Does the idea of drafting another quarterback in the first round entice you at all?

D4KADON

Reaction score
It’s not a knock on our quarterback. I’m genuinely asking.

I like Dak but the idea completely starting over with McCarthy is an enticing option for me. I’m good either way but I wanted to get a room temperature of the board

John813

Reaction score
If it's leaked that they aren't sold on Dak, then sure.

Eason, Love or Fromm(in that order) would be fine with me.

But if they re-sign Dak to a 6 year 200mil contract, for example, it would be a head scratcher to then draft another one so high.

quickccc

Reaction score
No.
No 1st round consideration when we have our own Jimmy Grappalo version to build around enough to get to the Super Bowl.
Stephen just flat needs to make that happen.. vs this usual Deadline makes deal philosophy.

Scotman

Reaction score
The only way this works for me is if someone picked up Dak on a tag and send us two 1st round picks...one of them high. Then you would have the ammunition to select a QB and potentially even grab a DT. But I don't think that's a likely scenario.

But with our pick at 17? Not unless the first 16 passed or something.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they tag Prescott, they just about have to go for a QB unless they pick up a FA. And the top 3 are probably gone in the first 6 picks.

The riskiest move would be to try and trade up for Tua, the blue chipper that won't need to play in 2020. It would take a lot since MIA is looking at him as their 2021 QB1. But what a luxury, let him clipboard it and learn from the HC and OC his rookie season and let Big Mike prep him as he did Rodgers. However, that might put MIA in the Lawrence sweepstakes for 2021 and what's a year? They could prepare the team for his coming.

Doing that sends the message that this is not our year and the QB is auditioning for that job with another team. It could be a message to some of these players to coast as well.

But you know, doing that is a win-win for Booger. It's got that gamble element that he likes but the message is he's going for the gold and not settling for silver and paying it with gold.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Absolutely..

If I can get Herbert I’ll be happy because he is a solid risk reward.

He’s the most talented QB in this draft and just looks like the modern day prototype.

Then we could spend money on defenders in FA.

If we get a quality cheap QB, MM coaches at a high level, and a legit defense then we have the recipe for a championship.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Whoever it is better get 5 years of accident forgiveness like Dak has, assuming they're not a complete dud
Dak was a 4th round pick that significantly outperformed his contract, only getting paid $4 miliiom total and was hated by plenty from day 1. New QB gets zero accident forgiveness, especially if they are taken in the first round.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Boggles my mind how some fans think we can land a better option with such certainty, and shows zero concern on this mediocre DL. At best mediocre. Prescott has played at a high level for 4 straight seasons, missing zero games and getting paid nothing. It's ridiculous to assume he doesn't deserve to be paid. If the FO doesn't retain him, they're idiots.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Only QB I would move up to take would be Joe Burrow. The move up on that would be too costly

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dak was a 4th round pick that significantly outperformed his contract, only getting paid $4 miliiom total and was hated by plenty from day 1. New QB gets zero accident forgiveness, especially if they are taken in the first round.
And watch the turnaround in support for the new guy. Being an early pick - he'll take heavy fire.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
It’s not a knock on our quarterback. I’m genuinely asking.

I like Dak but the idea completely starting over with McCarthy is an enticing option for me. I’m good either way but I wanted to get a room temperature of the board

No. Not at all.

Taking a first round QB means this team will be inclined to run him out there. While the argument here at the Barco-lounger coaching hall of fame is clear people here do not believe in the talent this team has. Yet you hear over and over from some very influential past players and current and past coaches this team has the talent to win it all. The disappointment factor ends up causing this to be the sour grapes attitude we see here from fans.

So what this fandome is saying when they suggest a first round QB is to ignore the talent here and allow it to age as you get your new guy up to speed. How many years will that take?

I find that mindset the same as "I'll take my ball and go home if we don't do it my way."

This team is closer than the remote control head coaches, talent scouts, and GM's on this board think.

This jettison of the current team over a rookie unknown - and I will remind so many here also rail on the idea of a first round draft choice QB because he will coast too much before he gets acclimated - the idea of scuttling the team now for a "what if future" is the same stuff you all gripe about Jerry when he runs off emotions and not uses the talent acquisition staff who are experts to decide.

This horse has to be ridden, or break up the team.

And if it is break up the team, then why hire McCarthy? Garrett would have been just fine building a losing record for the sake of a QB pipe dream.

D4KADON

Reaction score
Boggles my mind how some fans think we can land a better option with such certainty, and shows zero concern on this mediocre DL. At best mediocre. Prescott has played at a high level for 4 straight seasons, missing zero games and getting paid nothing. It's ridiculous to assume he doesn't deserve to be paid. If the FO doesn't retain him, they're idiots.

No one is saying that here. Relax. It’s just a nature of the business and shouldn’t perceive as a knock on Prescott

it’s ok to like Prescott but still think about the alternative in the draft

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It would not be my first choice. My preference would be for us to target a QB in the 2nd round to the 3rd. Ideally, I would like to see us land Fromm, as I believe he is a 1st round talent and perhaps the best fit of any of the QBs in this draft for the WCO. Also, perhaps, the most ready to come in and play in the NFL game. However, this is contigent upon what we decide to do with Dak and his contract. If our intention is to move on because of the circumstances around signing Dak, then yes, go spend a 1st round pick. I'm good with it. If not, then I'm inclinded to spend that pick elsewhere.

That's just my opinion.