CFZ Don’t judge this team early- either way

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This 2022 Cowboys roster is certainly a young and interesting crew. A ton of rookies and new faces. Lots of questions at OL and WR. Maybe K too. Lots of upside and potential coupled with lots of uncertainty. Only in regular games against NFL starter quality competition can reveal what your team really is.

So here’s my big point: Win or lose Sunday night- blowout or close game- don’t judge this team at the beginning of the season. Give it at least 4-6 games before screaming SB or also saying “we’re going nowhere”. I doubt many will take my advice by I’m throwing it out anyway, :).

So if we win Sunday night keep these thoughts in mind:
  • Be excited. Celebrate.
  • Just remember- it’s 1 of 17.
  • It does not mean we can plan the parade route in February.
  • It does mean every play that worked Sun night will also work for games 2-17.
  • It does not mean if a rookie has a great play or even great game, they are headed to Canton.
  • What worked against Tampa Bay may not against Cincy and vice versa.
If we lose Sunday night just remember:
  • Some great seasons start with a loss.
  • It’s just 1 of 17.
  • It does not mean we suck, and there’s no hope. (Well it might mean we suck but it’s too early to know!)
  • If a rookie or new player has a bad game it doesn’t necessarily mean they will play poorly all year.
  • What didn’t work against Tampa may work against Cincy next week.
BOTTOM LINE: It’s one game. It takes 17 to determine what kind of team we are. That’s why you play them ALL before determining playoff seeds.

Win or lose Sunday I’m going to be glad REAL football is finally here and that we are at beginning of a long season to determine what this team is. Let’s GOooooooooooooo Cowboys!

So no matter what happens, don't overreact.
I'm sure there's no chance of that happening. :muttley:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you still have the WAIT AND SEE attitude if the Bucs dominate the cowboys 27-14?
What if the cowboys lose by 20 or more?
It’s one game. Now if it were game 6 and we’re 2-4, that’s different.

So…What if we win 35-10? Is this team a juggernaut? Or is it possible that Father Time really has caught Brady and the Bucs really aren’t that good? Is a dominant win in game 1 any more convincing than a loss?

The actual truth is none of us knows what a single team is going to be in the NFL this year. How many of us picked the Ben-gals to win the AFC last year? Probably zero.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This 2022 Cowboys roster is certainly a young and interesting crew. A ton of rookies and new faces. Lots of questions at OL and WR. Maybe K too. Lots of upside and potential coupled with lots of uncertainty. Only in regular games against NFL starter quality competition can reveal what your team really is.

So here’s my big point: Win or lose Sunday night- blowout or close game- don’t judge this team at the beginning of the season. Give it at least 4-6 games before screaming SB or also saying “we’re going nowhere”. I doubt many will take my advice by I’m throwing it out anyway, :).

• Be excited. Celebrate.
  • It does not mean if a rookie has a great play or even great game, they are headed to Canton.
  • It’s just 1 of 17.
  • It does not mean we suck, and there’s no hope. (Well it might mean we suck but it’s too early to know!)
  • If a rookie or new player has a bad game it doesn’t necessarily mean they will play poorly all year.
BOTTOM LINE: It’s one game. It takes 17 to determine what kind of team we are. That’s why you play them ALL before determining playoff seeds.

Win or lose Sunday I’m going to be glad REAL football is finally here and that we are at beginning of a long season to determine what this team is. Let’s GOooooooooooooo Cowboys!

OK

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

• Be excited. Celebrate.
  • It’s just 1 of 17.

I have no expectations for the first two games.

But it will be as if Father Christmas was delivering gifts every Sunday at me chapeau in terms of player evaluation.
Wow. Gimme a clipboard and rewind and I am a happy clapper.
I dont know when there has been a more exciting collection of young players.
Every Sunday will expose gems and weaknesses but it will be intriguing.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just want a win in game one. I don’t care how pretty or how ugly.
Win or lose, enjoy or suffer for a day. Or even be impartial. Then move on to game 2.

