Does this team really want a good running attack?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
of course the team wants a good running attack, but in lieu, CeeDee Lamb is your running attack.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I am not necessarily disagreeing, but if you pass to run, and then you are not able to run, then defenses will just flood the passing lanes and drop into coverage. you have to be able to run.
Not really.

Good defenses just play 7 in coverage regardless.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Does this team really want a good running attack?​

Nathan-Fillion-reaction-gif.gif

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Last game was the best the run game has looked in a while. I think Pollard needs more draw plays.
Can't with you here.. I hate the draw play.. especially when the line is gittin whupped which has been the case more than I would like to see this season. I do think we underutilize the QB draw down close. When we spread people out down close a lot of times the middle opens up and I think Dak could score easily if he takes off decisively.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind what the Cowboys wanted out of the running game is far more than what they got. But it's good enough to keep defenses on their toes.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Pretty simple every team should want to help their QB, and this is one of the easiest ways, a sound OL is at the top! With that said for this team, would this team rather see the ball in Daks hands or him handing it off 20 times a game, and having him throw it less during games??

I'd honestly say they probably feel now and going forward that they want the ball in Daks hands. It's good he's taking off and running, so I guess that's a part of the run game in itself. What are your thoughts on this ..?
The Cowboys top draft priorities have to be running back and linebacker. That much is clear.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Pretty simple every team should want to help their QB, and this is one of the easiest ways, a sound OL is at the top! With that said for this team, would this team rather see the ball in Daks hands or him handing it off 20 times a game, and having him throw it less during games??

I'd honestly say they probably feel now and going forward that they want the ball in Daks hands. It's good he's taking off and running, so I guess that's a part of the run game in itself. What are your thoughts on this ..?
Well we had 468 rushing attempts in 2023 for an average of 27.5 attempts per game. I know it does not feel that way, due to the lack of success, but on paper it appears we were committed.

I am sure a lot of these run plays came in our blowout wins. So the quality of running is a bigger concern than the commitment.

We ran the ball more than 18 NFL teams. 8 out of the playoff teams ran the ball more frequently than us, 9 ran for more yards and 10 of the playoff teams had a higher yards per carry.

I believe it is more the OLine than the RB. An average RB can succeed with a good OLine. A great RB struggles with a poor OLine. We need to go to RB by committee and save move money and spend it on the OLine.

shabazz

Reaction score
I really feel like going out and getting Derrick Henry would've put this team over the top.
I'd have been willing to risk it, lol.....he has been a proven DIFFERENCE maker.....and that's what's needed in the playoffs to stop being one dimensional.

Stop Ceedee and you stop the Cowboys....straight up

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We'll find out for sure in the next NFL Draft if the Cowboys want a good running attack or not. I'm reasonably confident that they'll draft a RB with the ability to power the ball in a fashion that Ezekiel Elliott did as a rookie for the Cowboys. That's the element that's been sorely missing since he was let go from this team. Pollard is doing a good job of performing in the way that he does, although, his ability to gain the tough yards in the middle of teams with a strong DL in the middle have been far from ideal. Whether Luepke proves to be that guy or not remains to be proven.