Don't discount the impact of the analytics team

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
You guys all watched moneyball. Bean and co looked for stats that would allow them to acquire players with undervalued assets.

Then you have what the fault and blame club are trying to sell.
Did Bean ever win the world series? Never saw the movie.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The biggest problem is Jerry wants data/info that supports what he wants to do.

Before the recent additions to the Analytics department (and I literally am a fan), they claimed to be "heavy analytics"

Yet, when they went dead set against analytics and drafted a RB 4th overall (and then later gave him a big 2nd contract), they claimed it was old school football.

Jerry's a con man and he doesn't have a sound belief system for building a football team. He does what he wants and tries to tell you why it was the correct decision after. Too many here fall for it.
Yep, everyone wants an algorithm that solves every problem. However, you can always find statistics that allow subjective analysis eg Regular Season Cowboys (inc Dak) v Post-season Cowboys (inc Dak).

As you say Jerry will use statistics when it suits him. His performance/contract algorithm appears to be 'down' every year when he has to sign his top stars.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Did Bean ever win the world series? Never saw the movie.
Beane amended the algorithm and argument to suit his failings (ala Jerry), something about Moneyball only works through the 162 game season, but play-offs are a cr@pshoot.

The one aspect about Moneyball, which was totally overlooked was that Oakland had the best 1-2-3 SP rotation in baseball..... just use the stats you and disregard the rest.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Folks Jerry is a gullible old fool. Stephen is a nepotism football guy. They are clueless but prone to hubris. Can’t you see the analytics guys, like a band of Rasputins, telling the Jones dummies that dumpster diving is the way to go.

I see this as a real reason the off season is such a clown show. I don’t see many of you commenting on this.

Thoughts?
Jerry is not a gullible old fool. He is a savvy oil businessman who would still be filthy rich without the money he has made by owning the Cowboys. Stephen is an educated football guy groomed to be the future owner. Neither are the rubes you accuse them of being. The slander that you wish to assign to these gentlemen will not work.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Stop trying to make excuses for the Jones clan ....... they simply do not know what they are doing and change the direction of team building on whatever an old senile mans current mood is.

They are those type of fantasy football players ........ who are really into it and enthusiastic, but does not do any research or do any of the work,and just plays by their current favorites in a lopsided unbalanced way.

Sandyf

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Dallas didn't really start any analytics until sometime last year and didn't have much in place until late in the season. They have hired some impressive football analytics people so just maybe we will see how they affect the draft and the season. Analytics can be useful especially in evaluating players who have had injuries and their recovery time. It does have parameters for character and we will see how that plays out especially if we draft T'Von Sweat who by all indications has huge character concerns.

Will it make a difference on how Jerry does things? Will it make a difference on if we extend Dak or CeeDee or Parsons? Will it make a difference on how McCarthy calls plays? Guess we should start to know in the draft.

Several teams have removed players from their boards due to injury concerns but Jerry never has so we will see.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many playoff wins though? These rankings are meaningless.
Then, so is this entire thread. Drafting, playing and coaching are all different things. All some of you see is Jerry or Dak. The FanZone has become the WhineZone. You post a thread I respond with a fact and not a whine, so, obviously I'm wrong and you're right. LOL!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cowboys are old school. My guess is they are the last team that you’ll ever see revolutionize football analytics like the Houston Astros did with MLB.

Simple model. Keep everyone drafted by the team and hopefully have good drafts. Only sign bargain bin free agents. Try and penny pinch every homegrown free agent until you get a hometown discount. Long-term continuity at HC, QB and Systems. Market, market, market.
you mean billy bean and the A'S? They literally have movies about this team these are the ones that created moneyball which are the early creation of analytics and they made it work... So the Houston Astros fan here thinks that somehow they created baseball just because they had the most recent great run by a single team but they didn't.... Lots of dominating teams have come through baseball but the ones who started this whole Moneyball thing was the Oakland A's...

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
you mean billy bean and the A'S? They literally have movies about this team these are the ones that created moneyball which are the early creation of analytics and they made it work... So the Houston Astros fan here thinks that somehow they created baseball just because they had the most recent great run by a single team but they didn't.... Lots of dominating teams have come through baseball but the ones who started this whole Moneyball thing was the Oakland A's...
A’s are only popular from the movie, but the Astros were ones who took it to next level analyzing player tendencies and using modern technology and programming. Doing weird stuff that worked like moving all infielders to different area of field. Pulled a Belichick too and started stealing signals. Have gone from one of the more mediocre franchises in MLB history, to the Pennant game 7 years in a row and counting, played in several World Series and rest of MLB is playing catch-up. Cowboys would never do something like that under the Jones Boys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A’s are only popular from the movie, but the Astros were ones who took it to next level analyzing player tendencies and using modern technology and programming. Doing weird stuff that worked like moving all infielders to different area of field. Pulled a Belichick too and started stealing signals. Have gone from one of the more mediocre franchises in MLB history, to the Pennant game 7 years in a row and counting, played in several World Series and rest of MLB is playing catch-up. Cowboys would never do something like that under the Jones Boys.
Doesn't matter who took it to the next level , it's the creators , it's the inventors, it's the originators are the ones that should be named first, that's OK because I'm a Rangers fan so please don't bring that Houston nonsense in here lol...

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Then, so is this entire thread. Drafting, playing and coaching are all different things. All some of you see is Jerry or Dak. The FanZone has become the WhineZone. You post a thread I respond with a fact and not a whine, so, obviously I'm wrong and you're right. LOL!
Huh? Why so sensitive? Glad you responded. My point was that how can we consider the drafts to be good when this team can’t get over the hump? Something isn’t right. Of course it starts with Jerry but I think we overestimate the talent a bit here. I certainly didn’t mean to start a food fight with you.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Folks Jerry is a gullible old fool. Stephen is a nepotism football guy. They are clueless but prone to hubris. Can’t you see the analytics guys, like a band of Rasputins, telling the Jones dummies that dumpster diving is the way to go.

I see this as a real reason the off season is such a clown show. I don’t see many of you commenting on this.

Thoughts?
I'd be prone to comment on the situation with the Cowboys more, if only I weren't so disturbed over their obvious demise! :omg:

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
How many playoff wins though? These rankings are meaningless.
Its not so much a player issue its a culture issue.

You saw how Parcells turned it around but sadly the Jethro, Wade and Jason culture took over and here we are spinning our wheels.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? Why so sensitive? Glad you responded. My point was that how can we consider the drafts to be good when this team can’t get over the hump? Something isn’t right. Of course it starts with Jerry but I think we overestimate the talent a bit here. I certainly didn’t mean to start a food fight with you.
Sorry, just too many negatives around here lately....I'm a bit touchy.....go Cowboys

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Sorry, just too many negatives around here lately....I'm a bit touchy.....go Cowboys
Lol the negativity is warranted. If we are being honest now more than ever. Just wait until the season starts. If they get off to a bad start this place will be a hellscape.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol the negativity is warranted. If we are being honest now more than ever. Just wait until the season starts. If they get off to a bad start this place will be a hellscape.
Can't wait.....lol