Dom Capers 3-4 Blittsburgh Defense

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Anyone questioning Dom as a D-Coordinator doesn't know football. I think he and Norv Turner have a lot in common. Both are great coordinators but not good head coaches.

See article below:

Dom Capers is responsible for the creation of the Pittsburgh steel-curtain-like defense. It utilizes the 3-4 alignment with 4 roaming linebackers. This blend of different blitzing tactics and great talent among the players, this defense has put Dom Capers among the few great minds of professional football. It also earned Pittsburgh a trip to the Super Bowl, as well as a new head coaching job for Dom Capers with the expansion Carolina Panthers who stunned the football world last year by overtaking the perennial winners San Francisco 49ers.

"We present a kind of unique problem to the offense in that those four guys [the four linebackers] are all going to be a full-time deal for a back," said the former defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers LeBeau "It’s very difficult for an offensive coach to design a protection. The back’s got to block one of those guys, and it becomes a chess match as to what protection they’re in as to what pressure we’re bringing."

Normally, if you live by the blitz, you die by it," said John Teerlinck, former Detroit

Lions assistant head coach. "But Pittsburgh has the people in the secondary to run the receivers. You’d be hard-pressed to find a better secondary in football."

When they move into their dime defense with six defensive backs and four down linemen, the Steelers used their hard-hitting defensive backs close to the line of scrimmage in the slot. That way, they can either cover the wide receiver or they are close enough, fast enough and big enough to blitz the quarterback.

Thus, when the Steelers go into their dime defense, the offense faces a perplexing combination that looks like this: the middle linebacker moves to the right outside rush spot and the right linebacker moves to the the left linebacker position with two down linemen between them. The left linebacker moves to the middle linebacker position. A Corner and a safety are near the line of scrimmage, in the slot positions. Any or all of them can blitz.

They challenge you," Houston coach Jeff Fisher said, "challenge offenses mentally and physically with their ability to provide different links and their ability to pressure the quaterback."

"Pittsburgh," Teerlinck said, "has every blitz known to man."

And they use them, blitzing more than any team in the NFL. Against Miami, they blitzed Dan Marino 39 times-and not only lived to tell about it, but sacked him an uncharacteristic four time, intercepted him once and limited him to one touchdown pass in Pittsburgh’s overtime victory.

Until then, the NFL had an unwritten rule-don’t blitz Marino.

"When’s the last time you’ve seen Marino like that?" defensive end Ray Seals asked. "He was jittery out there. We were bringing it as a team."

They lived by the blitz, but some predicted they would die by it.

"Sooner or later, it’s going to catch up with them," Cleveland defensive end Rob Burnett predicted in mid-December. "That style of defense is going to catch up to them. It’s going to be their end."

There is debate as to whether or not it was the style or the execution, but the Steelers were blitzing when San Diego’s Stan Humphries tossed a 43-yard touchdown pass to Tony Martin with five minutes left in the AFC championship game to stun favored Pittsburgh, 17-13.

Linebacker Chad Brown was inches from Humphries as he threw it and he knocked the quarterback down.

But the Steelers were in a three-deep zone play, a defense that is designed to stop the deep pass. Martin simply blew past Tim McKyer, who bit on a fake.

LeBeau scoffs at any suggestion that blitzes finally caught up with the Steelers.

"There are no absolutes, no 100 percents in any competitive endeavor," he said. "To say that every defense we run is going o be successful every snap, that‘s not so. But we think that the success that defense had last year would say would say that we’re on the right track."

LeBeau noted that a team that allows 5.7 yard for every pass attempt is doing a good job. Whenever the Steelers used their pressure defense, it permitted a mere 3.3 yards on average in 1994.

"Our pressure defense last year had better numbers that any particular defense that I’ve ever been associated with," LeBeau said. "And I’ve been taking these numbers quite a few years. These were very, very good defenses. We don’t concern ourselves with what someone else may say."

