News: Dorance Armstrong excited about his future with the Cowboys

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
OT backup further than the rest of the linemen on passing downs. If a guy can hit that OT with some good force, he could easily knock him off balance. Osa played at DE some last year and looked pretty good on the edge.

You're too busy eyeballing the Cowboys you don't like, so you can make nasty comments about them instead of watching the games. So you never noticed Farniok playing pretty good at center when a lot of people did. You didn't notice Osa playing good on the edge when a lot of people did. You didn't notice Zeke gutting it out when a lot of people did. You're blinded by your own hate, so you really don't know as much as you think you do.

Watch the games instead of zooming in on the players you don't like.

Love Osa, but we need him at DT and that is where his future is. Plenty of options at DE.

Zeke gutting it out? You mean Zeke refusing to sit out for the good of the team so that he could get his 1000 yard season?

Farniok "playing pretty good"

You mean against 3rd string Eagles players the last week of the season? When he ran over the same #30 3rd string safety twice?

Looks I noticed a lot more than you did.

Why is CowboyRoy ALWAYS RIGHT?

Why is Dak our franchise QB? Why does Zeke continue to fade and get worse and worse? Why is Biadasz still the strarting center? Why is Cooper gone and Lamb our #1? Why is Garrett gone and was a disaster just like CowboyRoy said he was? Why did Garrett never get another HC job in the NFL like CowboyRoy predicted?

At some point you just start listening to those of us that know football.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not sure on the total first down starts without looking up, maybe worthwhile, Arms did have 5 sacks last year, 12 QB hits, and 3 TFLs.
We need to see more production from him, but thats not horrible stats for situational role, and would be an extra bonus to find out if this player gets stronger with more reps.
If he performs up to a poor mans Greg Ellis that will be a wise investment on a 4th rounder.
He is young with Q's proto size at 6'4" 262lbs, he has added some needed size this offseason and this defense needs that "OLB/DE" type, I want to see Arms improve on his ground game, stopping the run consistent.
That will be his calling card for more starts, and thats what TC will start to reveal.

Hes a high end JAG from what I can see.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Love Osa, but we need him at DT and that is where his future is. Plenty of options at DE.

Zeke gutting it out? You mean Zeke refusing to sit out for the good of the team so that he could get his 1000 yard season?

Farniok "playing pretty good"

You mean against 3rd string Eagles players the last week of the season? When he ran over the same #30 3rd string safety twice?

Looks I noticed a lot more than you did.

Why is CowboyRoy ALWAYS RIGHT?

Why is Dak our franchise QB? Why does Zeke continue to fade and get worse and worse? Why is Biadasz still the strarting center? Why is Cooper gone and Lamb our #1? Why is Garrett gone and was a disaster just like CowboyRoy said he was? Why did Garrett never get another HC job in the NFL like CowboyRoy predicted?

At some point you just start listening to those of us that know football.
If you know football and you're the almighty knowledgeable fan, as you say, then how come you can't convince the circle of hate that Dak is not the problem?

That is a rhetorical question, BTW.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I don't blame him ..... I would be happy being paid to play a handful of plays a game.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm not sure he makes the 53.
Really? They just gave him $6 million guaranteed. He's more than likely a game 1 starter, if not he's still going to get a bunch of snaps.

Yeah, he's already made the 53 with that contract. Tarrell Basham ($1.25 million prorated sb left on cap) and even Dante Fowler ($1 million guaranteed) are DEs that aren't guaranteed a roster spot.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you know football and you're the almighty knowledgeable fan, as you say, then how come you can't convince the circle of hate that Dak is not the problem?

That is a rhetorical question, BTW.

I am not trying convince them. Only expose them.

Some people are just too biased to think logically.

You can see it happening with Lamb and Shultz. Cooper cry babies that for whatever reason have developed a bias against those two players.

