Dolphins looking to trade up from 18th into top 10. Should Cowboys answer?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
2021 NFL Draft Rumors: Dolphins looking to trade up for second top-ten pick?

usa_today_12589570.0.jpg

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

The Miami Dolphins have already been busy in the 2021 NFL Draft, trading out of the third position, back to the 12th spot, then back up to the sixth-overall pick. Rumors over the past few days have the Dolphins considering another trade, with the common though that Miami could trade back to add additional picks either this year or in 2022. Now, however, there is some speculation that Miami could be looking to trade up, but not from the sixth spot, but rather from their second first-round pick, the 18th-overall selection.

https://www-thephinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2021/4/24/22401377/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-dolphins-looking-to-trade-for-second-top-ten-pick?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16193223977578&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/4/24/22401377/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-dolphins-looking-to-trade-for-second-top-ten-pick

Dolphins currently own the (1st round) 6th, 18th and (2nd round) 50th overall picks (in RED) within the first 2 rounds.

The Cowboys own the (1st round) 10th and (2nd round) 44th overall picks (in GREEN) within the first 2 rounds.

Photo-Marker-Apr252021-001647.jpg

If the Cowboys and Dolphins agreed to make a trade:

Dolphins move up from the 18th pick and get the Cowboys 10th overall pick, the Cowboys would move down 8 spots and get the Dolphins 18th overall pick while also getting the Dolphins 50th overall pick. Those 2 picks (18th & 50th) would equal the trade value (700 points difference) to trade away the 10th overall pick to the Dolphins. That would move the Cowboys down 8 spots in the 1st round, but it would also give the Cowboys another mid-2nd round pick, thus giving them 2 picks in every round (2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds) while still having a pick in the teens in the 1st round (Cowboys have snatched up great players in the teens spot in the 1st round in the past).

Photo-Marker-Apr252021-001322.jpg

Would you rather stay put and only have 1 pick to use in each first 2 rounds, or would you make the trade down while still getting a 1st round pick in the teens while grabbing an extra mid-2nd round pick, thus securing 2 picks in each round (2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds)?

Lots of holes to fill on this team, especially Defense.

What say you? Should the Cowboys trade down a few picks in the 1st round while gaining an extra mid-2nd round pick or stay pat?

:starspin:

:popcorn:
Only if Surtain/Horne are off the board. It is clear the Cowboys want a cornerback. I would want them to trade down and get 3 front seven players. Collins, Phillips, Paye, Baremore, Tryon, Davis, ect. Three of those guys would improve our front seven.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
2021 NFL Draft Rumors: Dolphins looking to trade up for second top-ten pick?

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

The Miami Dolphins have already been busy in the 2021 NFL Draft, trading out of the third position, back to the 12th spot, then back up to the sixth-overall pick. Rumors over the past few days have the Dolphins considering another trade, with the common though that Miami could trade back to add additional picks either this year or in 2022. Now, however, there is some speculation that Miami could be looking to trade up, but not from the sixth spot, but rather from their second first-round pick, the 18th-overall selection.

https://www-thephinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2021/4/24/22401377/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-dolphins-looking-to-trade-for-second-top-ten-pick?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16193223977578&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/4/24/22401377/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-dolphins-looking-to-trade-for-second-top-ten-pick

Dolphins currently own the (1st round) 6th, 18th and (2nd round) 50th overall picks (in RED) within the first 2 rounds.

The Cowboys own the (1st round) 10th and (2nd round) 44th overall picks (in GREEN) within the first 2 rounds.

If the Cowboys and Dolphins agreed to make a trade:

Dolphins move up from the 18th pick and get the Cowboys 10th overall pick, the Cowboys would move down 8 spots and get the Dolphins 18th overall pick while also getting the Dolphins 50th overall pick. Those 2 picks (18th & 50th) would equal the trade value (700 points difference) to trade away the 10th overall pick to the Dolphins. That would move the Cowboys down 8 spots in the 1st round, but it would also give the Cowboys another mid-2nd round pick, thus giving them 2 picks in every round (2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds) while still having a pick in the teens in the 1st round (Cowboys have snatched up great players in the teens spot in the 1st round in the past).

Would you rather stay put and only have 1 pick to use in each first 2 rounds, or would you make the trade down while still getting a 1st round pick in the teens while grabbing an extra mid-2nd round pick, thus securing 2 picks in each round (2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds)?