That leaves the rest of the National Football League to ponder this: What if the quaterback-mashing, bone-crushing Pittsburgh defense gets better in 1998?

Hiero

Reaction score
capers or haslett at DC
Norv or fresno state head coach at OC.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
and that was when 10 years ago?

Exactly.

I'm sure I can find an old article touting the praises of the Flex.

There is no question Capers was very innovative, but teams learn, copy and adjust. The NFL is not a static world.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Capers can still probably run a good 3-4. That's all you gotta know.

Get us another OLB so we can actually disguise the rush, then we might be more effective too. You can't hide your 4th rusher when everyone knows its Ware

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
If we are going to be a 3-4 team, I would much rather have Capers as the DC instead of Zimmers, which is why I am on the Capers for DC bandwagon.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Exactly.

I'm sure I can find an old article touting the praises of the Flex.

There is no question Capers was very innovative, but teams learn, copy and adjust. The NFL is not a static world.

Dick LeBeau learned the 3-4 under Capers. For those that are not informed, Pittsburg has a top 10 for the last two years. What's important about that, LeBeau returned to them after a failed Head Coaching stint.

The NFL is not static, so I guess you are saying that offenses adapt. Well guess what, Defenses adapt also. Capers is a good 3-4 D-Coord. To think otherwise is somewhat laughable.

FYI, I don't have to go back many years to find articles touting the 3-4. Look no further than Pitt this year, SD this year or the Pats the last 5 years. Capers can flat out coach on Defense.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
This article seems to have won me over on the Capers to Dallas. We actually take care of three birds with this hire, if it happens. We end up attacking more, use James/Roy/Ware as blitzers more often, and let BP focus on coaching the offense/Oline more.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
This article seems to have won me over on the Capers to Dallas. We actually take care of three birds with this hire, if it happens. We end up attacking more, use James/Roy/Ware as blitzers more often, and let BP focus on coaching the offense/Oline more.

Thats what I like about Capers. His D in Pittsburg and in Carolina where both attacking and confusing type D's. That would bring pressure from anywhere. I'm no Zimmer hater. Put if you are going with the 3-4, then Dom is your man. If we are going back to a 4-3, then we should stick with Zim.

I'll put it this way. If you want a steak you don't go to McDonalds.

If you give a guy like Capers (who likes to attack) a Roy Williams in his prime, a Demarcus Ware in his prime, a Marcus Spears in his prime SIDE BAR(remember in the Sr Bowl last year the D-Coord for Tampa -Monte Kiffen- had Spears playing middle LB and dropping back into coverage, a Chris Canty in his prime, a Terrance Newman in his prime, a Anthony Henry in his prime imagine what he could do.

Ohhhh Myyyyyyy.

If we stay 3-4, how can you not like Dom's track record with attacking Defenses when he's had the talent.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Hiero said:
They don't run the 3-4. I don't think it'd be a fit. He is coming here.
Dom can coach the 4-3 also. He did it in Jax under Coughlin. FYI, they had a good D under Dom.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
He's gonna end up with Coughlin in NY.

Those watching closely - Coughlin hired away a Pitt coach with 3-4 experience and is well down the path there. He has no need for Capers.

We do,

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Nors said:
Those watching closely - Coughlin hired away a Pitt coach with 3-4 experience and is well down the path there. He has no need for Capers.

We do,

His D coordinator is a hot name for a head coaching position...if he goes, Capers will hook up with Coughlin.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Lewis needs his props

Capers is a Cowboy by week end. Too perfect a fit....

Watch the Carolina OC - Stranger things could happen. Henning time!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Nors said:
Lewis needs his props

Well, if Parcells is staying...It would feel a LOT better if he had a few assistants who actually had the guts to challenge him...Henning would be a great addition...especially with the history the two of them have.

Capers...I'll believe it when I see it...and I'll be very happy IF I see it.

Hiero

Reaction score
Nors said:
Lewis needs his props

by week end? Do you know something we dont? Would be surprised to see it happen that quick, unless Zimm was named HC somewhere.