Makes no sense to me, but it makes them easy targets when they hate players that are actually doing their jobs well.

conner01

Reaction score
I can't say that I see a reason to believe at this point in his career that he can be anything more than what he has been — a solid rotational player. I see him as a run-down edge defender who gives way to either Fowler or Williams in passing situations. He's not a bad player to have unless neither Fowler nor Williams is able to establish himself as a pass rusher.
He’s got better every year
For a developmental type player that’s exactly what you want
He’s never gonna be a super star but he’s a solid rotational guy who plays hard and has a great attitude

fivetwos

Reaction score
In a very controversial offseason, the move I personally thought the worst of was giving this guy 13 million dollars.

Total knee jerk reaction to the Gregory situation.

Dre11

Reaction score
He only kicks inside on 3rd down type situations. He's a 5T end.

Not this year, they're moving him inside mostly this year.

Offseason | 2022
Chauncey Golston Embracing New Role In Year 2
May 26, 2022 at 02:00 PM
talizz0zpcpeke9m0ypf.jpg

Kyle Youmans

On-Air Host / Producer

mu4gsshzct4z2scoeofq.jpg

Callena Williams/Dallas Cowboys
FRISCO – This time last season, Chauncey Golston was just entering his first moments in the NFL and preparing to make a leap into training camp. A leap that was hindered by a hamstring injury that limited his availability throughout the offseason as well as his production early in the regular season at the edge rusher spot.

Despite his lack of playing time early, his trajectory still pointed up as he made a significant impact both on special teams and in the defensive line rotation. This time around, during the first OTA practices, Golston is trending in a completely different direction - Inside.

Golston says he enters practice nearly 20-pounds heavier than his playing weight last season and took early snaps with both the edge rushers and interior defensive lineman. Even with the added weight, he appeared quick off the snap and was moving better than he ever did last season.

But why would he be working with a crowded room of defensive tackles with Neville Gallimore, Osa Odighizuwa, and Trysten Hill all in the fold?

Simply enough, it's a size mismatch.

"It's something that Coach Quinn has talked about since last year," Golston said. "With my long arms, it'll be tougher for inside lineman to get their hands off of me."

Mike McCarthy and Dan Quinn have been known to value the versatility of a defensive front in the past. Especially last season when nearly everyone who played on the defensive line shifted inside at some point.

Gholston, who played 126 of his 413 defensive snaps as a defensive tackle last season, fits the mold of a position versatile pass rusher. His length would be a much bigger mismatch for the shorter arms of interior lineman than it would be for the longer offensive tackle opponents. Something the defensive staff could utilize most of the time in his second season.

One concern with a full-time move, is how he'll combat the frequent double-teams. The answer seemingly has been bulking up and building a bigger frame. He has certainly done that in his first full offseason as a pro.

"I'm willing to play wherever they need me," Golston said. "I'd even suit up and play left tackle if that's what they wanted me to do. I'm not sure how well that would go, but I'd do it."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/chauncey-golston-embracing-new-role-in-year-2

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Everybody gets overpaid, but I don't mind prepayment if it's on a decent gamble, and if Armstrong has been doing what he is supposed to be doing this offseason than I have no problem with the upside/ceiling on this player.
Invest in your draft picks, this franchise is 100 percent in on the drafting process, we all know that from FA activity being modest.
Arms put on a few pounds of bulk this offseason, lets see if that translates to edge strength and run stopping improvement.
If so, than we made a very wise early evaluation.
Here's to hoping you are right !
:thumbup:

conner01

Reaction score
In a very controversial offseason, the move I personally thought the worst of was giving this guy 13 million dollars.

Total knee jerk reaction to the Gregory situation.
It’s 12 mil but really it’s 2 years 10 mil since the last year is voidable

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Not this year, they're moving him inside mostly this year.

Offseason | 2022
Chauncey Golston Embracing New Role In Year 2
May 26, 2022 at 02:00 PM
talizz0zpcpeke9m0ypf.jpg

Kyle Youmans

On-Air Host / Producer

mu4gsshzct4z2scoeofq.jpg

Callena Williams/Dallas Cowboys
FRISCO – This time last season, Chauncey Golston was just entering his first moments in the NFL and preparing to make a leap into training camp. A leap that was hindered by a hamstring injury that limited his availability throughout the offseason as well as his production early in the regular season at the edge rusher spot.

