a ton' and not overly positively or negatively in my opinion.
Guess it was talked about everywhere except NO!!!!!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guess it was talked about everywhere except NO!!!!!!!
0zKaqQI.gif

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Are you like 12 or something?

I want Dak to be paid well. How in the world did you get there from here?

But he is greedy? lol He is getting in the market of Deshaun Watson. Next round of FA will see more than Dak and so on. Granted with the bigger pay come greater responsibility and greater scrutiny. I never blamed the Cowboys 2 years ago when a deal could have been done cheaper and I will not blame Dak or childishly call him greedy because he got what the market value was now. 2 years ago we likely are talking just under 35 mill which today seems acceptable to many.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

I do have to say I don't pay a lot of attention to the Saints, though by osmosis I can't avoid hearing about them. From what I remember I didn't hear much if anything negative about Brees' contract, which is what I originally said, just my personal recollection, there may have been a lot of criticism of the contract but I didn't hear it....