Does this team really want a good running attack?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Hey hey hey i'm not mad at ya man, I would love to see something different and things actually work and can get us far in the playoffs. With that said, I just hope we block well, execute well etc! Hey i'm happy at the possibilities of what you're saying!!
Here is the thing...

San Fran used a play that Detroit used to score a touchdown like and hour and a half before playing us. Same play. Different team in different city at different time but same day.

If coaches dont have a bunch of plays that they drew up themselves or have seen from watching other teams, that are easily explainable to the QB and a couple of WR's that can be executed on the fly next series the team has the ball....then I dont believe that its a billion dollar industry and people are putting in 14 hour days to keep high paying jobs.

Every coach should have quite a few plays that have never been seen on film from their current years team that the QB and WR's can execute...especially in the Playoffs. And no...dont try and sell me on the players need weeks of training for timing. There are tons of plays that can be drawn up for PROFESSIONAL athletes on the fly....just like backyard football. Its why you see the computers on the sideline in players hands....next time they run the play...go to this whole/zone/gap in the defense.

I see teams copying the Miami Dolphins offense all over the NFL this year. Every coach should have multiple plays from other teams if they arent creative enough to draw up the plays themselves. Or...I dont believe this is real and coaches are putting in 14 hour days.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Need to get him involved early, have him go off in the playoffs and USE him during the season as well
I think the problem is he just isnt that good though. Hes a great special teams player and a solid gadget guy, but he's 27 years old about to finish season 2 of his NFL career. It's getting to that point where the odds of him getting significant snaps in a game is diminishing fast.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think the problem is he just isnt that good though. Hes a great special teams player and a solid gadget guy, but he's 27 years old about to finish season 2 of his NFL career. It's getting to that point where the odds of him getting significant snaps in a game is diminishing fast.
Maybe it's time to find another gadget guy or something?????

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They do want a better more efficient running attack but these coaches don't have the answer in achieving that. If they knew how to get it done with the current players they 100% would make that adjustment. These coaches have failed to figure out how to really get the ground game going with the players they have.

JBS

Reaction score
Here is thing though...

How come baseball is a more polished product in post season? Same with NBA.

How come armies dont just go nuke each other right off the bat?

How come its well known in breakdancing you dont show your best moves until the end?

How come in comedy roasts they dont do their best jokes until the end?

Just give a reasonable answer why Football is different? And explain why Kellen Moore has refused to answer certain questions and stated its because they dont show full hand?

Can you explain without dancing around it or wordsmithing? Because I think my suggestion about teams not showing full hand seems more reasonable than posters who claim that in a multibillion dollar industry that strategy isnt a thing.
First let’s dissect this one at a time. We can eliminate break dancing from this conversation bc I couldn’t care less about break dancing.

How do teams in the nba and mlb sandbag for the postseason? That isn’t true

FanofJerry

Reaction score
First let’s dissect this one at a time. We can eliminate break dancing from this conversation bc I couldn’t care less about break dancing.

How do teams in the nba and mlb sandbag for the postseason? That isn’t true
Youre side-stepping.

You dont want to even consider my main point. Or you want to play dumb.

No one said anyone was sandbagging. But I bet you dont want to answer why San Fran went man on Dallas WR's when they supposedly mostly go zone. Were they sand bagging?

Anyway...I dont feel like having an unreasonable back and forth. Im not saying the team is going to play 60 minutes as a completely different team...which was obvious unless you want to be a devils advocate and gaslight.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Opinions will differ, but mine is:

Want a SB ring? Find a better RB. We won’t win an NFCCG and a SB with our current run game Dak is statistically the most pressured QB in the league, and that’s because nobody fears our run game and Pollard is maybe a B- in pass protection. We all know Dak has had a great year, but in context, it’s even better than it looks on paper due to the pressures. He’s been phenomenal. Should’ve grabbed Derrick Henry as an addition to the back field.

I know the west coast offense trades many aspects of the run with short passing plays, but Walsh/Seifert always had studs at RB1. There are times we need to grind out hard yards on the ground. Pollard isn’t that guy and I’m sure MM’s confidence in his FB took a hit after that goal line fumble. Tough to give the ball to a guy that never touches it in the highest pressure situations.

Still blown away by Pollard going down at the goal line on a high arm tackle. That was just absurd, but he’s been that way since he was in college.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Pretty simple every team should want to help their QB, and this is one of the easiest ways, a sound OL is at the top! With that said for this team, would this team rather see the ball in Daks hands or him handing it off 20 times a game, and having him throw it less during games??

I'd honestly say they probably feel now and going forward that they want the ball in Daks hands. It's good he's taking off and running, so I guess that's a part of the run game in itself. What are your thoughts on this ..?
good question coog , my answer is it doesnt seem like they do.
Or they, big mike just dont know how.
If you asked them, they would say be balanced. but they have not been that.
If dak has a bad game they may run more the next game, but if he passes good , then tend to just pass more and run less and at stupid times , or not very good at it.

