Does Rich Eisen Knows Zack Martin's Madden Rating Doesn't Make Him a Good Player

shabazz

Reaction score
Yeah he got that title by default because he’s good. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s a leader.
The term leader is thrown around way too much. Several types of leaders

Michael Irvin…leader by his play and boisterous leader by connecting with his teammates and elevating them

Aikman……..quiet leader by his play and example

Emmitt….not a leader per se…..but a guy you want as a teammate and know he will give 110%

Martin is merely a guy who plays his position flawlessly, may not be a rah, rah guy but as far as being a leader I believe only his teammates can speak to that.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Zack has been making $14 million per year in the current contract. It doesn't expire until 2024. That's an inordinate amount of money for a RG. He's no longer the player that he once was, regardless of what current ratings leads one to believe. It's long been a ton of money for that position. Now that he's holding himself hostage for more, it's anyone's guess how far he's willing to continue doing so.

Here's hoping he doesn't put a curse on the Cowboys chances of attaining a Super Bowl appearance in the upcoming season. $14 mil should be plenty for anyone at that position. Why he can't be content with that is beyond me. He shouldn't be reneging on that deal at this juncture, knowing what the ultimate perils might inflict. Let's just hope this thing ends amicably in the end. (jmho.)

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The term leader is thrown around way too much. Several types of leaders

Michael Irvin…leader by his play and boisterous leader by connecting with his teammates and elevating them

Aikman……..quiet leader by his play and example

Emmitt….not a leader per se…..but a guy you want as a teammate and know he will give 110%

Martin is merely a guy who plays his position flawlessly, may not be a rah, rah guy but as far as being a leader I believe only his teammates can speak to that.
To me a leader is a guy the whole team listens to. The defense listened to Michael Irvin. Not just his position group or offense.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Zack doesn't need camp. Be real surprised if he doesn't play week one regular season. On the off chance he doesn't, everyone gonna find out the hard way what he means to this team.
losing 50 G a day seems counter productive to me

coult44

Reaction score
Rich Eisen gets it.

You can't say the same for Zack Martin.
"
All-Pro Zack Martin Loves His Madden Rating More than his Contract

Picture this. Like, there's chaos going on out there in Zach Martin's life. In his real life. Man. And you're talking about his Madden rating? Is Zack Martin is good, the Madden "organization says." I mean . . . he's aight, but 99 Madden rating? I think the Madden Organization needs to re-organize. Part of the reason Zeke lost a step is because Martin also lost a step. Martin was maybe an 89 - 90 not to long ago, in my Madden rankings. But he was never level 99 Larry Allen.

I mean, thank goodness for Tyler Smith last year. Thankfully, we picked up some players who can play guard, if Martin decides he isn't getting paid enough, and decides not to play, so he won't be getting paid anything.

Either way, Martin, no Zack Martin. Holding out is stupid, all the way around, on Zack Martin's part. Maybe it's just media. Maybe he's just trying to pull a stunt to show everyone believes what they hear in the media. Then he'll show up clowning, saying everything was fine, and that he took his own ride, or a veteran's first day off, approved by coach and all. Something along those lines. Anyway, I can't respect a player who holds out, at this point in time. I want to enjoy watching football. see Zack Martin shift focus to his future contract negotiations and shift attention to our fans overrating Zack Martin in their popularity contests.

It just doesn't make sense. You're upset about not getting paid, so you hold out..

Brilliant!

This might be the hardest read. In the history of CZ.

coult44

Reaction score
Exactly, he signed the damn contract - no gun to his head, lol. He loved the deal back then. Did he think salaries for top guards in the league were not going to go up in 5 years. The only way to combat that is to sign a one or two year deal and sign a new contract every year or two - otherwise you are certainly going to be passed up. . All these guys in all sports want to have the long-term deals but as soon as somebody tops them they want to renegotiate their contracts. If their play falls off over the length of the contract, they have no problems being way overpaid for a few years - no squawking then at all - lol. I love Zack, what a great Cowboy he has been, but this is ridiculous. Honor the deal you agreed to and signed happily.
I think it’s more likely that the players (millionaire millennials) are thinking that if the owners (boomer billionaires) don’t have to honor their end of the contracts, neither do the players.

