Don't discount the impact of the analytics team

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Folks Jerry is a gullible old fool. Stephen is a nepotism football guy. They are clueless but prone to hubris. Can’t you see the analytics guys, like a band of Rasputins, telling the Jones dummies that dumpster diving is the way to go.

I see this as a real reason the off season is such a clown show. I don’t see many of you commenting on this.

Thoughts?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Folks Jerry is a gullible old fool. Stephen is a nepotism football guy. They are clueless but prone to hubris. Can’t you see the analytics guys, like a band of Rasputins, telling the Jones dummies that dumpster diving is the way to go.

I see this as a real reason the off season is such a clown show. I don’t see many of you commenting on this.

Thoughts?
AI is a great tool as long as it has great data.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I highly doubt it. It doesn't take an analytics team to tell them the back ups can step up and fill the departing FA's positions or how dumb it would be to extend you know who.
Who are these backups? The skinny LB coming off knee surgery? The 2 undrafted Interior Lineman? The really, really undersized RB? The powderkeg dummy DE that can’t stay out of trouble? The really strong guy that can’t play football at DT? All these guys stepping up huh?

Garrettop

Reaction score
Analytics got hot based on making a poor team marketable on peanuts. It has appropriate use on the margins but isn't appropriate for offloading decision making.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This team is valued like a Lamborghini dealership,but it's run like a buy here pay here used car joint. My Lord. Got Jerry in the garage turning odometers back on "cars" ...then sells us the all in crap. This organization has really regressed and it reminds me of the shape the team was in when Jerry bought the franchise. Everyone in the analytics room should be fired and replaced with monkeys. It would be an improvement.Unless we blow the doors off in the draft,find gems in Udfa, and sign a good player or two after June 1 cuts, we can expect this year to be hard to choke down.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thoughts?
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-teams-gotten-best-value-2012-rank-all-32#DAL
Must be doing something right. Ranked 4th best drafting team from 2012 to 2021.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You guys all watched moneyball. Bean and co looked for stats that would allow them to acquire players with undervalued assets.

Then you have what the fault and blame club are trying to sell.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who are these backups? The skinny LB coming off knee surgery? The 2 undrafted Interior Lineman? The really, really undersized RB? The powderkeg dummy DE that can’t stay out of trouble? The really strong guy that can’t play football at DT? All these guys stepping up huh?
Hoffman, Overshown, Ball, Williams...........

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Cowboys are old school. My guess is they are the last team that you’ll ever see revolutionize football analytics like the Houston Astros did with MLB.

Simple model. Keep everyone drafted by the team and hopefully have good drafts. Only sign bargain bin free agents. Try and penny pinch every homegrown free agent until you get a hometown discount. Long-term continuity at HC, QB and Systems. Market, market, market.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The biggest problem is Jerry wants data/info that supports what he wants to do.

Before the recent additions to the Analytics department (and I literally am a fan), they claimed to be "heavy analytics"

Yet, when they went dead set against analytics and drafted a RB 4th overall (and then later gave him a big 2nd contract), they claimed it was old school football.

Jerry's a con man and he doesn't have a sound belief system for building a football team. He does what he wants and tries to tell you why it was the correct decision after. Too many here fall for it.