It could hamper them in the playoffs

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Here is the thing...even Kellen Moore has said in pressers that teams hold back and dont show their full hand until playoffs.

Yet...everyone on this board says im nuts for suggesting teams hold things back for playoffs.

Which is it?

I think the Offense has some blocking schemes they havent showed for run game. I think the Offense has some plays they havent shown on tape that they think can get chunk yardage. I think the Offense has some razzle dazzle plays if they need them.

I think the Defense has some tricks up their sleeve that they havent shown on tape. Some blitz packages. Some secondary schemes that they hope to confuse QB with.

Sure...they probably dont have a full games worth of plays....but they have a few they can use here and there...and that stuff adds up and can lead to beating teams like San Fran when we are not supposed to beat them.

Sure...some thing might have to pan out of said plays for them to work...but thats why you dont just have one or two plays....you have a multiple that you hope at least a couple work if you need them.

I think Playoffs present a more polished product than regular season in all sports.
it would be risky but smart if they did what you say. Dont know if they do that or not/

JBS

Reaction score
Youre side-stepping.

You dont want to even consider my main point. Or you want to play dumb.

No one said anyone was sandbagging. But I bet you dont want to answer why San Fran went man on Dallas WR's when they supposedly mostly go zone. Were they sand bagging?

Anyway...I dont feel like having an unreasonable back and forth. Im not saying the team is going to play 60 minutes as a completely different team...which was obvious unless you want to be a devils advocate and gaslight.
I asked you a simple question to explain your previous post and you can’t even do it. Forget sandbagging. What are you referencing in the nba and mlb. Of course you don’t want to explain bc you’ve been lambasted by multiple people In here bc your point is stupid and you don’t want to try and defend it. No crap. Derrr

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I remember when people felt that way about guys like Wes Welker and Don Beebe until enough people got hurt and they got their chance to play receiver and lo and behold we found out that they were more than just special teamers. I think it was relatively late into both their careers when it happened too. Point being.. guys can and do get better without any regard to the calendar or trips around the sun. It's time in the system and time on task that garners the improvement.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I asked you a simple question to explain your previous post and you can’t even do it. Forget sandbagging. What are you referencing in the nba and mlb. Of course you don’t want to explain bc you’ve been lambasted by multiple people In here bc your point is stupid and you don’t want to try and defend it. No crap. Derrr
cool

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I remember when people felt that way about guys like Wes Welker and Don Beebe until enough people got hurt and they got their chance to play receiver and lo and behold we found out that they were more than just special teamers. I think it was relatively late into both their careers when it happened too. Point being.. guys can and do get better without any regard to the calendar or trips around the sun. It's time in the system and time on task that garners the improvement.
I agree, and Turpin still could improve his game and become a more regular player. With that said though you have to play the odds game at some point too. For every late bloomer there are 50 others who continue as organizational fodder or find themselves out of the league.

Not saying you cut Turpin tomorrow, the guy possesses an elite level of physical ability so you give him every chance to develop until you're forced to leave him off the active roster. Can't ignore the fact that he hasn't found the field much this year on a team that doesn't have great depth after their top 2 WRs, and he's at an age where we typically see the physical abilities can start to decline. Doesn't help that hes a special teams player for a ST coordinator who really doesn't set up his returner for success very often.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Pretty simple every team should want to help their QB, and this is one of the easiest ways, a sound OL is at the top! With that said for this team, would this team rather see the ball in Daks hands or him handing it off 20 times a game, and having him throw it less during games??

I'd honestly say they probably feel now and going forward that they want the ball in Daks hands. It's good he's taking off and running, so I guess that's a part of the run game in itself. What are your thoughts on this ..?
They are a passing offense now. Bet they would love a running game to closer out games in those under 4 minute drives.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Last game was the best the run game has looked in a while. I think Pollard needs more draw plays.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Better question is what do NFL fans in general want to see? Fans want to see passes. Fans don't want to see RBs go for a couple yards. Fans definitely don't want to see a FB run into the gut for one or two yards unless it is to close out a game or convert a 3rd or 4th down.

Passing provides the better entertainment. Passing sells tickets. When you are in the entertainment business, you give the fans what the fans want, or you see less viewers and empty seats.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No. This is backwards.

Good offenses in today's league throw to open the run. That is true for SF as well, like it or not. They do not get the numbers advantages in the run game that they get without having such terrific receiving talen.t
I am not necessarily disagreeing, but if you pass to run, and then you are not able to run, then defenses will just flood the passing lanes and drop into coverage. you have to be able to run. at times we haven't been able to do that and so less and less players were devouted to stopping the run against us and it hurt our passing game. SF is a great example. they were able to stop our running game with their front 4 effectively dropping 6 or 7 into coverage. same against the bills where about 30 of total 89 yards came in the 4th quarter when game was out of hand.