Does NY's defense really scare you?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
So many of the pundits have said that they have the best D in the NFC, etc... But does their D really scare you?

I think they have two good passrushers and one great passrusher in Osi. But if you can block those guys up -- max protect, shorter drops, etc -- are they that good?

I say there's no way. Madison makes some plays but is older, Ross is a rookie, their safeties aren't great, and their LBs aren't special.

I think that if we can keep Osi from getting to Romo too many times, our O will have no problem. Keep in mind that the Eagles were leading the NFC in points allowed until we played them.

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
The only thing that scares me is there passrush.They have to great Rushers in Strahan and Osi!

juck

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab is that Newman in ur Sig?

canters

Reaction score
Don't forget Tuck. I think Flo and Colombo can phsycially dominate both Osi and the Gap over time, as both are smaller speed guys. The Gmen are deep on the Dline, no doubt.

dooomsday

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1749247 said:
So many of the pundits have said that they have the best D in the NFC, etc... But does their D really scare you?

I think they have two good passrushers and one great passrusher in Osi. But if you can block those guys up -- max protect, shorter drops, etc -- are they that good?

I say there's no way. Madison makes some plays but is older, Ross is a rookie, their safeties aren't great, and their LBs aren't special.

I think that if we can keep Osi from getting to Romo too many times, our O will have no problem. Keep in mind that the Eagles were leading the NFC in points allowed until we played them.

Its their line that gets credit, and yes, its very good. Great new DC too.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Not even alittle. They've abused horrible offensive teams and got torched against offenses that can score.

The Cowboys drop at least 35 on them. The Eagles have a better defense.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dooomsday;1749269 said:
Its their line that gets credit, and yes, its very good. Great new DC too.

Read the link in my .sig about there defense and all their sacks.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
T.O81;1749254 said:
The only thing that scares me is there passrush.They have to great Rushers in Strahan and Osi!

That 4 Aces package doesnt scare me in the least.

To counter that:

1. Romo will call out TO's name throw a pass :D
  2. Romo will throw that toss to Barber on the screen 2x :D
Once we smoke them a few times... they will call off the Dogs

sago1

Reaction score
I am concerned about their pass rush. It's not just Osi and Strahan but they's also got a guy named Tuck whose got 7 sacks. Giants have a total of 30 sacks in first 8 games. Don't know how many hurries they credited with. Here's a breakdown of when sacks occurred:

Breaking that down: 1. 2 sacks in first 2 games,
2. 12 sacks in Eagles game,
3. 16 sacks in remaining 5 games.
Total: 30

Should be interesting to see what game plan Garrett devises to limit Giant ability to get to Romo while still ensuring our offense runs on all cylinders. Would think something similar to what we did against the Eagles, Vikes, etc. would be part of the package.

dooomsday

Reaction score
nyc;1749279 said:
Read the link in my .sig about there defense and all their sacks.

Very interesting. Thanks. Its not just sacks tho, they are good. Perhaps not quite as good as advertised. But they get to the QB.

What impresses me is their blitzes packages and Steve Spagnuolo, a Jimmy Johnson (Igles) disciple. We all know who well the Igs played us last year. The Gints are more talented on the line.

I dont think they are great. Don't like the DBs and LBs. But their DL is good.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
juckie;1749264 said:
Chocolate Lab is that Newman in ur Sig?

Yep, winning the Big 12 100m.

All the talk about their new DC... He's a Jim Johnson protege, and we just spent a week (or two, with the bye) preparing for his schemes. We just stomped the master, so I don't see why we wouldn't do the same thing to the student.

Granted, we do have to keep their rush out. But they aren't facing Joey Harrington or Cleo Lemon's offensive line this week, either.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
The only one on the front 4 that worries me is Strahan. Flo has proven he can handle Osi.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Looking at the defensive stats for both teams, they are pretty even, until you get to the line about penalties. Giants have been penalized 65 times, while the Cowboys only have 42 infractions. Those penalties have cost the Giants 501 yards to 350 for the Cowboys.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
stay out of 3rd and long and we should be okay.

Just like last week, I love witten, fasano and julius jones catching the ball on their linebackers.

Special teams coverage worries me the most this week. I like columbo on strahan, I am worried about flo and osi and that is not a knock on flo it is a compliment to osi, he is unblockable at times.

These two teams dont like each other, there is a ton of familiarity and the giants are sore losers who have a bunch of outspoken guys who never know when to shut up. By the end of the week I fully expect someone up there to say something ridiculous.

It should be a fun week of buildup, watching every media member pick the giants because of that pass rush and then hopefully playing well in the game.

Its weeks like this that make being a fan so much fun.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Our o line will manhandle and wear down their D line. Count on it. Their LBs and DBs are trash. We'll score at least 30 on them.

superpunk

Reaction score
Their four aces package got a little overrated agaisnt the Eagles, simply because they were kept in third and long and the Giants could keep trotting it out there.

I doubt that happens against Dallas. Miami's line manhandled that tiny front four. If Cleo Lemon was as competent as say....Joey Harrington, Miami would have blown them out with Jesse Chatman at RB.

Is short, no.

Skin

Reaction score
I just listened to Gosselin on the way to lunch. He was on 1560, here in Houston, with a local host and he said the Giants are the best team in the NFC. Despite that, he did say he thought the Cowboys would win the division.

He told the host that the Giants lost to us because it was their first game in their defense, Umenyiora was hurt, Strahan hadn't practiced, etc. Of course, he didn't touch on Newman, Ellis and T. Glenn missing the game, Jason Ferguson's injury or the fact that it was our first game in a new defense. The Goose is always entertaining.

I don't think that they will be able to get consistent pressure on Romo and they can't stop our running game. I think that Witten is going to shred the middle of the field. With our DBs healthy (or as healthy as they've been), I don't look for them to go as nuts as they have in the past, particularly since I think we're going to get good pressure on Eli.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Giant defense is good and can be great if they can take you out of your game plan and you become 1 dimensional. Problem Romo presents to them is he is great about moving around while keeping his eyes down field. Giant secondary can still get toasted if the line and QB can buy some time

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I prefer playing a team that makes our offensive line pay attention. I am sure they will hear all week that this is the best front 4 in the NFL. And after Sunday night I no longer will doubt that this OL understands their importance to our goals this year. They played better against the Eagles than they had against any other DL this year. And with all of the accolades they received, I am sure they are ready to prove that the Giants may be the best front four in the NFL...but not when they play us. Let's get it on!

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Does NY's defense really scare you?

I'm concerned, but not scared.

Romo's mobility is a huge plus. Another plus - Romo's knack for flipping the ball over pass rushers into the hands of MBIII.

And the Dallas OL has looked good too.

So Romo's mobility along with the Dallas OL's ability ought to be enough to contain the Giants pass pressure.

But no doubt about it, the Giants D presents a real challenge. It'll be interesting to see how well the Cowboys handle the challenge.