Does Dalton do anything better than Dak?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Some guys are technically good, and other's are gamers. Dak is a gamer, they just have to work on getting him off to a fast start. Technically, Dalton is probably better, but in games, meh. Right now is the time for Dak to sit back, watch, and pick up a few things that he's never had the opportunity to pick up since he's always played. If Dalton kicks butt, then we have a good problem on deck with two great QBs. Trade bait for either.

Correct...that is one thing with Dak, he needed to sit for a year or two, now he has to for this year...watch and learn, root for his team.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Your Prescott to Elliott handoffs make me laugh. If you were a former NFL coach or QB that said that I would tend to put more stock in that, but a fan wanting to sound like he is a coach, not so much.
and you make ME laugh, as if watching qb to running back handoffs occur probably a few hundred thousand times over almost 50 years accounts for nothing. You post with no conception. Perhaps I did play, perhaps I did coach, how the fug would you know?
I am not trying to sound like anything. But I think you came upon someone saying something you couldnt really defend so your anger begins bubbling up.
You sound like a condescending Dak slobberer who gets triggered at even the perception of a slight upon your boy. Thats what YOU sound like.
Dick.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don't think picks are a measure of accuracy, they are a measure of decision making, pressure and reading a defense as well as taking chances. We know that Dak is not normally a chance taker and that is the main reason he has low number of picks.

What you said for reasons for picks is true but so is accuracy. If anything Prescott sometimes wants to see college type open receivers when NFL open receivers are a lot tighter so if a QB isn't that accurate he very well could be throwing picks. We saw receivers having to drive into the turf or Gallup's great athletic circus catches that shows what accuracy Dalton has. We saw Prescott throw a pass right on target in stride to Gallop that got call for offensive PI. Dalton's passes weren't like that.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
What you said for reasons for picks is true but so is accuracy. If anything Prescott sometimes wants to see college type open receivers when NFL open receivers are a lot tighter so if a QB isn't that accurate he very well could be throwing picks. We saw receivers having to drive into the turf or Gallup's great athletic circus catches that shows what accuracy Dalton has. We saw Prescott throw a pass right on target in stride to Gallop that got call for offensive PI. Dalton's passes weren't like that.

You are so right, man. When I watched Dak pass the rock...it was on point every time, uncanny how he was able to do that.

He never was off target...every pass, perfect. Seriously, I'm really being serious....really I am! Not once did I see one of the receivers need to make an adjustment...no circus catches...that is what I call amazing.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That's right, and I find it totally ignorant when people try and compare a player on one team to that player on a different team. Now tell me, would Dak have taken the Bengals to 5 playoff games? How about if Dalton was here for the time Dak has been here would he have taken the Cowboys to 3 playoff games? How many would Dak have won with Bengals and how many Dalton won if he were to have been in Dallas.

Why people feel the need to try and do a comparison like this is ignorant, lazy and totally irrational.

It's done because that's the only way of comparing QB's. It's been down by most including those in the sporting world, former players and coaches since the NFL started. For over a decade QB's have been compared to Brady and then Rodgers and Brees and now Mahomes. Because you don't like the comparison doesn't not make it lazy, ignorant or totally irrational when people far more qualified than you or me do it all the time.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Thats not an easy question at all. Both those matter, but I don't think either is an end all be all. Interceptions I think more often than not are the results of bad decisions more so than poor accuracy.

Completion percentage certainly factors in, but gives a small snapshot in the grand scheme. Dak throws an extremely catchable ball a high percentage of the time. Often times high, low, behind, etc but is still within the catch radius of his receivers.

Where he struggles is with that brady/rogers type of accuracy where on 10 passes 8 of those are right on target, in the chest, hitting a receiver in stride. And that is no knock on dak, very few qbs are that. Hes just a different style qb, but its also a reaon I think him and Cooper have had success. Their games really compliment each other.

Dalton I think has that higher accuracy level to him, but the downside is he makes poor throws into coverage. Dak throughout his career has been much better protecting the football.

In other words yopu are basing Dalton being more accurate on what it appears and not what stats show. If in real life Dalton was more accurate than Prescott he wouldn't have been gotten for only 3 mil when there are teams that went out and got different QB's this past season and he wasn't one of them. Do you think if the bengals were happy and sold on his accuracy that they would just fired him for a QB that hadn't thrown a single pass in the NFL? A QB on a rookie contract that wasn't going to cripple the begals.

