Does Frank Gore make you nervous for Emmitt's record?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Gore is not a journeyman. He spent 10 years with the 49ers. Journeymen running backs don't stick around with one organization that long. Since he left San Francisco, he is somewhat of a journeyman being on 3 teams in 5 years, but the vast majority of his career was with one team.

I'm not for or against Gore getting into the HoF. I can see the argument both for and against him. It won't bother me if he gets in and it won't bother me if he doesn't. I think any team would be happy with the solid, consistent production he has provided on a yearly basis. Troy Hambrick, Julius Jones, Marion Barber III, Felix Jones or Demarco Murray weren't able to get that steady, yearly production. Reliability is an underappreciated aspect from the running back position. It is amazing that Gore has started over 200 games. He wasn't flashy and he didn't produce the monster seasons, but he did provide a constant threat.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Gore is not a journeyman. He spent 10 years with the 49ers. Journeymen running backs don't stick around with one organization that long. Since he left San Francisco, he is somewhat of a journeyman being on 3 teams in 5 years, but the vast majority of his career was with one team.

I'm not for or against Gore getting into the HoF. I can see the argument both for and against him. It won't bother me if he gets in and it won't bother me if he doesn't. I think any team would be happy with the solid, consistent production he has provided on a yearly basis. Troy Hambrick, Julius Jones, Marion Barber III, Felix Jones or Demarco Murray weren't able to get that steady, yearly production. Reliability is an underappreciated aspect from the running back position. It is amazing that Gore has started over 200 games. He wasn't flashy and he didn't produce the monster seasons, but he did provide a constant threat.

He has 15k rushing yards and 5 pro bowls.

that’s first ballot HoF for a RB.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hard to imagine given the way offense is played these days. The featured "bell cow" back is extremely rare. The Kamara's/McCaffrey's/Barkley's and committees are the future.

and coincidentally they are also breakaway long distance backs - something Zeke used to be, before coaching staff seemingly decided to make him more of a Bell Cow grinder, than
instant long run threat he was coming out of Ohio State en route to the No.4th pick overall.

quickccc

Reaction score

I dunno about first ballot. i dont think even the likes of Bettis or Curtis Martin were 1st ballots
and Gore is NEVER even in the mention as a elite back or gets the spotlight because of his grinding style.
He's so workman like and ordinary that he doesn't appeal to entertaining media speaks. And he's been around the league per several teams he's been on.

And so surprisingly,..at his age,...and that grinding, pounding style, he's yet still in the league and still gets signed up by teams.

JayFord

Reaction score
No

he deserves it.....hes quiet and goes about his business

cant root against a guy like that

lostar2009

Reaction score
Didn't know Frank Gore was still playing, lol. I guess he still got juice in the tank.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I dunno about first ballot. i dont think even the likes of Bettis or Curtis Martin were 1st ballots
Bettis and Martin where both 1st ballot. Every single retired RB that was top 10 in career yards was first ballot.

That's why it's funny that people think Gore won't be HOF. It's like yeah there gonna put every single top 10 yard RB as 1st ballot but they won't enshrine Gore who will finish 3rd all time

Last edited:

Tussinman

Reaction score

Agreed. Every runningback with more than 12k yards is in the hall of fame and he has over 15k with only 3 of those RB's having a higher yards per carry.

People basically try to discredit Gore because he wasn't an Adrian Foster, Chris Johnson, Jamall Charles and Demarco Murrary type player who got 3 years of elite production and then fell off the face of the Earth to never been seen again.

Basically these 300+ carry a season 1 hit wonders hogged all the All-Pro's/Rushing leader titles and then vanished off the face the Earth and people are trying to discredit Gore because he's not one of those type of players.

