Dolphins | Team to meet with Ahmad Brooks

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Dolphins | Team to meet with A. Brooks
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:58:57 -0700

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins, considering taking Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks in the July 13 supplemental draft, will meet with him Monday, June 19, and attend his workout Thursday, June 22.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
This doesn't surprise me.
49ers are planning to go to his workout and fly him out for a personal workout as well.

I think all the "known" 3-4 teams are conducting their due diligence on this guy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
49ers are planning to go to his workout and fly him out for a personal workout as well.

I think all the "known" 3-4 teams are conducting their due diligence on this guy.
I hope we do too. This kid can be a difference maker IMO.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile said:

not if he gets suspended for drugs he cant

I'm curious as to how you (or anyone) thinks he can really help...he isnt going to replace Bradie James or Akin Ayodele, and he definitely isnt replacing Ware or Carpenter

David

soccerbud

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

I'm curious as to how you (or anyone) thinks he can really help...he isnt going to replace Bradie James or Akin Ayodele, and he definitely isnt replacing Ware or Carpenter

David

then again, you can never have too many serviceable LB's in a 3-4 scheme

but that kid is not worth his troubles imo
but since al groh and parcells are buddies, i am sure parcells will have a 1st hand knowledge of brooks

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David
Because I'm allowed to have my own opinions Dave, even if they chap other people's butts.

This kid is big, fast, and athletic. If his head is on straight and we take a chance on him I'm going to be fine with it.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Que up the drug thug machine.. :rolleyes: this KID will NEVER amount to anything :rolleyes:

parchy

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David
Since when is everybody on the Bradie James train without checking the engine cart? The guy had a great season last year, but it was the first time in his career that he wasn't spotty, inconsistent and just generally a flake. And it's not like he didn't show glimpses of that same ol Bradie last year either.

I know we'd all like to think that BJ is a full-time, 100% starter, but you can't ignore his first two seasons because of his last one. He has likely turned the corner, but better safe than sorry. I think bringing Brooks in to compete with his good old buddy Kai Parham in TC would be a welcome challenge for the inside guys. If they're secure in their jobs, then they should have no problem... let them prove they still have it this summer.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Hostile said:

I agree we should take a look .
It cost nothing to take a look .
I think if we do not show interest then that would say a whole lot about what Groh had to say about him...

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
parchy said:
Since when is everybody on the Bradie James train without checking the engine cart? The guy had a great season last year, but it was the first time in his career that he wasn't spotty, inconsistent and just generally a flake. And it's not like he didn't show glimpses of that same ol Bradie last year either.

I know we'd all like to think that BJ is a full-time, 100% starter, but you can't ignore his first two seasons because of his last one. He has likely turned the corner, but better safe than sorry. I think bringing Brooks in to compete with his good old buddy Kai Parham in TC would be a welcome challenge for the inside guys. If they're secure in their jobs, then they should have no problem... let them prove they still have it this summer.

Where I can completely see where you're coming from, Bradie James is young, and doing what young players are supposed to do...imrove. Parcells said himself Bradie is much more suited to play ILB in a 3-4 than play 4-3. His first two years he spend spelling the OLB position in a 4-3. So when you factor in his growing experience and position/formation change, not to mention his natural leadership, I think there is a little bit of safety that barring any injury, we can expect good things from Bradie James in the upcoming years...if we extend his contract.

parchy

Reaction score
NextGenBoys said:
Where I can completely see where you're coming from, Bradie James is young, and doing what young players are supposed to do...imrove. Parcells said himself Bradie is much more suited to play ILB in a 3-4 than play 4-3. His first two years he spend spelling the OLB position in a 4-3. So when you factor in his growing experience and position/formation change, not to mention his natural leadership, I think there is a little bit of safety that barring any injury, we can expect good things from Bradie James in the upcoming years...if we extend his contract.
There is no doubt that he's improving, and he did have a very nice season last year, but you said it - he's young. He isn't yet to the point where his position is on lock and immune to competition. I'm actually pretty confident that James doesn't have anything to worry about with the young guys behind him, but with so much still unsure about his game (consistency among the concerns), it couldn't hurt to bring in a guy a ton of people had as a first round pick through April. If nobody snatches him up, then Parcells could have two young, very highly touted backup 3-4 ILBs who are familiar with the scheme and pushing for playing time. As we've seen time and time again in the NFL, being pushed from behind is the ultimate test of a player's mettle. If James has got it, he should prove it this summer with his job in the distant balance.

There is no question that James is a penned in starter, but as Torrin Tucker proved last August, a bad training camp opens up a whole bunch of doors for the folks behind him. And with how little the Cowboys are really risking (or paying) by bringing this guy on board, it would be nice to have a couple possible answers to walk through those doors.

50cent

Reaction score
We can't forget that its not a given that BJ will re-up with us following the season. IMO, it wouldn't hurt to grab another guy that can play both LBs spots too. The thought just makes me stomach cringe when I think about the what-if situations if one un-named(So i wont jinx him) OLB goes down for some reason. Then what? With the combination of Brooks, Burnett, and Carp that gives us some flexiblilty in case of any injury. I say we put up a 4th and I wouldn't cry if we put up a 3rd!

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
that title was misleading! i thought the phins were looking at aaron brooks the qb...geeze lol

whos this guy they are meeting with any who?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

David

I think last year showed us that if you don't have enough quality LBs you can't run the 3-4 effectively at all.

this is a high risk high reward opportunity. I'd be happy if we got him with a 4th rounder but certainly no higher than that. if someone wants to give up a day 1 pick for the kid then let them have at him.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
PARCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUDE YOUR SIGNATURE THATS OASIS GAS PANIC! MY FAVORITE BAND IN THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD! are you mad fer it to? ha

VACowboy

Reaction score
If Brooks is healthy he can flat play, and I expect him to be healthy and in-shape for his workout. I agree 100% with Silverbear. It speaks volumes for Brooks that the University is hosting his workout and that Groh will be there. No way either happens if Groh doesn't think Brooks is a good guy and a great player.

I'd give up a 4th if he's in shape on the 22nd and Groh has good things to say.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
If Brooks is healthy he can flat play, and I expect him to be healthy and in-shape for his workout. I agree 100% with Silverbear. It speaks volumes for Brooks that the University is hosting his workout and that Groh will be there. No way either happens if Groh doesn't think Brooks is a good guy and a great player.

I'd give up a 4th if he's in shape on the 22nd and Groh has good things to say.

If Al Groh had very good things to say about this guy, I'd probably give up a 2nd for him. I do believe that this player is more gifted then any LB that came out last year. There is considerable risk in giving a pick up that high for him but this a straight out risk reward type deal here. I don't believe a 4th or maybe even a 3rd is going to get it done for him considering our position. If you really want him and your thinking seriously about it, I think you probably have to give up the second. JMO