Lots of holes to fill on this team, especially Defense.

What say you? Should the Cowboys trade down a few picks in the 1st round while gaining an extra mid-2nd round pick or stay pat?

:starspin:

:popcorn:

It just amazes me that every time some sportswriter passes along a rumor or speculation someone here starts a thread about it. I'll bet if some sportswriter wrote that he heard the Cowboys were going to put a port-a-poddie next to their table at the draft someone here would start a thread asking if that is a good idea.

fivetwos

Reaction score
A pretty good player somehow fell to 17 last year

Drafting at 18 isn't a problem if you pick the right guy.

I personally think the best value starts around there and stops around 60 in this draft.

It's all about avoiding the landmines. There WILL be busts in that top 10. Always is.

Western

Reaction score
The Phins want Jaelan Phillips.
They realize that Giants (#11), Vikings (#14), and Patriots (#16) are all eyeing Phillips.
Meanwhile Dallas at #10, eyes a freakin' CB that is passive non-impactful island-player that plays 25 yards from the line of scrimmage.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If I’m going down 8 spots in rd 1 I’m losing out in most players with a rd 1 grade

if they’re coming up 8 spots it is for a premium player

therefore I’ll want a rd 2 and rd 3 pick in addition to 18. They have a lot of picks

but yes, I’d love to do it

Yep!
Just a two? No.
A two and a three? Yes.

I think Surtain is a safe stud. And while he has pedigree, he alone isn't going to make this defense better if we don't improve the pass rush. Even the great Deion Sanders got torched by Michael Irvin, who was a tortoise compared to Deion's hare-like speed. But that's because the Great Wall of Dallas gave Aikman protection, and teams had to worry about Emmitt.

Translation: without a pass rush and with a smart quarterback and a receiver who runs precise routes, Deion becomes Meion or Sheion. And Surtain is no Deion.

Therefore, get two, preferably three for the price of one.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't understand why people keep saying this....its not great at the top? There are some great prospects at the top. Which is why the Dolphins want to get out of the 18th spot. Terrible spot to be in.
Bro, Morris ClaiBURNED says, "Hello!"

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It just amazes me that every time some sportswriter passes along a rumor or speculation someone here starts a thread about it. I'll bet if some sportswriter wrote that he heard the Cowboys were going to put a port-a-poddie next to their table at the draft someone here would start a thread asking if that is a good idea.
Yet, here you are. Right on cue. :cool:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Dolphins have to give more imo. Dallas should get back 18, 50, 81 for 10, 115 or no deal.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I want to draft 10 and then I want to get back into the top 20

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Do the Dolphins have a quality D-lineman or safety they're willing to part with? If they would give us a quality defensive player, I would swap first-round picks with them. But I'd doubt they would do that.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
No. Zip, zero, nada.
They want 2 top ten picks because they want quality. They get silver dollars and we get a pocket full of pennies.
Thanks but no thanks. I want that #10 pick.

This. I understand one silver dollar isn't going to put this team over the top, but we have to eventually start getting silver dollars at some point, if we aren't going to do it in FA.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
If I’m going down 8 spots in rd 1 I’m losing out in most players with a rd 1 grade

if they’re coming up 8 spots it is for a premium player

therefore I’ll want a rd 2 and rd 3 pick in addition to 18. They have a lot of picks

but yes, I’d love to do it
Agree. If they are calling you need value that is “above chart” and you need to see some of your coveted talent sliding. At least get their 5th rounder too.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Do the Dolphins have a quality D-lineman or safety they're willing to part with? If they would give us a quality defensive player, I would swap first-round picks with them. But I'd doubt they would do that.
We need rookie contracts if we are gonna pay the guys we have and wanna keep.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Imagine getting the best defensive player in the draft, Jaelen Phillips, and getting more picks...

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Is there a Ware to be had at 10?

to be honest, nobody thought that Ware would become a Future hall of famer.. anybody here who says they knew are lying. Even Parcells wanted to take Spears at 11... That being said who knows if Parsons won’t be the best pick at 10..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Phins want Jaelan Phillips.
They realize that Giants (#11), Vikings (#14), and Patriots (#16) are all eyeing Phillips.
Meanwhile Dallas at #10, eyes a freakin' CB that is passive non-impactful island-player that plays 25 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Lol just read this after posting.

If Phillips has no long term issues then I don’t know what we are doing drafting a freaking corner.