Dog breed suggestions

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I've been posting in the thread from @Reverend Conehead but it got me thinking that I really miss having a dog. Both of mine died in the last year or so and while I said I don't want another one, I have to admit that I really miss it. I'm strongly considering it now. I've given every dog I've had a great life so I feel like I should continue that.

I'm sure this topic has been posted multiple times before but I am looking for breed suggestions. Mods, please resurrect an old thread if you have one. Every dog I've ever had was a mutt that I rescued so I will likely go that way again, but the breeds still matter because I might go in a different direction this time. I've had a Rhodesian Ridgeback mixed with a Lab, a Doberman / Shepard mix. Most recently a Beagle / Chihuahua mix and a Scottie / Chihuahua mix.

I should add that I like a more relaxed breed like Labs. I don't want a dog that I have to walk 3 times a day to keep it sane.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Basset hound. Not a dog you see around a bunch. Chill dogs and they always look so sad
Another breed I like and another a friend had two of them. I remember his had a lot of ear issues. I'm assuming because of the long, floppy ears?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It depends on your situation. At home or gone a lot? Plan on taking the dog everywhere? Have a backyard? Want a chick magnet? :laugh:

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
It depends on your situation. At home or gone a lot? Plan on taking the dog everywhere? Have a backyard? Want a chick magnet? :laugh:
I work full time but otherwise, I'm at home. I may get to work more from home soon. I don't really take dogs with me when I go somewhere. Have a fenced, but somewhat small backyard. Have a wife so no need for a chick magnet. :grin:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I work full time but otherwise, I'm at home. I may get to work more from home soon. I don't really take dogs with me when I go somewhere. Have a fenced, but somewhat small backyard. Have a wife so no need for a chick magnet. :grin:

Sounds like a small dog is in your range. We have two chihuahua’s who are very dramatic but full of personality. We added a new dog last month, an Alaskan Klee Kai, which is a 12-15lb version of a Siberian Husky.

Let me tell you, if I wasn’t married…….that beautiful puppy would reel em in for me :thumbup:

She is full of energy though, non-stop looking for trouble.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Sounds like a small dog is in your range. We have two chihuahua’s who are very dramatic but full of personality. We added a new dog last month, an Alaskan Klee Kai, which is a 12-15lb version of a Siberian Husky.

Let me tell you, if I wasn’t married…….that beautiful puppy would reel em in for me :thumbup:

She is full of energy though, non-stop looking for trouble.
As I've gotten older, I think I do prefer the smaller breeds. I kind of like a dog that can't kill me. I had to look up the Alaskan Klee Ka. Very cool.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
German Shepherds are the best breed, IMO, but if you don't like hair all over everything you've ever owned and every place you've ever been, maybe GSD isn't for you. You mentioned a Rhodesian Ridgeback. That's another great dog, and much less maintenance. Both breeds are intelligent, loyal, protective beyond belief, and fairly aloof, if you don't want a dog that demands constant attention. Border Collies and Australian Shepherds are great if you want a smaller dog.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
German Shepherds are the best breed, IMO, but if you don't like hair all over everything you've ever owned and every place you've ever been, maybe GSD isn't for you. You mentioned a Rhodesian Ridgeback. That's another great dog, and much less maintenance. Both breeds are intelligent, loyal, protective beyond belief, and fairly aloof, if you don't want a dog that demands constant attention. Border Collies and Australian Shepherds are great if you want a smaller dog.
I've always liked German Shepherds and yes, Rhodesian Ridgebacks are great dogs. I've considered getting another of those but the one I had was over 100 pounds. We've downsized to a 1400 square foot house so it might be too much dog now. Is the Australian Shepherd the Mad Max dog?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've always liked German Shepherds and yes, Rhodesian Ridgebacks are great dogs. I've considered getting another of those but the one I had was over 100 pounds. We've downsized to a 1400 square foot house so it might be too much dog now. Is the Australian Shepherd the Mad Max dog?
No, that was an Australian Cattle Dog. Smaller than the Shepherd, but not much, and certainly not as good looking as the Shepherd, IMO.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have an 864 sq. ft. house, and my GSD was 105 lbs. As long as the dog isn't hyper, you'll be fine. That said, I think the average male Rhody is about 75 lbs., though my father's was probably close to 100.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I have an 864 sq. ft. house, and my GSD was 105 lbs. As long as the dog isn't hyper, you'll be fine. That said, I think the average male Rhody is about 75 lbs., though my father's was probably close to 100.
The vet said mine was a Ridgeback / Lab mix but I always wondered if that was accurate. He pretty much looked like a full blooded Ridgeback with the full ridge on his back, but maybe a larger head than normal. I think the last time he was weighed, he was 105 and he was not overweight. I wonder if he was a mixed with another larger breed. He ended up getting cancer and I had the choice to have him put down or have one of his front legs amputated. I'm a firm believer in putting the dog down if they are going to suffer but the vet convinced me he would still have a good life with only 3 legs. I was skeptical but I went with it. He lived 3-4 more years and was always running around the yard on his 3 legs. They are incredibly athletic dogs.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
My wife's sister just had a litter of Frenchies and she gave us one because she admires how much we care for our dogs.

This little boogie is the funniest monster. Super smart. Crazy tons of personality.
I work at home, but that doesn't mean I'm paying tons of attention to the dogs. I'm working.

The ancient mummy needs constant pee pee walks and I get that. The middle one is a totes lapdog, but he knows his place while I work.
They're both super mellow.

This Frenchie? Just talks and talks and talks and likes what she likes a ton and dislikes what she dislikes a ton.
Not barking, just talking. It's amazingly hilarious. Smart too. Takes to training like yo.

I smile so much with this baby girl... I'm glad we have her.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The vet said mine was a Ridgeback / Lab mix but I always wondered if that was accurate. He pretty much looked like a full blooded Ridgeback with the full ridge on his back, but maybe a larger head than normal. I think the last time he was weighed, he was 105 and he was not overweight. I wonder if he was a mixed with another larger breed. He ended up getting cancer and I had the choice to have him put down or have one of his front legs amputated. I'm a firm believer in putting the dog down if they are going to suffer but the vet convinced me he would still have a good life with only 3 legs. I was skeptical but I went with it. He lived 3-4 more years and was always running around the yard on his 3 legs. They are incredibly athletic dogs.
They have to be athletic. As I'm sure you know, they were bred to hunt lions. Those dogs can fight!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My wife's sister just had a litter of Frenchies and she gave us one because she admires how much we care for our dogs.

This little boogie is the funniest monster. Super smart. Crazy tons of personality.
I work at home, but that doesn't mean I'm paying tons of attention to the dogs. I'm working.

The ancient mummy needs constant pee pee walks and I get that. The middle one is a totes lapdog, but he knows his place while I work.

This Frenchie? Just talks and talks and talks and likes what she likes a ton and dislikes what she dislikes a ton.
Not barking, just talking. It's amazingly hilarious. Smart too. Takes to training like yo.

Cute dogs, but I feel bad for them, and any pug nosed breed.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score

Nice! I've never had that breed.