Despite his lack of playing time early, his trajectory still pointed up as he made a significant impact both on special teams and in the defensive line rotation. This time around, during the first OTA practices, Golston is trending in a completely different direction - Inside.

Golston says he enters practice nearly 20-pounds heavier than his playing weight last season and took early snaps with both the edge rushers and interior defensive lineman. Even with the added weight, he appeared quick off the snap and was moving better than he ever did last season.

But why would he be working with a crowded room of defensive tackles with Neville Gallimore, Osa Odighizuwa, and Trysten Hill all in the fold?

Simply enough, it's a size mismatch.

"It's something that Coach Quinn has talked about since last year," Golston said. "With my long arms, it'll be tougher for inside lineman to get their hands off of me."

Mike McCarthy and Dan Quinn have been known to value the versatility of a defensive front in the past. Especially last season when nearly everyone who played on the defensive line shifted inside at some point.

Gholston, who played 126 of his 413 defensive snaps as a defensive tackle last season, fits the mold of a position versatile pass rusher. His length would be a much bigger mismatch for the shorter arms of interior lineman than it would be for the longer offensive tackle opponents. Something the defensive staff could utilize most of the time in his second season.

One concern with a full-time move, is how he'll combat the frequent double-teams. The answer seemingly has been bulking up and building a bigger frame. He has certainly done that in his first full offseason as a pro.

"I'm willing to play wherever they need me," Golston said. "I'd even suit up and play left tackle if that's what they wanted me to do. I'm not sure how well that would go, but I'd do it."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/chauncey-golston-embracing-new-role-in-year-2
He's a 5T DE that can move inside in pass rush situations. Just like Michael Bennett did for Quinn with the seahawks. This was always Quinn's vision for him and it hasn't changed.

Dre11

Reaction score
He's a 5T DE that can move inside in pass rush situations. Just like Michael Bennett did for Quinn with the seahawks. This was always Quinn's vision for him and it hasn't changed.

Whether it's been Fan Quinn's vision or not, they asked him to add weight and move inside this year.

Now, as the second phase of OTAs begins Wednesday, Golston is prepping to make a notable move toward the inside of the line. He can still play at end on some downs. But on passing downs? He can be a force inside.

Already measured with a 6-5, 268-pound frame at the end of last season, the 24-year-old says he's already added 20 pounds, an addition that could help as he conditions himself to a new position.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I personally seeing Fowler as a vested veteran casualty, yes he has the experience but has a spotty track record, if one of the young bucks show he is close to on par I think Fowler gets cut before week 1 and brought back after week 1.

Dre11

Reaction score

“He may take more snaps as an interior defensive lineman than a he would as an edge rusher…. They want him to be versatile and right now, he’s showing off that versatility in the early part of OTAs.”

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Whether it's been Fan Quinn's vision or not, they asked him to add weight and move inside this year.

Now, as the second phase of OTAs begins Wednesday, Golston is prepping to make a notable move toward the inside of the line. He can still play at end on some downs. But on passing downs? He can be a force inside.

Already measured with a 6-5, 268-pound frame at the end of last season, the 24-year-old says he's already added 20 pounds, an addition that could help as he conditions himself to a new position.
We need help asap inside, G is changing his game to accommodate this FOs shortcomings, lets hope we do not ruin him.

Dre11

Reaction score
We need help asap inside, G is changing his game to accommodate this FOs shortcomings, lets hope we do not ruin him.

I think they have done a good job of addressing the inside. Gallimore getting hurt was problematic, but I think with him back healthy, Osi, Bohanna, Golston, Watkins, and hopefully Ridgeway, their rotation is set.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

He's added weight but the only time he's going inside is in pass rush situations.