Dolphins looking to trade up from 18th into top 10. Should Cowboys answer?

NumOneQB

Reaction score
No. You need an impact player on defense and have an opportunity to draft the best defensive player in 2020. Just stay put and take Surtain.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I would because this draft isn't great at the top but has tremendous value mid first to end of the 4th round.

There are 3 excellent defensive picks that I know of and possibly more that could very well be available at #10 but gone if we wait......LB Micah Parsons, CB Surtain and CB Horn.
Don't know about you, but I don't want a bunch of also-rans, we have that already. Last year's garbage defense is proof. We need the quality if we're ever going to climb up out of the hole.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
There are 3 excellent defensive picks that I know of and possibly more that could very well be available at #10 but gone if we wait......LB Micah Parsons, CB Surtain and CB Horn.
Don't know about you, but I don't want a bunch of also-rans, we have that already. Last year's garbage defense is proof. We need the quality if we're ever going to climb up out of the hole.
I wouldn't draft Parsons in the top 20. He isn't my top rated LB or even top 3.

Surtain and Horn are worthy of top 10 picks in this draft because I don't think the top of the draft is great. Doesn't mean Dallas can't find really good prospects but I think the real value is mid first to 4th round. Tons of great players and if Surtain, Horn, Pitts, Sewell and Slater are somehow gone i much prefer to trade down and pick up extra picks to help fix the defense.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
If we can grab Parsons at 18, that would be a win.

I think Parsons would be a win no matter when you take him. Parsons is a prime talent LB. For a team that's as weak against the run as we are, it's hard to go wrong with a top LB.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Roger Staubach (drafted 10th round) says HI!

Calvin Hill (drafted 24th overall) says HI!

Duane Thomas (drafted 23rd overall) says HI!

Billy Joe DuPree (drafted 20th overall) says HI!

Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson (drafted 18th overall) says HI!

Harvey Martin (drafted 53rd overall) says HI!

Drew Pearson (undrafted 1973) says HI!

Larry Bethea (drafted 28th overall) says HI!

Nate Newton (undrafted 1983) says HI!

Mark Tuinei (undrafted 1983) says HI!

Kevin Gogan (drafted 206th overall) says HI!

Mark Stepnoski (drafted 53rd overall) says HI!

Emmitt Smith (drafted 17th overall) says HI!

Erik Williams (drafted 70th overall) says HI!

Kevin Smith (drafted 17th overall) says HI!

Robert Jones (drafted 24th overall) says HI!

Larry Allen (drafted 46th overall) says HI!

Tony Romo (undrafted 2003) says HI!

Jason Witten (drafted 69th overall) says HI!

DeMarco Murray (drafted 71st overall) says HI!

Dez Bryant (drafted 24th overall) says HI!

Dak Prescott (drafted 135th overall) says HI!

CeeDee Lamb (drafted 17th overall) says HI!

Etc, etc, etc...Apologies for clearly leaving many more Cowboys stud players (Pro Bowlers, All Pros & HOF'ers) out.
:flagwave:

Damn.

Murder she wrote
murder she wrote.

:eek::eek::eek:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I wouldn't draft Parsons in the top 20. He isn't my top rated LB or even top 3.

Surtain and Horn are worthy of top 10 picks in this draft because I don't think the top of the draft is great. Doesn't mean Dallas can't find really good prospects but I think the real value is mid first to 4th round. Tons of great players and if Surtain, Horn, Pitts, Sewell and Slater are somehow gone i much prefer to trade down and pick up extra picks to help fix the defense.

There's only 1 other LB that can really compete with Parsons for top LB IMO and that's Koramoah from Notre Dame. They're both top talents.

Cebrin

Reaction score
2021 NFL Draft Rumors: Dolphins looking to trade up for second top-ten pick?

usa_today_12589570.0.jpg

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

The Miami Dolphins have already been busy in the 2021 NFL Draft, trading out of the third position, back to the 12th spot, then back up to the sixth-overall pick. Rumors over the past few days have the Dolphins considering another trade, with the common though that Miami could trade back to add additional picks either this year or in 2022. Now, however, there is some speculation that Miami could be looking to trade up, but not from the sixth spot, but rather from their second first-round pick, the 18th-overall selection.

https://www-thephinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2021/4/24/22401377/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-dolphins-looking-to-trade-for-second-top-ten-pick?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16193223977578&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/4/24/22401377/2021-nfl-draft-rumors-dolphins-looking-to-trade-for-second-top-ten-pick

Dolphins currently own the (1st round) 6th, 18th and (2nd round) 50th overall picks (in RED) within the first 2 rounds.