Proof

Reaction score
So Hulk Hogan should always beat Michael Jordan at basketball?
What on earth are you talking about. Dak is athletic. Dalton is (was) quicker, Dak is stronger. Both athletic.

But no, to answer your ridiculously out of scope, rudimentary comparison, no no wrestler no matter how strong should ever beat the greatest basketball player ever in his domain.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Film will show you accuracy vs completion percentage. If your receiver has to turn / slow down / catch difficulty etc. The incompletions, we'll just have to watch and find out. I'm hoping it was just the Bengals dysfunction, but you could be right and that could be all Dalton. One thing is for sure, that if he fails with this setup then maybe backup is where he belongs.

All those things would point to incompletions but does not change whether the ball was caught or not. If a receiver has to do all those things then the QB isn't that accurate.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I believe he's more accurate and maybe can go through progressions quicker. He's also more mobile than given credit for. I dont know though. I dont know how far off he is from his peak, or how much was playing on a bad team. Of course I'd rather have Dak, but this should be entertaining at least.
I’d rather be a little less accurate and a little more Power throwing the football . I’ve already seen and floated to many times against the Giants. That’s nice for deep ball it’s not great for the outside passing game

Reactions: CWR

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
It's done because that's the only way of comparing QB's. It's been down by most including those in the sporting world, former players and coaches since the NFL started. For over a decade QB's have been compared to Brady and then Rodgers and Brees and now Mahomes. Because you don't like the comparison doesn't not make it lazy, ignorant or totally irrational when people far more qualified than you or me do it all the time.

No...it's not. What you are referring to is entertainment...a game, who's pecker is bigger than the other's pecker. There are too many variables that go into evaluation of something that cannot be evaluated by you or me, or anyone else.

Different times, different players, different teams, different weather, different coaches, different fans, different towns? Variables.

However, I can now understand that you are what I call a "right fighter"...you just have to be right all the time, not see the forest because of a tree.

One other thing...what does "gikoeppen" mean?

wecasa

Reaction score
He and the rest of the offense will have to play mistake free football. No turnovers. With this porous defense, they can't rely on them to stop opponents and hold them under 40. Pete sake. Hoping your defense keeps them under 40. Never thought I'd say those words.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
and you make ME laugh, as if watching qb to running back handoffs occur probably a few hundred thousand times over almost 50 years accounts for nothing. You post with no conception. Perhaps I did play, perhaps I did coach, how the fug would you know?
I am not trying to sound like anything. But I think you came upon someone saying something you couldnt really defend so your anger begins bubbling up.
You sound like a condescending Dak slobberer who gets triggered at even the perception of a slight upon your boy. Thats what YOU sound like.
Dick.

So now attacking me explains away you trying to play wannabe coach. Ya that works so well. BTW I started playing very young and played through 1 year of college.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All those things would point to incompletions but does not change whether the ball was caught or not. If a receiver has to do all those things then the QB isn't that accurate.
Accuracy or arm strength. They both have their dilemmas. I’ll take a little Less accuracy over a week outside through

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I believe he's more accurate and maybe can go through progressions quicker. He's also more mobile than given credit for. I dont know though. I dont know how far off he is from his peak, or how much was playing on a bad team. Of course I'd rather have Dak, but this should be entertaining at least.

He throws a better looking ball, but he's not more accurate. 4% completion percentage over the course of their careers is quite a bit.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just laugh at people that say Dalton is more accurate. Dalton has years of 14, 16, 17 and 20 picks and that's more accurate. Prescott's worst season is 11 and his best is 4. Prescott's completion percentage of passes of 20 and 40 yards is higher than Dalton and oh BTW last season until week 15 Prescott led the entire NFL for those, something Dalton never did. So just WHEN has Dalton been more accurate. Was in during his 5 winless tries in the playoffs?
Well, now that they have the same players and coaches, we can get a better comparison.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No...it's not. What you are referring to is entertainment...a game, who's pecker is bigger than the other's pecker. There are too many variables that go into evaluation of something that cannot be evaluated by you or me, or anyone else.

Different times, different players, different teams, different weather, different coaches, different fans, different towns? Variables.

However, I can now understand that you are what I call a "right fighter"...you just have to be right all the time, not see the forest because of a tree.

One other thing...what does "gikoeppen" mean?

So all the sportswriters and former coaches and players that compare QB's are just comparing their manhood? Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees, you fit that perfectly.

I know thinking of simple things is really tough for you. I've4 had users ask me if my first name is Gary or George or Gregg so that should give you a hint what my user name is, well maybe not it could be to simple.