Are you saying the same thing about the Cowboys cutting Zeke? Isn’t it the same thing? Maybe the owners shouldn’t be allowed to make a joke out of the salary cap and sign guys to 4-5 year contracts, backload them, restructure them, and then cut them before they get to the real money part of the deal.
Why do we care so much about these guys finances?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The key to this? they (all involved)have to figure out a better way to run the cap. If these guys are going to demand huge sums of money, they have to come up with a different way to monetize the system.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Zach Martin is the best OG in the NFL. I have no idea what you're trying to say!!!!
Martin is legitimately in the race for best OG All Time.

6 All Pro Years in his first 9 seasons.

All the OGs with 6 or more have *at least* 13 years in the league. But for the injury in 2020, he probably would have had another, and that would have made it the last 5 years in a row.
6 ties him with Larry.
One more to make 7 would tie him with the 3 top OGs of all time.
Or should I say, the *other* top 3 OGs of all time.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_G.htm

CWR

Reaction score
he’s 33. If Eagles offered the saints’ 2nd round pick and Tyler Steen ( 3rd round rookie who was Alabama’s starting LT but can play inside), would you do it?

Mammoth cap saving for next year and avoid paying a crippling contract raise for a guy who may just retire in 2-3 years anyway

Yeah I think I'd have to. It's always better to move a player a year or two early than a year or two late.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You're not a good player because the Madden Sea Orgs, or whatever, say you are.
You do realize that Zack Martin has been First Team All-Pro in 6/8 seasons that he has played most games including last season? If a player that has “lost a step” is still the best at his position in the league, that is saying something.

I don’t think it’s his madden rating that indicates he is one of the best players in the NFL.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yeah I think I'd have to. It's always better to move a player a year or two early than a year or two late.
We would have 3 future hall of famers, a LG who just started in the pro bowl, and a LT PFF is routinely putting as top 3 in the entire NFL. Might be the best Oline ever

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
We would have 3 future hall of famers, a LG who just started in the pro bowl, and a LT PFF is routinely putting as top 3 in the entire NFL. Might be the best Oline ever

It would be a hell of a line, BUT future hof is different than prime. If only you could turn back the clock.

On paper our line last year also had similar luster with Peters, Tyron, Martin, etc.

That said Martin is still elite imo.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It would be a hell of a line, BUT future hof is different than prime. If only you could turn back the clock.

On paper our line last year also had similar luster with Peters, Tyron, Martin, etc.

That said Martin is still elite imo.
Martin, Kelce, and Johnson were the entire right side of the All Pro first team. They still got it

CWR

Reaction score
Martin, Kelce, and Johnson were the entire right side of the All Pro first team. They still got it

Sure, but you realize when you throw out a statement like "best ever" you are going to be scrutinized to the highest standards.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Sure, but you realize when you throw out a statement like "best ever" you are going to be scrutinized to the highest standards.
Yeah I feel the weight of it. For me it’s…

70’s Raiders
Early 2000’s Chiefs
Mid-90’s Cowboys
Hypothetical Zach Martin Eagles

Maybe only for 1 year if Kelce does walk away (which seems like it may never happen as he’s tried to retire 4 straight years now), but they stack up pretty well against the best lines ever assembled

CWR

Reaction score
Yeah I feel the weight of it. For me it’s…

70’s Raiders
Early 2000’s Chiefs
Mid-90’s Cowboys
Hypothetical Zach Martin Eagles

Maybe only for 1 year if Kelce does walk away (which seems like it may never happen as he’s tried to retire 4 straight years now), but they stack up pretty well against the best lines ever assembled

Thats fair. It really is a shame Tfred got GBS, because our recent lines would've been so much better with him they could've potentially got into the conversation.