Does Frank Gore make you nervous for Emmitt's record?

perrykemp

Reaction score
If Frank Gore breaks it I think it would be cool. That has nothing to do with how I feel about Emmitt Smith.

With that said, I don't think he will.

All these records will be meaningless over time if the NFL moves to a 17 game season.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Emmitt's record is safe for now. And I doubt it will be broken for years to come. Despite the resurgence of the running back position, the league currently is a passing league and a substitution league, especially for running backs. I just don't think you're going to see a workhorse back like Emmitt anymore. Frank Gore has had a marvelous, if not unassuming, career. But it would likely take him seven more years to catch Emmitt because Gore has likely seen the last of his 1,000 yard rushing seasons. Question is whether Frank Gore is a Hall of Fame back?
Well he is about to be #3 on a list where 13 of the top 16 are in the Hall and the other two are All Day (certainly) and Edgerrin James (very good chance). So...
Now should he? Personally I don’t think so, but I am also not completely opposed to putting in a few stat compilers.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
If Frank Gore breaks it I think it would be cool. That has nothing to do with how I feel about Emmitt Smith.

With that said, I don't think he will.

All these records will be meaningless over time if the NFL moves to a 17 game season.

Would be the furthest thing from "cool" ever. Frank Gore? No disrespect but Gore? Doesn't belong in the same sentence as Emmitt, Barry, Sweetness...

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
He is 100 yards away from Barry Sanders and will be probably around 2800 from Emmitt by years end.

Surprising he still gets carries but he is still chugging away. I would think he would get replaced pretty soon!

yes he does

agk136

Reaction score
No. Gore is 36 yrs old. His body will not last much more after this year. Nobody is going to keep a 37 yr old running back (next year). This probably is his last year in the NFL.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Would be the furthest thing from "cool" ever. Frank Gore? No disrespect but Gore? Doesn't belong in the same sentence as Emmitt, Barry, Sweetness...

The fact that Emmitt Smith holds the rushing records has zero bearing on how I feel about his career.

If Gore breaks the record, it doesn't mean I'll believe Gore is better than Smith (or Sanders).

I personally think Jim Brown is the best RB of all time and he probably had half the yards Emmit had...

Thomas82

Reaction score
I thought about this and concluded...Gore won't get enough snaps to touch Emmitt and maybe Sweetness.

Who is gonna sign Gore as a lead RB after this season? Idk.

Not to mention that he's 36 years old.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He is 100 yards away from Barry Sanders and will be probably around 2800 from Emmitt by years end.

Surprising he still gets carries but he is still chugging away. I would think he would get replaced pretty soon!
if its 2800...that's three more years at least

CWR

Reaction score
No, not yet. I dont think he has 3 years left in the tank, although he is immortal.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Nervous. Not at all. Have someone surpasses the great Emmitt Smith they deserve it

Shinaoi

Reaction score
I don’t think that record will ever be broken honestly.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I think Frank will retire #2 all time in rushing and will make the HOF, but Emmitt has a substantial margin at this point. Frank would likely have to play RB until he is 40, and that's unprecedented.

Swanny

Reaction score

Why be nervous about it? If he breaks it good for him. Nothing to be ashamed of it nervous about

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Gore doesn't stand out as a HOF player. Only 5 pro bowls and only one all-pro nod (2nd team at that), only one season of double digit rushing TDs (10 in 2009). I think he should be in the Hall of Very Good.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew Gore was pretty high on the list, but I didn't realize he was that high. At his age, and considering he will likely never be a full time player again, it would be surprising if he would catch Emmitt. Even if he kept his 2019 pace of 60.3 yards per game, it would take him 53 more games to pass Emmitt. I can't see him keeping that pace as he gets closer to 40 years old.

Dunks3001

Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. It's crazy that a RB in today's NFL is even sniffing Emmitt's record. 2800 yards definitely sniffs that record. Closer than anyone has come before right? But, a few unlikely things have to happen. Mainly, he would still need to be a starter on an NFL team for a few more seasons and average 1000 yards a season in order to break it. With his age that makes all of the above very unlikely.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Well he is about to be #3 on a list where 13 of the top 16 are in the Hall and the other two are All Day (certainly) and Edgerrin James (very good chance). So...
Now should he? Personally I don’t think so, but I am also not completely opposed to putting in a few stat compilers.

Just seems like he's been hanging on and padding stats for the last 5-6 years. Like he's not on anyone's radar. Easy to forget he's in the league almost. I just don't see him as a HOF'er but those type of #'s are undeniable. Not a "profilic" runner imo. I've never had anything against him but never been a fan like Faulk, Sanders, Tomlinson but I respect him as a pro.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No. Gore is 36 yrs old. His body will not last much more after this year. Nobody is going to keep a 37 yr old running back (next year). This probably is his last year in the NFL.
So true. If I'm not mistaken, Emmitt was 35 when he retired being the All-time rusher.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
Question is whether Frank Gore is a Hall of Fame back?

I want to say no, but how do you not put him in the HOF when he's 2nd or 3rd all-time in rushing yards? I think he has to get in, but you look at his rushing totals and TD's season by season, and none of them are eye popping. He had 1700 yards his second season, but then never had more than 1200 yards in a season again, and he only had double digit TD's (10) once. He was a good RB for a long time, but he has never seemed like a HOF quality back. Compare that to a guy like Terrell Davis, who was only in the league seven years, but was so dominant in 3 or 4 of them that it feels like he was in the league twice as long. Davis was an absolute monster for 3 seasons and was a huge part of their back to back SB wins, winning SB MVP and league MVP in back to back seasons, along with being a 2000 yards rusher in 98. Just those 2 SB seasons alone were enough to get HOF voters to overlook the fact that he was hurt and did absolutely nothing in 3 of his 7 seasons. He was a difference maker, THE difference maker during those 2 SB runs.

Gore has longevity, but he doesn't have a single season that pops out where he was the difference maker. He's just a really good RB that has played for a really long time. I guess that will get him in eventually, but I bet it takes awhile.