It is a long season, and a lot of games to play.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it matter? Without a real HC this team always folds like a cheap suit in the end.
To back up your point about fading late, the Cowboys haven’t been good on Turkey Day lately. We are 5-8 on Thanksgiving Day games in the 13 seasons we’ve been at AT&T Stayjum. That’s spread out over 3 different head coaches- Wade, Garrett and Big Mac. Wade was 1-0, Garrett was 4-6 and Big Mac is 0-2.

Shane612

Reaction score
It’s one game. Now if it were game 6 and we’re 2-4, that’s different.

So…What if we win 35-10? Is this team a juggernaut? Or is it possible that Father Time really has caught Brady and the Bucs really aren’t that good? Is a dominant win in game 1 any more convincing than a loss?

The actual truth is none of us knows what a single team is going to be in the NFL this year. How many of us picked the Ben-gals to win the AFC last year? Probably zero.
The possibility of the cowboys getting blown out is far greater than them winning big against the Bucs...IMO
So, if they happen to beat the Bucs, or lose a close game, I'll have to wait and see more games. However, if the cowboys get blasted by 14, or more points, it'll just affirm my fear so...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is a very winnable game. Tom Brady is the Tampa Bay bucs and for once he seems a bit vulnerable.

If the coaching staff did its job over the off season and eliminates the penalties there is no reason why we can't win this game.

I'm taking them one at a time
The teams ability to improve the penalties
Will be a major storyline this year.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
To back up your point about fading late, the Cowboys haven’t been good on Turkey Day lately. We are 5-8 on Thanksgiving Day games in the 13 seasons we’ve been at AT&T Stayjum.

The Cowboys were 26-14-1 on Thanksgiving prior to Jerry's new stayjum, a .646 winning percentage. Since then, 5-8, a .385 winning percentage.

I don't think the building is really the problem, though. They were 17-8-1 with Landry and Jimmy, 14-14 since Jimmy. An advantage no more.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'll try. I will really try.

Typically, if the Cowboys win, it's Super Bowl, baby!

If they lose? Season in the trashcan!

That is, until the next game. Then it's either redemption or fire the bums!

Actually, I'm slightly more composed now. However, you have to figure that a "fanatic" is going to be at least a little schizoid. I have my share.....and probably some of your other's as well.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
You can’t judge any team by the first few games, and especially not just THE first game. The Packers got drilled by the Saints in game 1 last year. It didn’t mean a thing as to how their season would go.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The teams ability to improve the penalties
Will be a major storyline this year.
Agreed it killed us last year we had the most penalties and the most holding penalties.

We are starting out a little compromised on offense this year anyway we certainly can't afford pre-snap and holding penalties that get us behind the chains and stall drives.

If McCarthy didn't get this fixed he needs to go and we need to get somebody that can instill the discipline to keep us from shooting ourselves in the foot.

He's a walk around coach that doesn't handle offense or defensive coordinator responsibilities so the least he can do is get a handle on these penalties.

ESisback

Reaction score
Agreed it killed us last year we had the most penalties and the most holding penalties.

We are starting out a little compromised on offense this year anyway we certainly can't afford pre-snap and holding penalties that get us behind the chains and stall drives.

If McCarthy didn't get this fixed he needs to go and we need to get somebody that can instill the discipline to keep us from shooting ourselves in the foot.

He's a walk around coach that doesn't handle offense or defensive coordinator responsibilities so the least he can do is get a handle on these penalties.

I wonder how much we can really fix the penalty problem. Pretty sure they’ll be watching Tyler Smith VERY closely, and I’d bet the farm we’ll set a new high for roughing the passer.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I wonder how much we can really fix the penalty problem. Pretty sure they’ll be watching Tyler Smith VERY closely, and I’d bet the farm we’ll set a new high for roughing the passer.

I can see the roughing the passer starting in earnest against Brady That's why I've been saying all week if we're going to get that penalty make it count and drive him into the turf.
Can't take that penalty for just grazing his helmet or touching his lower leg.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Love the guy, but posting that was a waste of time on this forum. This board is going to erupt from the first series throughout the rest of the season.

All of the fan favorites will have their threads.