Does the court ruling mean we won?

Pants

Reaction score
did we win? Ask teams like Denver, Arizona, LA, Green Bay, etc, etc, etc

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Moving forward..will this judge from Texas continue to work this case? Is that TBD?

Yes. Barring terminal illness or death, the same judge will hear the case at trial whenever a date is set.

True, but guess what will happen at the trial? Goodell, Friel, Henderson, and everyone else involved will have to take the stand and answer questions under oath. Can't wait!

This could be true as well. It'll put the NFL in a sticky situation, especially because Kia Roberts is an NFL employee and will be essentially one of the star witnesses for Kessler and the NFLPA.

This case is pretty crazy when you really think about it -- the NFL's lead investigator and other key employees actually were instrumental in exposing the league's farce of a system. My guess is that Kia Roberts will be working somewhere else in 2018 and beyond.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
The injunction only keeps the NFL from "acting"...in this case suspending Elliott. Unless there is a clear defect in venue or another court already had this matter (in another state, etc.) -neither of which are the case- it's highly unlikely the TX Court cedes to another court.

As far as who's winning: the TX judge telegraphed alot in granting the injunction. It would not have been granted had there not been a substantial likelyhood Elliott would prevail in his potential suit. There is a very low threshold the NFL had to hurdle to get the injunctive action dismissed and they couldn't make that threshold. Arrogance may keep the NFL in litigation, but smart money is bet against their side in future action on this. They may let this die down a bit and look for a way to save face, but make no mistake...there were alot of hints in the ruling on the injunction that cannot be compartmentalized in future action.

Pants

Reaction score
Lol...I don't think the NFL is in the business of hiring goons to whack people, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Mara is from New York...I don't trust anyone from NY

I MEAN GOODELL, yeah, Goodell

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Feeling compelled to say, it's refreshing to see such optimism and good spirits on this website lately . . . Judge's Mazzant's decision was a godsend that's been a long time coming. Now, we can finally sit back, relax and enjoy watching Ezekiel do his thing this season. :D

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The injunction only keeps the NFL from "acting"...in this case suspending Elliott. Unless there is a clear defect in venue or another court already had this matter (in another state, etc.) -neither of which are the case- it's highly unlikely the TX Court cedes to another court.

As far as who's winning: the TX judge telegraphed alot in granting the injunction. It would not have been granted had there not been a substantial likelyhood Elliott would prevail in his potential suit. There is a very low threshold the NFL had to hurdle to get the injunctive action dismissed and they couldn't make that threshold. Arrogance may keep the NFL in litigation, but smart money is bet against their side in future action on this. They may let this die down a bit and look for a way to save face, but make no mistake...there were alot of hints in the ruling on the injunction that cannot be compartmentalized in future action.
Like I said a few days ago, this was the wrong case for the NFL to hitch its infinite power to. They should have made this go away once they got called out with the Roberts revelation. Arrogance clouds judgment.

Some of their power is going to be sapped because of it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feeling compelled to say, it's refreshing to see such optimism and good spirits on this website lately . . . Judge's Mazzant's decision was a godsend that's been a long time coming. Now, we can finally sit back, relax and enjoy watching Ezekiel do his thing this season. :D

I agree. This situation has negatively impacted my excitement for the NFL season in a big way. This verdict and current resolution has gone a long way towards restoring it.

"I just want to watch football guys. Is that too much to ask?"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said a few days ago, this was the wrong case for the NFL to hitch its infinite power to. They should have made this go away once they got called out with the Roberts revelation. Arrogance clouds judgment.

Some of their power is going to be sapped because of it.

Not only power, but some jobs I believe. There's a strong stink going around 345 Park Avenue right now and the air needs to be cleared.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Not only power, but some jobs I believe. There's a strong stink going around 345 Park Avenue right now and the air needs to be cleared.
At the very least Roberts is gone. Friel is likely out, too. The only question is if Henderson and/or Goodell survive. I'd say it's 50/50 Henderson is gone. I'd give 8/1 odds on Goodell being out. Depends on how the case goes and what else comes out.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
I agree. This situation has negatively impacted my excitement for the NFL season in a big way. This verdict and current resolution has gone a long way towards restoring it.

"I just want to watch football guys. Is that too much to ask?"

It has negatively impacted my excitement for the NFL season also except the verdict did NOT change my opinion. See this below.

Yet there’s a reason why the NFL is all right with it, and why it never learns its lesson — when all is said and done and every possible motion and appeal has been filed, the NFL wins. The courts eventually rule that the collective bargaining agreement gives Goodell the right to do exactly what the union agreed he could do back in 2011. In Brady’s case, that was determined one step shy of the Supreme Court.

Hopefully, this ends up in Supreme Court and it rules the CBA is unconstitutional to the players due to the unfairness of the NFL policies.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke's lawyer said it best, "This is just the beginning of the unveiling of the NFL's mishandling as it relates to Mr. Elliott's suspension."

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
This could be true as well. It'll put the NFL in a sticky situation, especially because Kia Roberts is an NFL employee and will be essentially one of the star witnesses for Kessler and the NFLPA.

This case is pretty crazy when you really think about it -- the NFL's lead investigator and other key employees actually were instrumental in exposing the league's farce of a system. My guess is that Kia Roberts will be working somewhere else in 2018 and beyond.

Amazing that Kia Roberts answered the questions truthfully. She may be the only one on the NFL's payroll (in this investigation) that demonstrated honest integrity. The rest of the group (doctors included) have gone along with the whole charade, seemingly for a paycheck. Obviously getting to the truth was not the goal in this case.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has negatively impacted my excitement for the NFL season also except the verdict did NOT change my opinion. See this below.

Yet there’s a reason why the NFL is all right with it, and why it never learns its lesson — when all is said and done and every possible motion and appeal has been filed, the NFL wins. The courts eventually rule that the collective bargaining agreement gives Goodell the right to do exactly what the union agreed he could do back in 2011. In Brady’s case, that was determined one step shy of the Supreme Court.

Hopefully, this ends up in Supreme Court and it rules the CBA is unconstitutional to the players due to the unfairness of the NFL policies.

That's what I'm ultimately expecting. And the NFLPA has an opportunity here. One they should not let slip away. The fact is, that while they may have agreed to give the Commissioner certain powers, this ruling makes obvious that those powers don't supercede all, including fairness and due process.

And the NFLPA never agreed to the imposed standards after the Ray Rice fiasco, those terms were never collectively bargained. So I think that also gives the NFLPA another avenue to pursue. And the NFL being called out in court for "violating the CBA" opens up a huge can of worms.

If the NFLPA is competent at all, they will use these findings in their favor. Not just for Zeke, but for all players.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
"Jabberwocky"

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Haven't read that since HS. Thanks for the memory and TY for remembering this genius poem transcending time.