Does Rich Eisen Knows Zack Martin's Madden Rating Doesn't Make Him a Good Player

blueblood70

Reaction score
Zack doesn't need camp. Be real surprised if he doesn't play week one regular season. On the off chance he doesn't, everyone gonna find out the hard way what he means to this team.
Anyone really believe that Martin's gonna sit back and miss all the practices at $90,000 apiece??

I mean when does the official practices start usually the first three days of camp or just checking in signing up I believe they do physicals but when are the veterans absolutely officially have to be at practice? I bet he reports on that day and yet the coaches will respect him and not make him practice but he will come in and end this holdout veterans don't practice much they don't really get in preseason games he only needs to really be ready about two weeks before game one start practicing game planning that kind of thing there is no way if he thinks it's about money that he's gonna lose $90,000 for every practice and the new rules say you can't get it forgiven.. If this is truly about money I don't think the man's ready to lose $90,000 for every practice I don't know what that's gonna add up to by the end of training camp preseason etcetera but it's a lot...
There's a big difference between the players who are on the franchise tag that had yet to sign it because technically there don't have a contract, but in this case he's gonna be fined the Cowboys don't have a choice..

lukemartin79

Reaction score
I'm saying stop being a brat, holding out, and whining before camp. You signed a contract. Can you imagine if Jerry held out on paying up on his end of the deal?

Why is this a two-way street?

Martin is good. But he's declining, which is why he's trying to get his money. He saw what happened to Zeke, and wants to collect a few more monster checks before he retires.

I realize he's a good player, but you have to go show it on the field, and be a good player. You're not a good player because the Madden Sea Orgs, or whatever, say you are.
I'm saying stop being a brat, holding out, and whining before camp. You signed a contract. Can you imagine if Jerry held out on paying up on his end of the deal?

Martin is good. But he's declining, which is why he's trying to get his money. He saw what happened to Zeke, and wants to collect a few more monster checks before he retires.

I realize he's a good player, but you have to go show it on the field, and be a good player. You're not a good player because the Madden Sea Orgs, or whatever, say you are.
Exactly, he signed the damn contract - no gun to his head, lol. He loved the deal back then. Did he think salaries for top guards in the league were not going to go up in 5 years. The only way to combat that is to sign a one or two year deal and sign a new contract every year or two - otherwise you are certainly going to be passed up. . All these guys in all sports want to have the long-term deals but as soon as somebody tops them they want to renegotiate their contracts. If their play falls off over the length of the contract, they have no problems being way overpaid for a few years - no squawking then at all - lol. I love Zack, what a great Cowboy he has been, but this is ridiculous. Honor the deal you agreed to and signed happily.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don't think the man's ready to lose $90,000 for every practice I don't know what that's gonna add up to by the end of training camp preseason etcetera but it's a lot...
He’s looking for over 7m$ a year in pay raise. Over the course of a new 5 year deal that’ll be 35-40 million dollars. To him Losing 90k is absolutely worth the tradeoff.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
They fulfill the contract all the time. Where do you get this stuff from?

Very very seldom is a player asked to take a pay cut. What you're referring to is simply when they redo a salary and push some of it down the line. This is done so they can build a contender.
I'm not talking about converting salary into a bonus. When a player gets cut...for whatever reason...unless they have a guaranteed contract they don't get paid even though they have a contract with years left on it.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Remember when they needed him to play OT and he said I'm paid to play RG? Meaning he wasn't willing to be a team player because OT's are paid higher than OG's and he wasn't making OT money so he didn't want to do it... He eventually did for a game or two but yeah, he isn't the "bleeding blue & silver hero" some guys around here want him to be. And while he's very good at what he does, I haven't seen him dominate guys in the last year or two. I feel like he's been resting on his reputation and also losing a step.... He knew how many years his contract was for when he signed it. And when he did sign it, he was the highest paid OG in the league....
Exactly.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Eisen and Dan Patrick are among the few I respect.
I have a lot of respect for him as well because of how he conducts himself. No Skip Bayless or Stephen A type tactics.