No other position would be complaining about this. Imagine some DE who played 13 to 14 season getting low double digit sacks every year and ends up with over 150 sacks. He would never have the elite top 5 caliber seasons but would easily sniff Canton yet a position that does not have stat padding (runningback) it's "hell no he's not canton, hall of very good"

Literally the only argument i've heard of him not getting in his using an adjective to describe him that doesn't not exist for his position (that adjective being compiler/stat padder). There's not such thing as a compiler at running back, if you have to use an adjective that doesn't exist to describe him then he's probably a hall of famer

quickccc

Reaction score

that's why the HOF ballot/voting can be a popularity contest at times, and you can have viable candidates snubbed and ignored for decades.
and then questionable HOF inductee candidates in that are no different an impact from the tons of other pro bowlers in past (ala harry carson) ..imo.

kskboys

Reaction score
Agreed. Every runningback with more than 12k yards is in the hall of fame and he has over 15k with only 3 of those RB's having a higher yards per carry.

People basically try to discredit Gore because he wasn't an Adrian Foster, Chris Johnson, Jamall Charles and Demarco Murrary type player who got 3 years of elite production and then fell off the face of the Earth to never been seen again.

Basically these 300+ carry a season 1 hit wonders hogged all the All-Pro's/Rushing leader titles and then vanished off the face the Earth and people are trying to discredit Gore because he's not one of those type of players.

No other position would be complaining about this. Imagine some DE who played 13 to 14 season getting low double digit sacks every year and ends up with over 150 sacks. He would never have the elite top 5 caliber seasons but would easily sniff Canton yet a position that does not have stat padding (runningback) it's "hell no he's not canton, hall of very good"

Literally the only argument i've heard of him not getting in his using an adjective to describe him that doesn't not exist for his position (that adjective being compiler/stat padder). There's not such thing as a compiler at running back, if you have to use an adjective that doesn't exist to describe him then he's probably a hall of famer

Gore = Bruce Smith = Witten = Emmit Smith = Michael Irvin = Curtis Martin = Hines Ward = Andre Johnson

Everyone's in love w/ the flashy players, and that's fine. However, that's no reason to think that non-flashy players aren't good.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bettis and Martin where both 1st ballot. Every single retired RB that was top 10 in career yards was first ballot.

That's why it's funny that people think Gore won't be HOF. It's like yeah there gonna put every single top 10 yard RB as 1st ballot but they won't enshrine Gore who will finish 3rd all time
NFL people both know and appreciate how good Gore is. Dude is easily HOF, and is in the discussion for top 20 all time.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Nope, because other teams will go younger and draft someone who is as good out of college, cheaper, and stronger than him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gore = Bruce Smith = Witten = Emmit Smith = Michael Irvin = Curtis Martin = Hines Ward = Andre Johnson

Everyone's in love w/ the flashy players, and that's fine. However, that's no reason to think that non-flashy players aren't good.
It's like the difference between Hank Aaron and Willie Mays. Mays was the one who's athleticism really jumped out, meanwhile year after year after year Aaron was hitting his 35-40 HRs until he ended up with the record. There is a lot to be said for that kind of consistent excellence. That's the kind of player Emmitt was.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's like the difference between Hank Aaron and Willie Mays. Mays was the one who's athleticism really jumped out, meanwhile year after year after year Aaron was hitting his 35-40 HRs until he ended up with the record. There is a lot to be said for that kind of consistent excellence. That's the kind of player Emmitt was.
I was thinking of bringing up Hank Aaron, was afraid no one would know how he set the record!!!!!

Kudos to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hank never hit 50 homers, and only went over 45 one time.

joseephuss

Reaction score

The majority of Hall of Famers usually have a few flashy seasons as well as having a whole bunch of solid, consistent years. Instead of one or the other, the great ones have both. Emmitt was flashy. Having 4 rushing titles is a flashy stat. He was also consistent like Gore. Irvin was definitely flashy and he was also steady.

Curtis Martin averaged 83 yards per game for his career. That is 10th best all-time. That seems flashy to me and he played a lot of games, which shows his non-flashy steadfastness.