Dozens of Dairy Queens to close after franchisee files for bankruptcy

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crazy as it sounds Subway is who's hurting DQ. For years DQ was the only place to eat in these small towns and if you were traveling through rural Texas in the 80s and 90s DQ was your road food. Now there's a Subway in every convenience store in these same towns that is cheaper, healthier, and quicker. You can stop for gas, pee, grab a foot long, clean your windows, throw a bag of ice in the cooler, score some Skittles, and get a couple of scratch offs in half the time it takes to get through DQ.

That makes a lot of sense.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I think DQ needs to get out of the food service business and just be in the Ice Cream business. Sell cones, sell shakes, sell Banna Splits and Peanut Buster Parfaits. Sell Dilly Bars and maybe Ice Cream Cakes.

Get out of the business of selling crappy fast food, that is not as good as most chains and a lot more expensive IMO.

JMO
Yeah, you are right. The brazier burger was good...years ago. But, basically they had a certain market in Canada it was a summertime thing and was successful based on that...again, I am speaking about years ago.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Crazy as it sounds Subway is who's hurting DQ. For years DQ was the only place to eat in these small towns and if you were traveling through rural Texas in the 80s and 90s DQ was your road food. Now there's a Subway in every convenience store in these same towns that is cheaper, healthier, and quicker. You can stop for gas, pee, grab a foot long, clean your windows, throw a bag of ice in the cooler, score some Skittles, and get a couple of scratch offs in half the time it takes to get through DQ.
Interesting.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Interesting.

The limited times I've had in rural Texas towns were always pleasant ,as the permit to freight wide loads issued by that state,(all states really, except New Mexico as they really didn't seem to care:lmao:) you're routed ,sometimes hundreds of miles( it seems) out of the way to clear low overpasses, narrow roads,whatever, but the sheriff's department was on top of it and would provide traffic control while two rigs freighting a big honking Texas sized double wide thru a two fuel pump town needing to fuel up, I like texaso_O

haleyrules

Reaction score
The limited times I've had in rural Texas towns were always pleasant ,as the permit to freight wide loads issued by that state,(all states really, except New Mexico as they really didn't seem to care:lmao:) you're routed ,sometimes hundreds of miles( it seems) out of the way to clear low overpasses, narrow roads,whatever, but the sheriff's department was on top of it and would provide traffic control while two rigs freighting a big honking Texas sized double wide thru a two fuel pump town needing to fuel up, I like texaso_O
I like Texas and Texans too. Plenty of Texans livin here. Good, serious and solid people.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Most of the DQ's in this area are in poor locations and are a bit outdated.

I think the lack of a drive thru has hurt them as well.
I've never seen a DQ without a drive thru. The one closest to me is pretty good. Red onion on their burgers, hell yea. There is another one further away owned by someone else and it's garbage.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I've never seen a DQ without a drive thru. The one closest to me is pretty good. Red onion on their burgers, hell yea. There is another one further away owned by someone else and it's garbage.

Some of the older ones that have been around a while don't have indoor seating, let alone drive thrus. I would bet they are the ones in bigger jeopardy of being closed.

dairy-queen-classic.jpg

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Some of the older ones that have been around a while don't have indoor seating, let alone drive thrus. I would bet they are the ones in bigger jeopardy of being closed.

dairy-queen-classic.jpg

Holy crap, where is that. I’ve never seen it.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Meh...overrated like Whataburger.

*overrated doesn't mean I don't like it (I do), but it's not as good as a lot of people act like it is.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
DQ was in the OKC area for years and pretty much everything on the menu was pretty good then slowly disappeared in the late 90s/2000s. They opened a few new locations in the area over the last several years and they were horrible and horribly overpriced. Not surprised.

Them

Reaction score
...All I remember is a Dairy Queen right off the causeway at Padre Island...One could go to the beach, walk over to the DQ for refreshments, and some cold AC...lol.
Dairy Queen has been around many decades in the Corpus area. That Island DQ closed a long time ago.
Yes,there are many more people living in the area now; there also is much more business competition for the Franchise.
I noticed mostly Texas DQs on that closure list...I didn't see Corpus listed. There are a few DQ scattered about the city. I do not expect them to be around much longer... yet they are quite nostalgic ...a reminder of simpler times... pity!
This is how the old Padre Island DQ used to look like:
xCusglf.jpg

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I remember as a kid my parents would always stop at the DQ and get us an ice cream cone. They used to always do the little loop on the top of the ice cream. My dad used to make us sit in the car while he got the cones. And it never failed that on his delivery of the cones to us he would alway eat the little loop off the top. Used to make me so mad. I guess it was too temping for him.

CODE_BLUE56

Reaction score
Meh...overrated like Whataburger.

*overrated doesn't mean I don't like it (I do), but it's not as good as a lot of people act like it is.

I like Whataburger, and their food is the attraction point, whereas DQ it's the cold stuff. I'm curious what their sales breakdown is, especially relative to what's on their menu.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of the problem with fast food restaurants in general is that there are simply too many of them. Restaurant growth has been double what the actual population growth in the US has been. I think we've reached a tipping point where there are just too many restaurants... Especially in certain categories like the burger/fry thing.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of the problem with fast food restaurants in general is that there are simply too many of them.
My hometown is known as the fast food capital of the world. The fast food restaurant to population ratio is frightening. No different with convenient stores. At times all that is handy but overall, its just too much. There are over a dozen different places within 3 miles I can get a pizza and I live on the very edge of town. In NY or LA that might make sense. In Doo Dah Kansas, not so much.