The Cowboys own the (1st round) 10th and (2nd round) 44th overall picks (in GREEN) within the first 2 rounds.

Photo-Marker-Apr252021-001647.jpg

If the Cowboys and Dolphins agreed to make a trade:

Dolphins move up from the 18th pick and get the Cowboys 10th overall pick, the Cowboys would move down 8 spots and get the Dolphins 18th overall pick while also getting the Dolphins 50th overall pick. Those 2 picks (18th & 50th) would equal the trade value (700 points difference) to trade away the 10th overall pick to the Dolphins. That would move the Cowboys down 8 spots in the 1st round, but it would also give the Cowboys another mid-2nd round pick, thus giving them 2 picks in every round (2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds) while still having a pick in the teens in the 1st round (Cowboys have snatched up great players in the teens spot in the 1st round in the past).

Photo-Marker-Apr252021-001322.jpg

Would you rather stay put and only have 1 pick to use in each first 2 rounds, or would you make the trade down while still getting a 1st round pick in the teens while grabbing an extra mid-2nd round pick, thus securing 2 picks in each round (2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds)?

Lots of holes to fill on this team, especially Defense.

What say you? Should the Cowboys trade down a few picks in the 1st round while gaining an extra mid-2nd round pick or stay pat?

:starspin:

:popcorn:
tenor.gif

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
There's only 1 other LB that can really compete with Parsons for top LB IMO and that's Koramoah from Notre Dame. They're both top talents.
That's your opinion. Parsons is maybe the most athletic LB and has potential but he isn't better than a guy like Bolton right now. Plus he has some character issues that also drops him down my board besides his poor coverage and poor diagnosing plays. Dallas doesn't need more LBs that get fooled by misdirection and other plays or getting picked on in coverage. If I'm drafting a LB top 10 he needs to be able to do everything at a very good level

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Who's 'talking also-rans'?

I think the idea of trading down is based on the fact that our defense (as you allude to) is garbage and needs quantity as well as quality. One way to address that is to pick the highest rated player, or alternatively trade down and look at a collective improvement playing players to their strengths, which is from the Richard Sherman interview is the way that Quinn tends to play.

An example of trading down from 10 could result in a haul of: Newsome, Holland and McNeil (or JOK/Bolton if you prefer a LB).

The reasons these would fall is that they are limited in the formations they could play, or have a 'hole' in their game....Holland hasnt the size/body to play SS in the Slot (well fine we'd be using him as a FS) and McNeil isnt a pass rusher (but does collapse the pocket and gives space to our other pass-rushers).

Just to note, ive no problem picking at 10, but can see that IN THIS DRAFT, we are equally matched to trading down.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That's your opinion. Parsons is maybe the most athletic LB and has potential but he isn't better than a guy like Bolton right now. Plus he has some character issues that also drops him down my board besides his poor coverage and poor diagnosing plays. Dallas doesn't need more LBs that get fooled by misdirection and other plays or getting picked on in coverage. If I'm drafting a LB top 10 he needs to be able to do everything at a very good level

Spot on....imagine Parsons with Jaylon, it'll be the Wacky Racers 2.

Cant see us looking at LB in early rounds (though I like a hard hitting Mike like Bolton), with our defensive holes i'm sure the FO are going to start LVE and Smith and pray on health and ability respectively.

sjmike

Reaction score
Only way I this is if both corners are gone. Then I move back and take the best defender (JOK, Barmore...) and get Grant and the best corner left in the second round

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Only way I this is if both corners are gone. Then I move back and take the best defender (JOK, Barmore...) and get Grant and the best corner left in the second round

Ive no problem with JOK and Barmore, however, these both play a position (and have qualities) we already possess. If we weren't in Win Now mode i'd agree on either, however, if we did we'd be doing little to improve the secondary and depending on which report you read we'd still be lacking in stopping the run.

This defense need talent now and we need to address critical weaknesses.....even if that means drafting BPA, in positions of immediate need.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
If I'm Miami - I'm sitting in a great position with the number of picks this year.
The Dolphins need all the help they can get Tug - now....

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Spot on....imagine Parsons with Jaylon, it'll be the Wacky Racers 2.

Cant see us looking at LB in early rounds (though I like a hard hitting Mike like Bolton), with our defensive holes i'm sure the FO are going to start LVE and Smith and pray on health and ability respectively.
I'm higher on Jaylon than most but you're completely right. They are similar type players.

I really like Bolton, he can do everything you need from a LB day 1. His size is the only knock but it doesn't matter to me cause he is just a good football player.

You also make a great point that the front office most likely doesn't draft LB high cause of Leighton and Jaylon. I think Surratt would be great in the 3rd or a few others that could develop into full time starters but contribute right away.