Does Dalton do anything better than Dak?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
attacking? dude when someone begins a post with "you make me laugh" THAT is the first attack. You could have made your point in a civil way but it was condescending and sarcastic and rude. You threw the first stone unprovoked
This is you:
tenor.gif

Oh so now being truthful is wrong. Maybe it's just you.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Probably more accurate on the short throws, quicker release. Probably can read the defense a little better presnap bc he has twice the experience.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
As far as basic stats go, yes. This is when some of the advanced analytics could probably come into play. I do think dalton may be a more accurate passer, but that is just one piece of being a QB.

As far as him and the bengals go it was clearly time to move on. Dalton wanted to be a starter, didn't get the opportunity so he went back home. They had the #1 pick and it was clear they were going QB. A rebuilding team with a 32 year old qb doesn't make much sense at this point. Truth is lots of qbs move on, doesn't necessarily mean they are good or bad. We saw several vet qbs switch teams this past offseason, with varying levels of success. I dont think its fair at all to judge Dalton just because the bengals didn't want him. Look at the state of that team, there are plenty of good players they didn't want.

There are a lot of teams that draft a QB to sit and learn for at least a year. Drafting a QB even high picks doesn't mean the previous starter is doomed that season. Look at what the packers did this year 1st pick Love. When a team just fires their starter without even considering having any kind of competition tells a lot about what they still think of that QB. Just how many of the vet QB's that were starters last season switched teams for 3 mil? Would a QB that was so accurate be gotten for a poultry 3 mil? You are right that accuracy is part of being a QB and Dalton twice led QB's in fumbles for a season and what did he do right off the bat, fumble. If you want to think Dalton is so accurate knock your socks off but the numbers don't back that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What are his strenghts that can be played to? West Coast stuff?

Yep. I'd say West Coast stuff. While Dak's mid to deep accuracy has improved a lot, he's relatively weak on his short accuracy. He doesn't place the ball well to let the receiver continue in stride.

Looking at Dalton's highlites from last year (which admittedly are a sample biased toward his good plays), what jumped out at me was how quickly he'd get the ball out of his hands. Very decisive.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dalton gets rid of the ball sooner, so not as much need to scramble around.

Helpful with our oline down Tyron, Collins, and Looney.

Knight, Steele, Biadasz, Williams. Starters. Think about how you would have felt about that oline before the season started. That's looks mediocre to disastrous.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Wouldnt it be totally odd if with Dalton our offense is ranked 8th, but our defense were to somehow improve.

Excluding the injury to Hill, the defense should have been *expected* to improve. New defensive scheme, some key injuries. They're ramping up on the defense, and getting a lot of our quality players back. LVE, Lee, Awuzie, Gregory.

With Hill out, the DT rotation got a lot worse, particularly for pass rush. It looks bad. It may hold down the entire defense regardless of significant improvement in other areas.

J817

Reaction score
Dalton is actually super young in QB age. Russell is 31, Rogers is 36-37 and you know how old Brees and Brady are.

Age isn’t a factor here. But can he play? We will see

Andy is 32. Being 32 is not even super young in regular people years.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Excluding the injury to Hill, the defense should have been *expected* to improve. New defensive scheme, some key injuries. They're ramping up on the defense, and getting a lot of our quality players back. LVE, Lee, Awuzie, Gregory.

With Hill out, the DT rotation got a lot worse, particularly for pass rush. It looks bad. It may hold down the entire defense regardless of significant improvement in other areas.

I don't think there's an NFL caliber DT left on the roster.

Woods might be a rotational 4th tackle for some teams, and that's it. Poe and Crawford are done. Gallimore plays with what Marcus Mosher dubbed "negative leverage."

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't think there's an NFL caliber DT left on the roster.

Woods might be a rotational 4th tackle for some teams, and that's it. Poe and Crawford are done. Gallimore plays with what Marcus Mosher dubbed "negative leverage."

About how I see it.

I'm sure some other teams have some clunkers in their DT rotation too, but we've got nothing but.

I thought I saw some signs of life from Crawford. Maybe he can improve and sign somewhere next year and get us more than a 7th round comp pick.

Proof

Reaction score
In what world

Strength and athleticism have very little to do with each other

This world? Earth, reality, etc. apologies if that’s not the world you’re from.

ath·let·i·cism
/aTHˈledəsizəm/

noun
  1. the physical qualities that are characteristic of athletes, such as strength, fitness, and agility.

are literal definitions acceptable? Is the fact the bench press is a part of the combine (where they measure athletic ability) a safe example?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
That's right, and I find it totally ignorant when people try and compare a player on one team to that player on a different team. Now tell me, would Dak have taken the Bengals to 5 playoff games? How about if Dalton was here for the time Dak has been here would he have taken the Cowboys to 3 playoff games? How many would Dak have won with Bengals and how many Dalton won if he were to have been in Dallas.

Why people feel the need to try and do a comparison like this is ignorant, lazy and totally irrational.
You forgot..

It's a waste of time posting about it anyway.

So why try?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Dalton should be fine. There is a perception that he will make his reads faster than Dak. I think that’s a faulty assumption. However, I do think he will get the ball out of his hand faster, taking the first open option he sees. When Dak was doing that, fans referred to it as dinking and dunking. With Dalton, they will likely call it faster decision making, whether that’s a holdover of racial QB prejudice or veteran/youth prejudice.

The bottom line is Dak had reached a level of confidence in himself, his receivers, and the system to where he was sometimes holding the ball longer than necessary, trying to push the ball downfield. In the two minute drill, with more on the line at crunch time, he tended to make quicker reads and take what the defense gave him in order to move the ball effectively and avoid negative plays.

Dalton is likely to get the ball out of his hands faster, which is a good thing for a backup QB behind a limited OL, but no one should try to compare that to Dak’s style. Dak was extremely effective, and I think Andy Dalton will be effective.

The defense is an entirely different matter.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
daks the best every. we should start just calling him stats. impressive stats in losses. the best every....