Does everybody feel comfortable with the back up QB situation?

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
I have been thinking that if Bledsoe were ever to go down, (and I pray this doesn't ever happen) would we feel 100% confident with Romo or *gasp* Henson stepping in and leading this football team for an extended stretch? Since this team is loading up to make a serious run, it really seems foolish to gamble and place our trust into Romo/Henson when neither of them have proven they are capable of leading a football team.

I'm just curious what anybody thinks about signing a veteran QB.....I know some people might shut this idea down immediately....but what about Kerry Collins? A lot people have compared this guy to Drew Bledsoe, even though he's not even close when it comes to overall talent, but Kerry has been to a superbowl.

Also I'm sure at this point in Collins career, nobody is going to sign him to be a starting QB, he will likely have to be content with being a back up if he wants to play.

Another longshot possibility is Jay Fieldler, but it might be risky since he's coming off a serious injury and is getting up there in years as well.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
Hell nah, i dont feel comfortable with our current backup QB situation. Romo and Henson have done nothing to show that they will be able to step in the game and get it done. I would be so mad, if Bledsoe were to go down, and we have 2 no-names who arent proven as backups. I say we go out there and get at least someone with some experience, to backup Bledsoe, that way we will still be able to win games, if he were to go down!!!!!!!!

wileedog

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
Another longshot possibility is Jay Fieldler, but it might be risky since he's coming off a serious injury and is getting up there in years as well.

Collins yes if he can't land a starting gig.

If it gets down the Jay Fiedler's of the world I just assume stick with Romo, who at least has several years in Parcell's offense and Bill has a better idea what to do with him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
If Bledsoe goes down, our season is probably toast because I have little to no confidence in Romo or Henson.

OTOH, Bledsoe is almost indestructible and the OL should be improved this season.

I would rather invest elsewhere and roll the dice on this one.

I would like to add one more point. If Romo isn't capable of being an adequate backup in his fourth season in the league, he should really be shown the door because he should be ready by now. With his roster spot, we could probably sign some journeyman vet.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
A simple answer...NO. I think I would "gasp" if either came in or more likely running for my bottle of whiskey.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No but I also think Romo has more upside than Brooks, Collins, Feidler etc... The only young QB player out there I wouldnt mind seeing in Dallas is Schaub. Someone needs to grab him up before Atlanta realizes he is better and has more upside than Vick.

montgod

Reaction score
Well...there are like two or three threads on this already, but I think Volek would be the best option in a trade since the Titans won't want to pay for three QBs seeing as they will draft a QB w/their first pick.

Schaub is a good option also, but I don't see Atlanta trading him knowing how much Vick gets hurt. And if they were going to trade Schaub, you can bet they want a 2nd or higher which is ridiculous!

Bizwah

Reaction score
I've never felt comfortable with any backup we've ever had.

Usually, when your backup Qb comes in, you're pretty much screwed.

In our case, bringing in a Brooks would take a roster spot from Romo, Henson, or a draft pick.

This is what I'd do......

Keep Romo and Henson. Draft a QB like Croyle if we can secure another second or third round pick. Let these three fight it out in camp.

The winner keeps the third QB spot....there usually are QBs running around free during the summer....sign one after the season's first game.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Cowboys are like a lot of teams, where they are one hit away from being in deep doo-doo.

Imagine if Peyton Manning goes down, do you think Indy fans will be overly confident. They've just been fortunate where he hasn't had a significant injury.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I wish BP would have sent a 5th to Wahington for Ramsey. The guy is more than a capable backup. Then again if Joe Gibbs gives up on you, something must be seriously wrong.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
If Drew ever goes down this season likely as not season over. Troy was the last franchise QB Dallas invested in and all these patches since then haven't been able to get in gear. Not that they have ever been allowed much actual game experience even when Dallas was clearly out of the game. A mistake that.

montgod

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I wish BP would have sent a 5th to Wahington for Ramsey. The guy is more than a capable backup. Then again if Joe Gibbs gives up on you, something must be seriously wrong.

Even though I wouldn't have minded giving up a 5th for Ramsey, there is no well in he!! that Snider trades to Jerry even if a trade consisted of trading a Orange flavored Jello cup for a Strawberry flavored Jello cup. Just wouldn't happen...EVER!

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
A simple answer...NO. I think I would "gasp" if either came in or more likely running for my bottle of whiskey.

I hear ya, but then again there's not many other viable options out there in terms of veteran QB's.

Forget running for a bottle of whiskey though, if Bledsoe gets hurt I'd like go running for the nearest bridge or steep cliff to jump off.:D

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
I think the Cowboys are like a lot of teams, where they are one hit away from being in deep doo-doo.

Imagine if Peyton Manning goes down, do you think Indy fans will be overly confident. They've just been fortunate where he hasn't had a significant injury.

Jim Sorgi is god

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
If Bledsoe goes down, our season is probably toast because I have little to no confidence in Romo or Henson.

OTOH, Bledsoe is almost indestructible and the OL should be improved this season.

I would rather invest elsewhere and roll the dice on this one.

I would like to add one more point. If Romo isn't capable of being an adequate backup in his fourth season in the league, he should really be shown the door because he should be ready by now. With his roster spot, we could probably sign some journeyman vet.

Very true, aside from the 'freak' injury that fateful day in 2001, Bledsoe has been a beast. Even a pin in his throwing finger didn't stop him from leading the pats to the playoffs in 98 either.

But if disaster strikes we are in a boatload of trouble, because Drew Henson or Romo aren't Tom Brady. :(

neosapien23

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
I hear ya, but then again there's not many other viable options out there in terms of veteran QB's.

Forget running for a bottle of whiskey though, if Bledsoe gets hurt I'd like go running for the nearest bridge or steep cliff to jump off.:D

The one thing people forget to mention about Bledsoe is his toughness and durability. He doesn't move around well in the pocket, but he is nearly indestructable. He would have to suffer a significant injury to miss any playing time.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday said:
No but I also think Romo has more upside than Brooks, Collins, Feidler etc... The only young QB player out there I wouldnt mind seeing in Dallas is Schaub. Someone needs to grab him up before Atlanta realizes he is better and has more upside than Vick.

Atlanta has already said their not letting Schaub go unless a team offer a team offers something big (i.e a 1st round pick) for him. In fact don't be surprised if he does end up starting there someday....Vick is garbage.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:

NO, NO, that's too extreme......:D

SkinsFan26

Reaction score
Biggest weakness of the Cowboys is QB. If Bledsoe goes down, the Boys are in a world of hurt. This could be said for many teams, but the backup QBs in Dallas are definitely weak.

With Bledsoe, 9-10 win caliber team

With Henson, 4-5

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I'm happy with Romo and Henson, they've been around, they know the system, I bet Romo looks good in preseason.