When I saw him run a 40 yard dash for charity, he earned my respect.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
And Martin has been paid very well for his whole career since he was a high 1st round pick.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
And Martin has been paid very well for his whole career since he was a high 1st round pick.
I also don't remember them hesitating to pay him. Like, they didn't haggle with him: they paid him as the highest paid player in the league. I could see the reasoning behind this if it were 2024, but it's 2023 — and a few days before camp starts. So I see it as self-centered, misguided egotism.

He's likely getting bad advice from a greedy agent.

He's definitely on my chap list, I admit. It's jst such a low-class move, from an alleged high-class player.

Most people think class has to do with money; but those who actually have class realize it's not at all about money, unless we're talking from a resources standpoint. True class takes more than that. There are plenty of sleaze bucket individuals in this world, with zero class, and abundance of money.

This kind of low-class, or classlessness isn't about finances, though.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Holy crap. The level of disrespect being shown to one of the best cowboys to ever play, simply because he wants a new contract.

Meanwhile some of the same folks will pimp guys drafted on day 3 as the next big thing.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I also don't remember them hesitating to pay him. Like, they didn't haggle with him: they paid him as the highest paid player in the league. I could see the reasoning behind this if it were 2024, but it's 2023 — and a few days before camp starts. So I see it as self-centered, misguided egotism.

He's likely getting bad advice from a greedy agent.

He's definitely on my chap list, I admit. It's jst such a low-class move, from an alleged high-class player.

Most people think class has to do with money; but those who actually have class realize it's not at all about money, unless we're talking from a resources standpoint. True class takes more than that. There are plenty of sleaze bucket individuals in this world, with zero class, and abundance of money.

This kind of low-class, or classlessness isn't about finances, though.
the only low class around here are posts like this.

shabazz

Reaction score
Holy crap. The level of disrespect being shown to one of the best cowboys to ever play, simply because he wants a new contract.

Meanwhile some of the same folks will pimp guys drafted on day 3 as the next big thing.
Two different issues here

the fact that he is an ALL World player is widely accepted and is no part of the debate
the fact that he doesnt want to honor a contract in which he was richly paid is the only part being discussed.

honoring ones word doesn’t change because one is a pro bowler and the other is a long snapper.

Having said that, I hope there’s a compromise or deal that can be reached that doesn’t effect OTHER players who have been waiting patiently to get THEIR contracts.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Two different issues here

the fact that he is an ALL World player is widely accepted and is no part of the debate
the fact that he doesnt want to honor a contract in which he was richly paid is the only part being discussed.

honoring ones word doesn’t change because one is a pro bowler and the other is a long snapper.

Having said that, I hope there’s a compromise or deal that can be reached that doesn’t effect OTHER players who have been waiting patiently to get THEIR contracts.
Idk. The OP is basically about how Martin doesn’t live up to his Madden rating and has lost a step.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
he’s 33. If Eagles offered the saints’ 2nd round pick and Tyler Steen ( 3rd round rookie who was Alabama’s starting LT but can play inside), would you do it?

Mammoth cap saving for next year and avoid paying a crippling contract raise for a guy who may just retire in 2-3 years anyway

EST_1986

Reaction score

Can you imagine if jerry cut a player that under performed that he overpaid?

conner01

Reaction score
Zack doesn't need camp. Be real surprised if he doesn't play week one regular season. On the off chance he doesn't, everyone gonna find out the hard way what he means to this team.
He will likely play since if he doesn’t he won’t get paid anything. I get a guy on his last year but Martin has 2 years left on what was a big deal when he signed it

conner01

Reaction score
Can you imagine if jerry cut a player that under performed that he overpaid?
He has cut players but if you are over paid, generally you don’t care if you get cut since you’ve generally already got most of the money